What's new

Palm stropping, looks dangerous to me

I watched a video on YouTube, it was filmed in an old fashioned Italian barbershop. The barber palm stropped the straight for 20 or 30 passes. The speed in which he moved that blade against his bare palm made me wince. Palm stropping looks DANGEROUS to me.

Any time a share razor is in motion it is dangerous. Palm stropping just ups the ante a bit. Not for me, I'm out!

I was watching the video, everything was fine - and then all of a sudden the barber took a straight from a pouch and started whipping it against his palm back and forth so fast that the motion was blurry, like a cartoon. I thought to myself, whoa, wait a minute. Be careful!

That hand stropping was wild! That gentleman is on a whole other level. If you search YouTube for Maestro Levi (spelling??), the straight razor maker, he has a series and in one of them he talks about hand stropping. Interesting video series.

Here is how I do it:

$strop.jpg

I palm strop straights after honing to check the edge, its easier than taking it to the other room to strop on leather, I learned this from [MENTION=44174]Doc226[/MENTION], at first I was really worried about cutting myself but now it's not a real big deal

Dangerous? Nah. We shave edge leading. Spine leading palm stropping is childs play.

But - generally speaking, I tend to use the tool I bought to do the job - which is a strop.
Reason being - it makes sense to use the tool I bought to do the job.

Judging"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tXN4N1x0m0
[/URL]Judging from the angle he used to shave the customer, the blade is not very sharp.[/QUOTE]

Are u saying that " the sharper the blade, the smaller the angle of attack CAN be"
I find this very interresting as i can't seem to attack my whiskers at a very small angle when going ATG.

Are u saying that " the sharper the blade, the smaller the angle of attack CAN be"
That is my experience. Also a dull blade can be made to shave with a high angle.

I have a pet theory that a lot of beginning shavers start with too high of an angle and prematurely dull their razors. These now dull razors only shave with a high angle leading the beginning shaver to train himself to shave with too high of an angle. This would explain why edges last so much longer for people who have more experience.

That is my experience. Also a dull blade can be made to shave with a high angle.

I have a pet theory that a lot of beginning shavers start with too high of an angle and prematurely dull their razors. These now dull razors only shave with a high angle leading the beginning shaver to train himself to shave with too high of an angle. This would explain why edges last so much longer for people who have more experience.

Thats some really interresting insights u got there m8. Will try to keep angle as low as possible tonight.
Thnx 4 sharing

Top Bottom