What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

Where in AZ will you be?

Day 1 Flagstaff
Day 2 Kingman
Day 3 Meadview for only an hour then:
Day 4-7 Kids join and we are doing the whole Grand Canyon rafting and helicopter family thing. Looks like I will be around 3-4 hours north of you but I am in Phoenix Arizona at least once a year so perhaps we can meet up for dinner or lunch next year or the year after or perhaps the year after even :thumbup: To be honest I am a bit afraid of seeing the magical closet, it may alter the way I view soap hoarding!
I'll take a picture of my lather at the Grand Canyon for everyone at B&B, I'm sure the other rafters will find it completely normal! :lol:

LOL - Just don't shave and raft at the same time.

I wonder if the altitude affects the lather at all. I don't think I've ever seen that discussed around the board (and I've seen a LOT of things about soap discussed)

Day 1 Flagstaff
Day 2 Kingman
Day 4-7 Kids join and we are doing the whole Grand Canyon rafting and helicopter family thing. Looks like I will be around 3-4 hours north of you but I am in Phoenix Arizona at least once a year so perhaps we can meet up for dinner or lunch next year or the year after or perhaps the year after even :thumbup: To be honest I am a bit afraid of seeing the magical closet, it may alter the way I view soap hoarding!
I'll take a picture of my lather at the Grand Canyon for everyone at B&B, I'm sure the other rafters will find it completely normal! :lol:

Day 1 Flagstaff
Day 2 Kingman

Sounds good, if you're ever out this way just let me know and maybe we can have a few beers.

As far as what I have here soap wise goes, what I own personally is pretty sick and I've given away a ton of stuff over the years. I could likely shave the next 30 plus years with the soaps I own personally. I remember a couple years back showing my wife a picture of someone's dining room table completely covered with shave gear. The picture was a nice justification that I hadn't gone off the deep end at all, as I had nowhere near this much stuff. It made my forty or so soaps (at the time) seem completely normal. I've picked up quite a few more since then and I guess now I'm "that guy". Maybe that's why I haven't taken a pic of everything I own in one place. Either that or it's the looks and comments I'd get from my family while I'm carrying tons of stuff to a large enough table to take a pic. They are understanding and supportive, they'll even smell some soaps now and then and share their comments, but they know as well as I do that my behavior isn't normal. Carrying everything to one place and taking a picture of it would likely emphasize their concerns about my sanity.

Then there are the passaround soaps. I don't consider the passaround soaps mine at all as they were donated for this purpose, so all of those are put aside an a larger cardboard box with some now spilling over into another closet cabinet. The amount of soap there is pretty extreme as well.

I should put the passaround soap all on my kitchen table one day and take a picture just to show you guys the crazy amount of soap that's there. That would be a cool pic and I'd always have the excuse with that pic that it's for the passaround.

Someone started another show me your shave den thread the other day so maybe I'll do that. I like seeing what other people have in their shave dens. Maybe I'll get a little more organized and then post some pics of mine there.

I guess I can continue to sample box 1 if you twist my arm :thumbup: I smelled Midnight & Two The Cabin again today from the tub and it smelled amazing... I think this is a scent that I would need to shave with a few times before passing judgment one way or another, I might have had an off day because today it smelled wonderful.

I have to go to Arizona for business on Thursday July 7th for a week so if we are running behind a few days perhaps @BJ Rose can mail box 2 to me there instead of my office in Oklahoma? I was going to take my chosen samples with me but if we are running behind this might be best if allowed. I can ship to @Smattayu from there or from here depending on what the shipping schedule ends up looking like, it won't slow my reviews down as I have to shave for work like always. Anyway, thanks for keeping us up to date @dfoulk this has been an amazing experience!

Ben, you can work it out with Dennis, my only concern is the box you'd bring with you going through TSA. The post office is bad enough but you know a lot of luggage goes missing and bringing that box as a carry on could get it taken by TSA. If you need the boxes longer I'm ok with that as well if it lessens the chance that a box goes missing. I'll leave it to you guys to decide how to handle it, just do your best to make good decisions.

Sounds good, if you're ever out this way just let me know and maybe we can have a few beers.

As far as what I have here soap wise goes, what I own personally is pretty sick and I've given away a ton of stuff over the years. I could likely shave the next 30 plus years with the soaps I own personally. I remember a couple years back showing my wife a picture of someone's dining room table completely covered with shave gear. The picture was a nice justification that I hadn't gone off the deep end at all, as I had nowhere near this much stuff. It made my forty or so soaps (at the time) seem completely normal. I've picked up quite a few more since then and I guess now I'm "that guy". Maybe that's why I haven't taken a pic of everything I own in one place. Either that or it's the looks and comments I'd get from my family while I'm carrying tons of stuff to a large enough table to take a pic. They are understanding and supportive, they'll even smell some soaps now and then and share their comments, but they know as well as I do that my behavior isn't normal. Carrying everything to one place and taking a picture of it would likely emphasize their concerns about my sanity.

