What's new

Can this be restored and who is the one

Post #11 mentioned a place that charges $80 for polish, hone, and scales I think. Did you have a budget in mind? I am a do-it-myselfer, so I can't recommend any other options.

Please search Doc226 and Mycarver here on Badger and Blade. They both do exquisite work and have exceptional reputations. You can see many examples of their work on this forum.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I would just hone it and shave with it. I wouldn't waste a lot of time doing a full restore, nor would I pay to have it done, on that razor. It will make a perfectly adequate shaver, though, and the price is right. It is Sheffield steel, after all. There is a lot of edge pitting and so a lot of steel has to go away. Well, it is what it is, and it will not make a showpiece, anyway.

I would not bother trying to deepen the hollowgrind, but if I got a notion to do so, I would do it by hand, with sandpaper wrapped around rubber hose initially. Then to bring the hollow down near the edge and reduce edge bevel width, fold a small piece of sandpaper in half, over the spine, and pinch the bevel between it, and slide the sanding hand up and down the blade. Always pinch with the spine facing the web of the hand, and not the edge. Once you start with coarse sandpaper, you will have a very deep scratch pattern that you will probably want to address, with a very slow progression of grits.

Top Bottom