What's new

cella vs. mwf

I haven't used either of these soaps, but which one do you prefer? Which one lathers better and smells better? Also, is cella a shaving soap or shaving cream?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Cella is a soft soap, often referred to as a "croap." Both Cella and Mitchell's Wool Fat are great soaps; Cella has a much stronger marzipan-like smell, while some folks have trouble lathering MWF. Luckily, I like both, but if I had to chose, I would take MWF in a heartbeat.

I haven't used either of these soaps, but which one do you prefer? Which one lathers better and smells better? Also, is cella a shaving soap or shaving cream?

Cella is a soap but it's labelled a cream by the maker for some odd reason, but Proraso cream in the tube is labelled a soap so take it for what it's worth. As for preference I would say MWF is a better soap but a lot more expensive and requires more patience to dial in. Cella is very easy to get a good lather from and available in a 1K block that should last around 2 years of daily shaving while MWF will probably last around a year. My biggest issue with Cella, which is why I gave it away tonight, was that it goes rancid if you don't use it quickly enough. It is the first soap I've ever had issues with in this respect.

I've only used MWF. It smells great. I would would describe the scent as Lemony-Floral-Cream. I'm liking it as the weather heats up. It takes a little longer to load at first. Now that I've used it a handful of times, it's no big problem. It's a very slick soap and protective. I've been wanting to try Cella, but I've got too much soap to use up.

I love the smell of MWF. It is a very clean, soapy smell. I just could not dial it in, and believe me, I tried!

Cella is a great performer. My tub is probably 2 years old. I use it now and then, when I want a change from Stirling. No signs of it going rancid for me.

When I first bought and tried MWF I almost gave it away it just did nothing for me, no smell nothing. I got a small tub of cella and used it exclusively until gone- love it it was awesome easy lather and smells great, there was non instock when I tried to re-order so chasing the scent I got a TOBS almond. Smells crap it's hardly a scent and being a cream is super soft, after 2 shaves I opened the MWF back up and read on a thread about pre-soaking it WOW what a difference it's awesome just dosnt have the almond/ marzipan smell I love. I will buy cella again tho. The big pro for the fat is that it will last longer being a harder soap for equal amounts

Cella- easy to lather. Smells amazing (if you like cherry almond). Very good post shave feel

MWF- lathers consistent once you get it down pat (and some never do apparently, but it didnt take me long), smells fairly neutral, AMAZING post shave feel.

Get both of them.
Both are classical , legendary soaps in traditional shaving world.
For me Cella is better performer during shaving. Slickness, moisturizing and protection is better than Mwf.
Mwf has all characteristics of a British soap. Post shave feeling is great.
If i have to choose one, it would be Cella.

MWF for me! My preference is hard soaps and I do not especially appreciate the smell of Cella (which lathers very well). Clearly YMMV!

Both good, but very different!

MWF has always been my comparison soap standard. I'll toss out anything that is not as good. I've had a bowl of MWF going for years - but only on the third block. I've gone months without using it, but generally average 2x a week with it. I keep half a dozen other soaps going too. I have found that the following technique works and makes a huge difference: put it in a bowl/container larger than the puck so you can swish around brush on top of it and around sides as needed. I liberally wet the brush and what's in the bowl (gets mashed down over time, so I wouldn't call it a puck after awhile), swirl it around good on the puck; sometimes if it's dry, I'll throw some water into the bowl when I do this; swirl it around all good. Then take shower and get my shave stuff out. Then back to the brush and MWF for loading brush. I don't bother soaking the puck and don't find that works all that well for me. Despite the need to use water to get MWF going, you don't want to start with too much or it will suds up too much and be a Santa Claus lather rather than a creamy smooth lather. That's why I favor adding water as you go. But my bottom line is if you free up the puck and let it sit in a container, it's easy easy easy to deal with. And the container does not need to be covered ever. If you don't use it for a few weeks, MWF will dry out and even crack some, but then just work the puck with some water and brush and you are back to normal. And if you are using it every day, it will retain moisture and be somewhat soft and will start up very quickly.

Cella is my travel soap because it came in the little red plastic tub - super convenient: just work your brush right in the little bowl - back and forth from face lather to little plastic bowl lather -- all good for travel. Doesn't need to go in your 3-1-1 bag. I love love love almost all the Italian soaps that are somewhat soft and somewhat slick when used and have dense lather. I would rate a few of the expensive italian soaps as maybe a little better than Cella, but Cella is great and is an amazing bargain if you were to buy that kilo brick of it.

One minor note with Cella: If I am shaving right next to my wife at those double sinks while staying in a hotel room, she doesn't like Cella's smell while lathering (like "candy"), but I don't mind it and it's gone as soon as I'm done shaving. She can't tell once I wash it off.

Last edited:
MWF ALWAYS gives me a great shave. I've been wet shaving with DE razors for about 5 years. EVERY time I've nick myself, which is extremely rare now, Cella was the soap being used. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Get both of them.
Both are classical , legendary soaps in traditional shaving world.
For me Cella is better performer during shaving. Slickness, moisturizing and protection is better than Mwf.
Mwf has all characteristics of a British soap. Post shave feeling is great.
If i have to choose one, it would be Cella.

Excellent explanation, same here.

Cella all day long, mostly due to it's ease of lathering. I find IF (that's a big if) I can dial in the MWF lather the performance is on par or maybe even a smidge better than Cella. Both have tallow which is a bonus but MWF does have lanolin and tends to have a nicer post shave if you have dry skin. I find Cella has a good post shave also for what it's worth. As far as value again it's Cella all day long.

I have never used MWF, but I just recently started using the small red tub of Cella.

I left it sit unused for too long though. It doesn't have that sweet cherry almond smell that some people love so much, that it had when it was first delivered. No rancid smell, and an amazing performer. Just not sweet almond goodness. Now it just smells like soap. Very faint soap. It also lost the whiteness in color it had when new and turned kind of yellow, and seems to have dried a bit and shrunk in the bowl just a little away from one side of the tub.

Still amazing lather, and surprised it took me so long to get to it.

Very different, but both good. Cella, a croap, is very easy to lather (once you embrace the Marco Method), and provides a slick, cushiony ride for the razor. The Fat takes a little work, but has a great lather and an amazing post-shave face feel.

Everyone should have both in their shave den.

Top Bottom