What's new

Show us your camp stove

I do not have a great deal of experience with camping, shameful I know :) but I'm hoping to rectify this in the future. I have a boy on the way, so I'm wanting to go camping, build fires and convince my son that I know what I'm doing ;)
Well I've bought a cheapy stove from China for a fiver, which I'm actually going to use for work travel, making coffee.
Anyways, heres the one
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

What stove do you carry and pot/pans etc

Man that little unit is cool! :thumbup1:
I don't camp enough, but could you ever? When I do though, I'm very lightly packed and simple. Things like stew's, rice or hot dogs are great to thermos cook, or if you're in the right spot I'll just take full advantage of a very small fire pit.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Keychain stove!

Ridiculous. Cool.

User of propane for many years ... switched to a biomass rocket stove recently. Propane's hard to get after a cataclysm (such as a hurricane: I speak from experience).

Backpacking: the Esbit. They stink, and they're great; both at the same time.

AA

$stove.jpg

I have an Etekcity stove, picked it since it has a piezo lighter built in. Fits in the cups, which fit in the kettle. A bottle of gas, a bottle of water, a couple folding sporks and some dehydrates. Not shown is some instant coffee, tea and soups.

When we would go fishing or hunting for the day we would make lunch to take with us. Sometimes it was eaten, more often though it went to waste. This kit, tossed in a pack, is lighter than packed lunches, takes about the same space and if not eaten nothing is wasted. A cold morning elk hunting, nothing beats a hot lunch and a hot cup of joe. This stove is amazing, it will boil the pot of water in just a minute or so. The Seva I backpacked with for years took 15 minutes or more to boil a cup full of water.

I have a couple of stoves for our fishing trips.

A smallish Primus Gravity for the days we are going light and just have hot drinks or maybe a soup, uses gas canisters.
$primus.jpg
A Coleman 533 that runs on unleaded, if we are settling in somewhere for a day
$coleman.jpg

And a combination of the 2 above and this Coleman double burner for when we do a 2 day trip and have a full English for breakfast on day 2:001_smile
$double.jpg

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The 533 bears closer examination ... hmmm ....

The Coleman camp fuel works fine in Zippos, BTW. (though never put any type of gasoline in one)

AA

Man that little unit is cool! :thumbup1:
I don't camp enough, but could you ever? When I do though, I'm very lightly packed and simple. Things like stew's, rice or hot dogs are great to thermos cook, or if you're in the right spot I'll just take full advantage of a very small fire pit.

I thought so too, tiny. Never cooked on a camp stove so I'll be experimenting.

Keychain stove!

Ridiculous. Cool.

User of propane for many years ... switched to a biomass rocket stove recently. Propane's hard to get after a cataclysm (such as a hurricane: I speak from experience).

Backpacking: the Esbit. They stink, and they're great; both at the same time.

AA

Teeny tiny, looks cool, hope it performs. Biomass stoves, was not aware of those, I'll have a ganders at those. What kind of biomass does it use?

View attachment 664523

I have an Etekcity stove, picked it since it has a piezo lighter built in. Fits in the cups, which fit in the kettle. A bottle of gas, a bottle of water, a couple folding sporks and some dehydrates. Not shown is some instant coffee, tea and soups.

When we would go fishing or hunting for the day we would make lunch to take with us. Sometimes it was eaten, more often though it went to waste. This kit, tossed in a pack, is lighter than packed lunches, takes about the same space and if not eaten nothing is wasted. A cold morning elk hunting, nothing beats a hot lunch and a hot cup of joe. This stove is amazing, it will boil the pot of water in just a minute or so. The Seva I backpacked with for years took 15 minutes or more to boil a cup full of water.

A teeny tiny stove too, looks like a good setup. Thats the next thing I need, stuff to cook with, although I'm a while of goin on any sort of trip.

Thats a quick boil time, cant wait to test this thing out, its going to be a coulple of weeks though.

I have a couple of stoves for our fishing trips.

A smallish Primus Gravity for the days we are going light and just have hot drinks or maybe a soup, uses gas canisters.
View attachment 664577
A Coleman 533 that runs on unleaded, if we are settling in somewhere for a day
View attachment 664575

And a combination of the 2 above and this Coleman double burner for when we do a 2 day trip and have a full English for breakfast on day 2:001_smile
View attachment 664578
A nice selection going on, you've done this a few times then?
Pardon my ignorance but until recently I never knew there was such a vast array of stoves, cool to see them all.

The hobo stove on the left is a stainless steel flatware caddy, also known as "Ikea hobo stove". Cutting a hole in it was pointless - you could as well just lift the pot and add wood from above. However, a lot of people on Youtube did and so did I. :laugh:
My favorite is the Coleman 400A on the right. Bought it on a flea market more than 20 years ago and it still works fine. :thumbup1:

Attachments

• $stoves.jpg
    $stoves.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 182
The hobo stove on the left is a stainless steel flatware caddy, also known as "Ikea hobo stove". Cutting a hole in it was pointless - you could as well just lift the pot and add wood from above. However, a lot of people on Youtube did and so did I. :laugh:
My favorite is the Coleman 400A on the right. Bought it on a flea market more than 20 years ago and it still works fine. :thumbup1:

I've seen the Ikea hobo stove somewhere, great idea that, may try that in the garden :)

A nice collection there. Still going strong after 20 years, well its paid for itself.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Stovetec" is the biomass rocket stove that I have.

Note: it's the opposite of a backpackers stove, heavy and best suited for car camping.

However, fuel is free, so.

AA

$image.jpeg
Thats my shaker for packing. It's a stock photo, mine is beat to hell and older but still works like new. I Dutch oven cook when car camping. I use a 3 burner cooktop in my camper.

Some cool looking setups here!

The little stove arrived today, all the way from China. Pretty quick for free delivery across the globe.

Just to show the size again, the stove next to my Spyderco Squeak.

Hope you don't lose it, as small as it is.
Size can be sometimes of advantage (have you seen the stove, where is it?) :001_smile

Haha I doubt I will, but possible, nope I change my mind. I will lose it. But for under £5 I would shed too many tears.

Well the stove was short lived. Thought I'd make the morning coffee to test it out. All seened good, strong flame and then 2 minutes in, it cut out. The stove felt really hot at the base, so I assume it over heats and stops the flow of gas?

Top Bottom