Then there are the passaround soaps. I don't consider the passaround soaps mine at all as they were donated for this purpose, so all of those are put aside an a larger cardboard box with some now spilling over into another closet cabinet. The amount of soap there is pretty extreme as well.

I should put the passaround soap all on my kitchen table one day and take a picture just to show you guys the crazy amount of soap that's there. That would be a cool pic and I'd always have the excuse with that pic that it's for the passaround.

Someone started another show me your shave den thread the other day so maybe I'll do that. I like seeing what other people have in their shave dens. Maybe I'll get a little more organized and then post some pics of mine there.

Everyone has their hobbies/interests/obsessions/addictions. My cousin is obsessed with golf. I like the game, but there's no way I could put the time and money into it that he does. I'm sure he would say the same thing about my shaving :)

Ben, you can work it out with Dennis, my only concern is the box you'd bring with you going through TSA. The post office is bad enough but you know a lot of luggage goes missing and bringing that box as a carry on could get it taken by TSA. If you need the boxes longer I'm ok with that as well if it lessens the chance that a box goes missing. I'll leave it to you guys to decide how to handle it, just do your best to make good decisions.

Yes TSA is a nightmare! I had no intensions of flying with the box, just for @BJ Rose to ship it to me in Arizona and I will ship it on to @Smattayu 6-7 days later before I fly home. I think the timing will work out perfectly and have called the hotel and they are fine with it and have held packages for clients many times. I don't want to hold the whole train up for a work trip and since I need to shave daily for work thought it would work out well. @Smattayu has already sent me his address so I am good on that end, I need to contact @BJ Rose and give him my hotel address in Arizona.

More updates tonight when I get home to shave. How are your shaves coming @BJ Rose ??? Your last review was great, I am looking forward to more!!!

Yes TSA is a nightmare! I had no intensions of flying with the box, just for @BJ Rose to ship it to me in Arizona and I will ship it on to @Smattayu 6-7 days later before I fly home. I think the timing will work out perfectly and have called the hotel and they are fine with it and have held packages for clients many times. I don't want to hold the whole train up for a work trip and since I need to shave daily for work thought it would work out well. @Smattayu has already sent me his address so I am good on that end, I need to contact @BJ Rose and give him my hotel address in Arizona.

More updates tonight when I get home to shave. How are your shaves coming @BJ Rose ??? Your last review was great, I am looking forward to more!!!

Sounds like you guys have it completely figured out. I'm good with it.

That works great for me. I found out today that I might be spending the rest of the summer(or possibly longer) in Flint for work. I'll keep you updated on any address change that may happen as soon as I find out about it.

Great review on the Midnight & Two. That is one that I've been wanting to try as well. :thumbup:

Strop Shoppe review:
$20160630_232737.jpg
$20160630_233117.jpg
$20160630_233326.jpg

Slickness 9.5/10

Cushion 9.5/10

Moisturizing 7/10 this was a let down in the moisturizing department. I need aftershave balm.

Scent 9/10

Overall 9/10 brought down mainly by it's mediocre after shave feel. A further review tomorrow AM when it's not midnight and I don't have 5 scotches on my mind.... Goodnight gentlemen.

Last edited:
Here's what's in box three if you guys are interested. The order means nothing as that's just the way I pulled them from the box.

Catie's Bubbles
------------------
LPV
QCV
Celtic Knot
Purple Grapefruit
Unjour Gris
Gardenia
Bailey's Irish Coffee
Sunrise
Saturday Morning
Le Marche

RazoRock
------------
One X
XX
XXX
P.160
ABCBA
Don Marco
Mudder Focker
Third Eye Sandlewood
Old Town Shaving Inauguration Lemon
Napolean's Violet
Santa Maria
San Valentino
Christmas in Tuscany
Captain's Choice
Son of Zeus
Rocktoberfest
Italian Barber - Fresco Verde
Italian barber - sandlewood

Tiki
------
The Captain
Set Sail
Into the Forest
Cabernet Neroli
Kon Tiki
1920's Barbershop
Fougere
Grand Cru
Kilted Tiki
Spice Islands

