What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

I think David knows where you can still buy some of this soap (NOS).

https://www.haircareandbeauty.com/art-of-shaving-shaving-soap-refill-sandalwood.html

The really nice thing about this soap is that it's a hard puck. For me (guessing) a puck would last me about five to six months of everyday shaves. So I'm not worried about running out of it. That and the fact that I have eight of these put aside.

This version is the older Valobra made soap. The one in the AOS stores now is not nearly as good.

David,

I have still yet to crack open the Lemon with Tallow you found me. I look at it and think, I can never have this again, and I get torn as to when to use it. LOL Maybe this weekend will see it's first brush. Good to know you can still get some of the old stock out there, but my guess is they are VERY few and far between.

https://www.haircareandbeauty.com/art-of-shaving-shaving-soap-refill-sandalwood.html

The really nice thing about this soap is that it's a hard puck. For me (guessing) a puck would last me about five to six months of everyday shaves. So I'm not worried about running out of it. That and the fact that I have eight of these put aside.

This version is the older Valobra made soap. The one in the AOS stores now is not nearly as good.

David,

I have still yet to crack open the Lemon with Tallow you found me. I look at it and think, I can never have this again, and I get torn as to when to use it. LOL Maybe this weekend will see it's first brush. Good to know you can still get some of the old stock out there, but my guess is they are VERY few and far between.

Yeah, open it up and use it. Those pucks last a really long time so putting it into your soap rotation and even using it once a week it would last you several years. Besides it's not like all kinds of really great new soaps aren't coming out all the time. So when it's finally gone several years from now, you won't have that soap but there will be several others to take it's place.

Cold River Soap Works Olivia Colonia Mediterrania
$20160721_184401.jpg
$20160721_184709.jpg

First off I think I put a little too much air in this lather but still ended up with a Hilariously slick shave! I was expecting a really good soap but was shocked at how good Cold River Soap Works was able to make an olive oil based soap. If you've ever made soap with olive oil you know it is slick so I was expecting that but the cushion is incredible as well, something that olive oil soaps typically lack. I can tell there is a lot of stearic acid in here due to the ease of lathering and quickness of lathering. I would imagine steric acid is probably the primary ingredient still but I can tell there's enough olive oil in here to take the slickness off-the-charts! I will be looking up the ingredients right after this to see how much olive oil they actually used. I did about three passes with the first round of lather before I realized I should probably apply some more lather, it is that slick. As a result of this I do have a little irritation but I did quite literally three passes with a feather blade and only one round of lather. I will definitely be purchasing two or three tins of this for my personal collection and will be able to give better reviews in the future.

Slickness 9.8/10

Cushion 9/10

Moisturizing ?/10 my face feels like a 7

Scent 9/10

Overall 9.5/10

I love this particular scent, it reminds me of a spicy Citrus cologne and is not overwhelmingly strong. The other one in the pass around box smells good as well but this really stood out to me. I will probably end up picking up this scent for my Personal Collection as I am a huge fan of citrus in the summer.

Wow, olive oil is the primary ingredient! I was not expecting that.

​Ingredients: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stearic Acid, Aloe Leaf Juice, Potassium Hydroxide, Kokum Butter, Castor Oil, Glycerine, Jojoba Oil, Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lactate and Fragrance

PannaCrema Pure 2O
$20160722_222145.jpg
$20160722_222635.jpg

PannaCrema is my favorite soap all around. They sell inexpensive soap and expensive soap both of which were amazing. This is their new take on the inexpensive variety. I have been looking forward to reviewing this soap so expectations were high.

About 10 seconds into my Shave I realized that I was having a bad reaction to something, an ingredient in the soap? No, it could not be as I have had exposure to all these before. Could it be the scent? No I am a vetiver fan and that is unlikely. I thought about it and thought about it some more and by the end of the shave, the very painful shave, I knew what it must be. I just got back from the pool and had chlorine on my face. I always shower before I shave and today for some reason I did not, I shaved right after the pool and I think the chlorine irritated my face during the shave. As such I will not be able to review this soap at all because it was a really miserable shave. Has anyone else done this and had irritation? The lather pictures speak for themselves so I know it's a good soap, I wish I had more time to review it but it's on to the next one tomorrow. I apologize everyone... I'll pick up a tub of this anyway and give my reviews later on in the 50+ thread.

PannaCrema Pure 2O
View attachment 675430
View attachment 675431

PannaCrema is my favorite soap all around. They sell inexpensive soap and expensive soap both of which were amazing. This is their new take on the inexpensive variety. I have been looking forward to reviewing this soap so expectations were high.

About 10 seconds into my Shave I realized that I was having a bad reaction to something, an ingredient in the soap? No, it could not be as I have had exposure to all these before. Could it be the scent? No I am a vetiver fan and that is unlikely. I thought about it and thought about it some more and by the end of the shave, the very painful shave, I knew what it must be. I just got back from the pool and had chlorine on my face. I always shower before I shave and today for some reason I did not, I shaved right after the pool and I think the chlorine irritated my face during the shave. As such I will not be able to review this soap at all because it was a really miserable shave. Has anyone else done this and had irritation? The lather pictures speak for themselves so I know it's a good soap, I wish I had more time to review it but it's on to the next one tomorrow. I apologize everyone... I'll pick up a tub of this anyway and give my reviews later on in the 50+ thread.

