What's new

Is extra prep needed for straights?

I'm wondering if maybe I need to spend more time on prep when it comes to straights over DEs. Is a shower and a preshave product simply enough for shaving with a straight razor or should more be done? What should I add to my preshave routine to get a better shave out of a straight?

I've been working on my lather, pressure, angle, and still the shave isn't as comfortable as I'd like. I don't believe it to have to do with the sharpness of the blade.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My prep is the same (i.e shower and face lather), whether I use a straight, DE, Injector or my Sensor.

My prep is excessive. While I was learning to shave, my evening wash included a witch hazel splash, or perhaps some aloe gel. Both really help skin heal, and may make your skin a bit "readier" to be shaved again the next morning.

. . . . oh, and use less pressure and a closer angle.

I think it depends on your whiskers. I prep excessively any time I shave whether with a straight or not and for me with a straight it's definitely needed.

Nope, nothing extra is needed really...what ever you do now is just fine. I like the others here like the ritual of hot towels, pre-shave oils etc...not sure if it really matters but it matters to me....hahaha.

Use the same routine as you always do. The difference is that straight razors take more time to master than a DE, but once there you'll get smoother and far closer shaves. Oh yes and whetter lather. In short I'm just repeating what's already stated above [emoji12]

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
When I first started wet shaving I was all into skin prep, now, not so much. If not after a shower, just splash hot water on the face and go for it! As others have said, a wetter lather, skin stretching and use of an alum block to facilitate skin stretching is all that is needed, other than a sharp blade and good technique, YMMV greatly.

My preshave prep is as follows:(for DE, SE or SR) -- I wet my face with warm water, then I massage in some Proraso preshave cream, then I take a hot facecloth and hold it on my face and enjoy the heat and the scent, then I wipe off the preshave cream and then face lather with whatever soap I am using that day. It takes another minute or two to prep this way, but it is worth it. And yes, as others have said, I tend to leave my lather wetter for SR shaving.

Top Bottom