What's new

First Shavette shave.

So I got my Parker SRX in this afternoon and couldn't wait to shave. So I hopped in the shower so soften up and then used my new VDH Shave Butter (havn't had much success with soaps they dry me out so fast). I used the shark blade included and took it slow. I only did one pass on the cheeks and mustache and touch ups, then did two passes on my neck with touch ups. I only got 2 little scrapes that did not bleed. All in all im loving this compared to a de shave. But I'm feeling that this is a bit to light so i have to push the blade. Would a real straight razor cure that?

But I'm feeling that this is a bit to light so i have to push the blade. Would a real straight razor cure that?

That is the main problem I have with Parkers. They are very light (except for the all metal one). You almost have to put some pressure one them to get them to cut, and since the DE blade is so sharp, shaving it right on the hair edge of cutting your skin, so the moment you lose focus, it digs in. I've done it many times. Practice will take most of that worry away, but it can still happen.

A real straight razor is completely different. Different in feel , and different in shave. Heavier, smoother, and more forgiving. Other brands of shavette are better than the parkers in this regard too, like the Weck and the Feather. But I still go back to the parkers every now and then.

@TheVez2 yeah I was afraid of the lack of weight so I got the all metal one, the SRX. I'm going to keep at it to get the hang of this thing and if I enjoy it enough I think I'll contact Anthony Esposito about getting a Gold Dollar.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I definitely think you should try a straight, but I would suggest waiting a few weeks while you see what you can do with the shavette, since you have already started. First shave with a shavette is nothing at all like your 50th shave with a shavette, trust me. It will get better.

Be sure to stretch the skin really good. Keep the angle very low, pressure extremely light on trouble areas like the chin. You don't have to get it cleanly shaved on the first pass. First pass is all about beard reduction, not beard elimination, especially while learning. It sounds actually like you did not do bad at all for your first attempt, so don't be discouraged.

Slash is right. The more shaves you get under your belt the better. The biggest impulse to resist is swapping gear too fast. But I don't see anything wrong with keeping an eye out for something else if what you have is making you think twice. The changes that you'll go through in terms of technique will really surprise you over the course of 50-100+ shaves. Lightfoot out!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nothing wrong with getting a Whipped Dog sight unseen razor on the way from Larry, while you are trying that shavette? :)

Top Bottom