Bummer - at least you solved the mystery and know not to do THAT again.

Ben, if you want to try it again to see if you have a reaction before you order a tub you should do so.

Even if you don't have another shave you can lather a small amount and place it on your inner forearm and it would likely tell you if you're going to have a reaction to something in the soap. I sometime recommend that new people do this to determine if they are having a reaction to a soap or if they are just a really bad shaver scraping the hell out of their face.

I know you know how to shave but this would rule out the soap being an issue if you did it at another time when you weren't in the pool. I have come across a few that I had a reaction to myself.

This is actually a great lesson for new/newer shavers. Hopefully it is just the swim in the pool and not the soap. This is one that I really want to try.

Sent from the Danger Phone

Ben, if you want to try it again to see if you have a reaction before you order a tub you should do so.

Even if you don't have another shave you can lather a small amount and place it on your inner forearm and it would likely tell you if you're going to have a reaction to something in the soap. I sometime recommend that new people do this to determine if they are having a reaction to a soap or if they are just a really bad shaver scraping the hell out of their face.

I know you know how to shave but this would rule out the soap being an issue if you did it at another time when you weren't in the pool. I have come across a few that I had a reaction to myself.
Great idea! I had facial irritation/reaction to a couple of soaps (one stopped as soon as I rinsed the soap off, the other lasted for about an hour) and hadn't thought of trying them on my inner forearm. Fun thread and informative!! :smartass:

PannaCrema Pure 2O

Ben, I don't think it was the chlorine. I had a similar reaction, although my experience was not bad or painful. I definitely felt something, like a tingling sensation...like something that was not quite normal. I was worried I was going to end up with irritation, or worse, some kind of allergic reaction. But in the end, I got a perfect shave and my face felt and looked great.

I will continue to use this soap and I will buy the next Pure20 with a new scent. If that one gives me the same reaction I might have to cross this soap off my list after the two tubs are gone.

Don't buy a tub if your reaction was painful. I can send you a sample from mine so you can determine if this soap (at least the vetiver version) is just not for you (and perhaps for me).

Last edited:
I've been in communication with a new artisan. We are working out the details but I should have some new soap to add to the passaround

I've been in communication with a new artisan. We are working out the details but I should have some new soap to add to the passaround

Awesome. If they wanted to send full tubs please have them (or you if you wanted to try them first) send them my way so that I can add them to the refill box. I don't mind making up the samples and sending them to whoever has the box at the time. If you need my address please let me know.

Awesome. If they wanted to send full tubs please have them (or you if you wanted to try them first) send them my way so that I can add them to the refill box. I don't mind making up the samples and sending them to whoever has the box at the time. If you need my address please let me know.
The artisan is sending me samples specific for this box. Since I start receiving the boxes in a couple people I'll just add them if that is okay.

The artisan is sending me samples specific for this box. Since I start receiving the boxes in a couple people I'll just add them if that is okay.

That's fine. Just no huge containers in the boxes as there isn't a lot of room available. Please add them to box one or box two as box three is very full and likely the strongest box in terms of what's in it.

That's fine. Just no huge containers in the boxes as there isn't a lot of room available. Please add them to box one or box two as box three is very full and likely the strongest box in terms of what's in it.
No problem. If the samples they send are in big containers I have some smaller ones that I'll put them in

No problem. If the samples they send are in big containers I have some smaller ones that I'll put them in

Sounds good, if they are in big containers please do sent the remainder my way at some point. If you need money for shipping just let me know. I put all of the soaps aside in a large refill box. I don't use them other than to refill the containers in between passes. It's only right as that's the purpose that they were donated for. Also, please share the name of the Artisan with me either here or via PM.

Sounds good, if they are in big containers please do sent the remainder my way at some point. If you need money for shipping just let me know. I put all of the soaps aside in a large refill box. I don't use them other than to refill the containers in between passes. It's only right as that's the purpose that they were donated for. Also, please share the name of the Artisan with me either here or via PM.
I 100% agree and will do. They are a fairly new artisan and they are sending me a write up that gives some background about who they are. I will post it here on Monday. Expect a pm soon giving you the name in he mean time.

I've gone through box 2 thoroughly, and am in the position of having most of what is in it already. This is both good and bad, since the ones I have are all great, but there aren't as many new experiences for me in the box lol. Out of what is left I've tried most of the ones that interest me, and have added a few scents to my buy list from brands that that I already have and love, but there is only 1 other in there that I'm going to try. I'm out of town with family this weekend and did not bring any of them with me, so I'll be giving it a go on Monday.

Great reviews [MENTION=109358]Elvergun[/MENTION] and [MENTION=108263]rockclimber[/MENTION], I'm looking forward to seeing more. :thumbup:

Yeah, I think box two might be the weakest one, so if you have anything to add that might be the best place to put it. There's some great stuff in it but it may be a lot of what people have already tried.

Top Bottom