What's new

PannaCrema Nuavia Passaround - round 2

What is this travesty? Page three??? Let us take up arms and fix that! Okay, drama over. Nuavia just arrived. Woohoo.

0. dfoulk - shipped 6/24/2016

1. elvergun - shipped box on 7/5/2016
2. xillion - shipped box on 7/11/2016
3. JAM62377 - shipped box on 7/19/2016
4. NyquistRate - in possession
5. Grundi
6. bobmsp
7. Kaidoh
8. David2340
9. Chumango
10. lloydrm
11. paintflinger
12. Smattayu
13. sfeile
14. Lfs70
15. Thundert65
16.Parjay
17.JayEddie
18.Handjam
19. JSouthard825
20. back to dfoulk

$20160722_093245.jpg

No question, this is a large box.

@dfoulk took great care in packaging this soap:
$20160722_094020.jpg

PannaCrema really does present an experience in Nuavia, with the customized message:
$20160722_094147.jpg

These bowls are beautiful and contain quite a bit of soap at 200ml (6.76 ounces):
$20160722_094536.jpg

Here's a comparison pic to some other soap containers. Left to right, Nancy Boy, TOBS, GFT, Tabac:
$20160722_094838.jpg

The soap is somewhat soft like Barrister & Mann or Saint Charles Shave.

From reading the scent profile (on-paper) I expected to like green, blue then red. In person my views changed to red, green with blue last. Funny, my wife liked the same order as my on-paper expectations. I won't try to break down the scents but they are quite complex. In very generic categories: I THINK red is "earthy/woody." My wife calls blue "musky" and green just smells "fresh."

How was the first shave? More to come. 😀.

Nice job so far on the review. From PannaCrema that information card usually has your name hand written on it but for the passaround it's not really for one person. Marco just send me refills and some new literature for this round and I reused the original crocks. The old card had my name hand written on it. A really nice touch if you ask me.

I've been impressed with the reviews this round. You guys are all doing a great job there.

Excellent pictorial review [MENTION=78901]NyquistRate[/MENTION]
I think it's interesting you find red to be your favorite scent While others find it to be their least favorite, it seems like all of us have different preferences on Nuavia sent which is a really good thing. I have a sample of the red but have yet to shave with it as I got the pass around boxes before I got a chance. Your review has solidified Nuavia red as my very first shave when pass around box 3 is gone.
I agree with David, excellent excellent reviews this round. Thank you gentleman!

Excellent pictorial review @NyquistRate
I think it's interesting you find red to be your favorite scent While others find it to be their least favorite, it seems like all of us have different preferences on Nuavia sent which is a really good thing. I have a sample of the red but have yet to shave with it as I got the pass around boxes before I got a chance. Your review has solidified Nuavia red as my very first shave when pass around box 3 is gone.
I agree with David, excellent excellent reviews this round. Thank you gentleman!

I like the Rossa and the Verde about the same...and I like both more than the Blu.

People with sophisticated tastes prefer the Rossa. :laugh: This was scientifically proven (I just read the article on CNN).

But hey, if you gave me a Blu for my birthday, I would give you the biggest and most sincere thank you ever.

Do keep smelling them for a week then tell me again what your favorite scent is. They grow on you the more you smell them.

I can't pick a favorite anymore as it depends on the day it is and what I'm in the mood for.

Great reviews, thus far

Am not a 100% sure. But we may need to bump my turn down a person.
7. Kaidoh
8. David2340
Am going to a few random places from Aug.6-15. It would really depend on hows the passaround is going. In my mind the box will get to me on the 15th, which is the last day of the random trips and will be home by that evening.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I would describe it as similar to AdG but with a twist. It's fresh in the same way but with subtle differences to set it apart. Regardless, it would pair really well with AdG or any similar citrus scented fragrance.

I used the soap this morning. Same great performance as the Blu. I used a bit of Fine Fresh Vetiver and a splash of Witch Hazel to top it all off. Face feels great!

I like the Rossa and the Verde about the same...and I like both more than the Blu.

People with sophisticated tastes prefer the Rossa. :laugh: This was scientifically proven (I just read the article on CNN).

But hey, if you gave me a Blu for my birthday, I would give you the biggest and most sincere thank you ever.

That's so funny. I agree with much in this post!

Do keep smelling them for a week then tell me again what your favorite scent is. They grow on you the more you smell them.

I can't pick a favorite anymore as it depends on the day it is and what I'm in the mood for.

I'll definitely keep smelling them. My wife is going to be so tired of hearing, "What does this smell like?" Likewise, @Elvergun I wouldn't reject the SCENT of any of them. However, I'm holding judgement on the blue until another shave.

