What's new

New to single edge razors

Hello All,

Could anyone point me in the direction of a single edge that is on the mild side or is that asking the impossible? I am new to the single edge and have read that some of these razors can be almost like shaving with a straight. That might cancel me out if that is the case.:001_huh:

I'm considering the Gem blades with the PTFE coating and need all of the direction you gentlemen can provide on my personal options concerning blades and possible razors.

Thank you, Kent

I'd suggest starting with a Gem Featherweight. They are smooth shavers, on the mild side, and you can pick one up on the 'Bay for next to nothing. They work well with the Gem PTFE coated blades (and just about any shaving quality SE blade, for that matter).

If you'd like to start with something a bit more aggressive (or when you're ready for a second SE), I'd highly recommend a 1912 (Gem or Ever-Ready). The 1912 is in the middle of the aggression scale and is the standard against which other razors are compared. Like the Featherweight they are inexpensive and easy to find.

The only SE's that I'd compare to shaving with a straight razor are those using wedge blades - the Star and Gem lather catchers, Rapide, C. V. Heljestrand, Wilkinson Empire, etc. Most SE's are no more difficult to use than a DE (easier, IMHO).

--Bob

As Bob said the Only SEs that are Comparable with an SR are Hollow Ground Blade SEs..Injector Razors are Very Good SEs as Well..The Later Schick Injector Models are Milder than the Earlier Ones and Very Forgiving Shavers..:w00t:

Billy

I agree Feather weight or the G bar (both Gem btw) are mild and very efficient shavers.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I agree with Billy and would recommend a later model Schick Injector razor with the currently manufactured Schick blades. That's a fairly mild combination and not very expensive.

I would suggest a Micromatic Clogpruf. My only experience with injectors has been that they are pretty aggressive, but then again, the only one I have used is what I believe to be an E model. Perhaps the E is more aggressive than the ones stated above.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Concerning the Schick razors which models or handles should be mild? On ebay there seems not to be much if any model numbers or names to tell them apart.

Also is an additional piece or part required to load and remove blades from the injector razors?

Thanks again, Kent

Kent, take a look at this http://www.renaldo.us/SchickRazors.php

It pretty much contains all the needed information for identifying Schick Injectors. Any of the Schick razors are excellent, but they tend to get milder as you move through the alphabet. The models from L on tend to be pretty mild. The models from G to K are medium. The models from A to F are somewhat aggressive, but not rough--not like a Fatip or R41. PAL Injecto-matics are also excellent razors, but a little more aggressive.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I would go with The G-Bar, retentively Cheap and are a very nice razor $_SWR1899.jpg

Kent, take a look at this http://www.renaldo.us/SchickRazors.php

It pretty much contains all the needed information for identifying Schick Injectors. Any of the Schick razors are excellent, but they tend to get milder as you move through the alphabet. The models from L on tend to be pretty mild. The models from G to K are medium. The models from A to F are somewhat aggressive, but not rough--not like a Fatip or R41. PAL Injecto-matics are also excellent razors, but a little more aggressive.

Thanks for the link, Steve

Top Bottom