LA Shaving
--------------
Vanilla Eucalyptus Mint
Woody Lavender
Myrkvior
Bay Rum
Bespoke #1
Topanga Fougere
CCXIII

PannaCrema
---------------
San Francesco
Lavandotto
Pure2O Vetiver

Petal Pusher Fancies (Now Phoenix Artisan)
--------------------------------------------------
Sandlewood
Ciderhouse 5
Speakeasy
Black Tea
Cucumber
Coconut
Malbolge

Cold River Soap Works
---------------------------
Select V2 - Bois Floraux
Select V2 - Pure Fresco
Select V2 - Vetyver Fresco
Select V2 - Limenthol
Select V2 - Citrus
Olivia - Citrus Paradisi
Olivia - Colonia Mediterania

Fine Accoutriments
----------------------
Platinum
Santal Absolut
Green Vetiver
L'Orange Noir

Saponificio Varesino
-------------------------
Tundra Artica
70th Anniversary
Colonia
Felice Aromatica
Dolomiti
Manna di Sicilia

DR Harris
------------
Arlington
Marlborough
Windsor

TOBS
-------
Lavender
Rose
St. James
TOBS
Mr. Taylor
Sandlewood
Sensitive

Misc
-------
Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF)
Green Mountain Lime & Vetiver
AOS Sandlewood Old (tallow version made by Valobra)
HGTAM - CAD
Klar Kabinet
Blades Grim Smolder
QCS Vostok
Black Tie Razor Co. #13 Unscented
St. James of London - Black Pepper Lime
Proraso Cream (Blue & White Tube)
Another Good Creation - Fruity Patchouli
Ecogarden - Pipe & Brandy
Nancy Boy Signature Cream
Jabonman - Vetiver de Haiti
Gentleman's Groom Room - Essense of Scotland

So I am assuming we get like a month with box 3? :lol: There is no way I can choose just 7 soaps to try from that box. Amazing collection you have put together David!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back and looked up the ingredients for Strop Shoppe Bay Rum Shaving Soap with Tallow because I was just floored by how good this stuff was. I wish the post shave feel was better but slickness and cushion could not be beat for the price.
Ingredients : Stearic Acid, Tallow, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Fragrance.

My non scotch drinking review is the exact same as my review from last night. 9.5/10 on slickness and cushion but post shave feel is 7/10. I don't know if a higher % of superfatting would hurt the lather but I think this would benefit greatly by adding some more moisturizing fats to the soap pre or post saponification. On the flip side, most of us use aftershave balm so does moisturizing matter that much to you guys? To me it is very important but I notice a lot of members here don't really care.

So I am assuming we get like a month with box 3? :lol: There is no way I can choose just 7 soaps to try from that box. Amazing collection you have put together David!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back and looked up the ingredients for Strop Shoppe Bay Rum Shaving Soap with Tallow because I was just floored by how good this stuff was. I wish the post shave feel was better but slickness and cushion could not be beat for the price.
Ingredients : Stearic Acid, Tallow, Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Fragrance.

My non scotch drinking review is the exact same as my review from last night. 9.5/10 on slickness and cushion but post shave feel is 7/10. I don't know if a higher % of superfatting would hurt the lather but I think this would benefit greatly by adding some more moisturizing fats to the soap pre or post saponification. On the flip side, most of us use aftershave balm so does moisturizing matter that much to you guys? To me it is very important but I notice a lot of members here don't really care.

A long time ago I send LBussy some soaps to try. He was thinking about making some soap based on another brand so I told him that there were a lot better soaps out than the one he thinking about modeling his soap after. Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps were one of the very best available at the time and a favorite of mine. I sent him some, he tried it and agreed. This was the soap that the Silver Fox soaps were modeled after. Since you've made Lee's soap I figured you might like to know that this one was the one Lee was trying to recreate.

I agree about box three as it's pretty sick, maybe the best one of the three. I tried to keep them equal quality wise but there were some late additions that got added to the third box. You can always do test lathers as well or shave like four times a day.

Amen. Maybe we need a fourth box? Lol

Box three is actually pretty full and the other two didn't have an abundance of open space either. We may have to add a fourth box, remove some less desirable soaps, split this into two passarounds, or go to large flat rate boxes at some point.

As yall have already said, Another great line up. Why do I have to wait till Oct. to get the 1st box (I think it will be around Oct.) but whats the old saying good things comes to those whom wait... umm I hate waiting.

Box three is actually pretty full and the other two didn't have an abundance of open space either. We may have to add a fourth box, remove some less desirable soaps, split this into two passarounds, or go to large flat rate boxes at some point.

It's a nice problem to have ;)

Top Bottom