In this corner we have Nuavia blue with a starting weight of 651.14g in the container. SOTD:
$IMG_20160722_151711.jpg

I had some odd clumps in the brush after loading:
$IMG_20160722_153947.jpg$IMG_20160722_153957.jpg

The first pass was thick and (after working all the clumps) was very creamy with a nice sheen:
$IMG_20160722_154315.jpg$IMG_20160722_154321.jpg

That first pass was good. I had zero irritation and the trouble spot on my chin gave no problem.

Last edited:
That first pass had very little slickness and even less residual slickness. I added a little water to the face and reapplied, thinning the second and third passes:

$IMG_20160722_154926.jpg

These two passes allowed more blade feel and introduced a little irritation. The trouble spot near the chin was still comfortable, though. I'm not sure if it was the cushion or some fragrance oils but I had a slightly irritated, tight and dry face feel. My cheeks were glad smooth, though.

How many swirls did you do?

Friday I loaded for 20-30 seconds, not sure about the number of swirls.

Second shave was better! In Saturday's corner we find the scent champion, PC red. Weighing in at 648.8g:
$image.jpg

I went in slightly wetter for a modified Marco method. Not quite a sopping wet brush, more of slung with a little more water left in than yesterday. I loaded longer but with no pressure on the tips, producing a wonderfully creamy protolather:
$image.jpg

The brush looked better also:
$image.jpg

I squeezed all of the lather out of the brush for pass three and it was thick but wet:
$image.jpg

Sorry, I don't rate numbers to soap/lather characteristics. I do compare to my previously known soaps so that others can compare to a known reference. Here are my shave log notes on the resulting shave:

Shave: less irritation but still slightly after pass 2. felt blade but no irritation on right chin transition. Protection: less than Tabac and AoSt. Slickness: less than AoSt, allowed min buff passes, less than KMF. little residual slickness. Lather: modified Marco method: Used slung brush, but wetter than yesterday and face lathered after good protolather formed. No/min clumps of soap in the mixture. creamy yogurt. Face feel: glass smooth on cheeks. some neck left hairs. skin soft, only slightly tight. min irritation. neck not red. no alum.​

PC red provided a huge step up for today's shave. I'll try the blue again in a few hours (Sunday's shave).

[MENTION=78901]NyquistRate[/MENTION] So far I'm liking your review very much; to use your own words, hard to beat :)

Let me tell you though that your lather is no good. There's no perceivable difference between soaps if you add that much water, you can just detect a scent difference and that's all. If can give you an advice (it's free!) don't use the Marco's method with soft soaps, that works well with hard soaps (the barbers here call it the English method), but with soft soaps there's enough water in the soap itself.

Looking forward to your next shave ;)

I would describe it as similar to AdG but with a twist. It's fresh in the same way but with subtle differences to set it apart. Regardless, it would pair really well with AdG or any similar citrus scented fragrance.

I used the soap this morning. Same great performance as the Blu. I used a bit of Fine Fresh Vetiver and a splash of Witch Hazel to top it all off. Face feels great!

Nuàvia Verde's scent has been developed in Grasse (France).
The top notes are fresh and aromatic:

• Grapefruit
  • Bay Leaves
  • Rose
The middle notes are woody:

• Cedarwood
  • Vetyver
  • Precious Wood
Base notes are Amber:

• Amber
  • White Musk
  • Goldmoss

http://www.pannacrema.com/en/nuavia/72-nuavia-verde.html
Thank you, @IMightBeWrong and @tonich. This scent sounds complex. When I was younger, my sense of smell wasn't very good, but my medical/health situation changed, and I'm able to smell scents better now (although I'm still not good at separating individual "notes").

@NyquistRate, great pictures and review. I plan to get my wife involved, too, with the "what does this smell like to you" part of the review.

@NyquistRate So far I'm liking your review very much; to use your own words, hard to beat :)

Let me tell you though that your lather is no good. There's no perceivable difference between soaps if you add that much water, you can just detect a scent difference and that's all. If can give you an advice (it's free!) don't use the Marco's method with soft soaps, that works well with hard soaps (the barbers here call it the English method), but with soft soaps there's enough water in the soap itself.

Thank you, sir, [MENTION=52339]MrDentini[/MENTION]. I don't use (what I call) a full Marco method with any soap. In post #240 I used my usual loading method by starting with a very dry brush and added a little water at a time. It was a thick, cushiony lather I perceived a glide problem. That was why I thinned the subsequent lathers. Looking at the lather in post 240, are you suggesting a drier load?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...avia-Passaround-round-2?p=8395112#post8395112

Last edited:
@NyquistRate So far I'm liking your review very much; to use your own words, hard to beat :)

The original Marco's Method revolves around using it with Italian croaps. Not really sure why it wouldn't work here. I guess I'll get to find out in a couple of months when the passaround hits me.

Also, [MENTION=78901]NyquistRate[/MENTION], I think your lather looks great! Looks to me to be super slick.

Top Bottom