What's new

Tomatoes

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
As some of you know I've been on the hunt for killer tomatoes. There's been movies made about them. Rituals, holidays and the history of those red dudes goes back a long way...even before any Italian got a hold of one. A sammie would not be the same. Spaghetti would just be pasta with no sauce.

The pronunciation?....I don't care.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Cool! I have that book. I've been pretty hardcore into tomatoes for a number of years myself. I've got a neat yellow and blue one that is an F5 generation this year. I spend quite a bit of time on tomatoville when I'm not here.

I need to pick it up. I believe he sells seeds, too. I need to get around to planting tomatoes, because good ones aren't always easy to find.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Aaron:
My mother used to make Fried Green Tomatoes all the time and it was our families favorite (also great on bread w/ mayo), and this is her recipe she 'passed-on' to me. :thumbsup:

Ingredients

4 large / large, very firm green tomatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup cornmeal (or you can use fine bread crumbs as a sub).
1/4 cup olive oil or (I know...not very healthy, but Mother Dear uses reserved bacon grease from breakfast).
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground sea salt (use grinder)1/4 teaspoon freshly ground peppercorn melange (black, green, white & pink peppercorns...use grinder)

Method

1. Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper. Let tomato slices stand for 10 minutes to 'leech out' excess moisture. Meanwhile, place flour, milk, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes.

2. Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Pat dry tomatoes (this is very important because your fried tomatoes will be crisp), on paper towels, then dip the tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then corn meal or bread crumbs. In the skillet (I use cast iron), fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until nicely browned.

3. Again, drain the excess grease on paper towels and season to taste with salt and pepper & serve with either a Ranch / Blue Cheese (for dipping), or drizzle with Balsamic Vinaigrette.

Simple Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing Recipe

Ingredients

3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed through a garlic press
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground sea salt & pepper, to taste

Method

Use a blender, Cuisinart or 'stick' mixer to mix the ingredients. It will produce a thicker vinaigrette dressing. One serving will equal 2 to 3 tablespoons of dressing. One cup should easily be enough to drizzle over 6 to 8 servings of green tomatoes salad. Refrigerate and store in a covered container. Whisk well before serving.

$Fried Green Tomatoes.jpg "Sometimes in the deepest moments, there are no words. There is only [fried green tomatoes]". Roy Choi

I can a appreciate a good tomato... our's won't start until late July but in years past, heirlooms and open pollinated, no hybrids that i can recall...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

dave

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I can a appreciate a good tomato... our's won't start until late July but in years past, heirlooms and open pollinated, no hybrids that i can recall...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

dave
Dave:
You sure do have some 'fine' looking tomatoes on hand (pass me the salt)! :drool:

proxy.php
"You need an entire life just to know about tomatoes". Chef Ferran Adrià

Last edited:
I planted some in my garden this year. I don't remember the variety. I'll try to take pics when I get home. All 4 that I planted are growing well, and I have a few blossoms already. As stated above, I should have some by the end of the month!

FWIW, I planted Basil, Green Peppers and Strawberries too!

Justin, Your green peppers will turn red (or orange/yellow/purple) if you leave them on the plant until they are ripe. Green pepper is just an unripe pepper.

You'll enjoy your garden no matter what, can't beat the freshness and flavours.

dave

You'll enjoy your garden no matter what, can't beat the freshness and flavors.

dave
I agree. Last year we moved in May, and because of that, I didn't plant anything.

Usually I at least plant two tomato plants. I don't usually take very good care of my garden, but the tomato plants always produce.

I think since I didn't have any thing last year, I have been more motivated this year. I plan on trying to make some home made salsa with the Tomatoes and Peppers.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I picked about 6 or 7 maters last night. They were orange in color. The last time I let them go to full red some critter picked them and ate them. :mad3:

Top Bottom