What's new

Don't you feel that "too much" just kill the fun sometimes ?

For years it was one razor and type of blade and soap but nowadays there is a little more variances but I think I`m still pretty conservative with what I use.

It takes me about 3-5 seconds to pick with soap and razor to use and then about 10 min to get finished.
I read some of the rituals people on here do and think they just wasted an entire day.

I have to agree. I spent my first year of DE shaving acquiring everything i could lay my hands on. It did feel overwhelming at times and there is no question that too many variables prolonged my my learning curve. I finally went and organized my shave den, weeding out tools and products that I felt were cluttering up my shave ritual. I'm definitely happier with my set-up now.

being at the start of the DE journey I have found I have to restrain myself a fair bit, I came into the scene not knowing it was a scene, had no idea a forum such as this existed or that there were like minded people out there of whom I could gain help and advice from, my first purchases were unguided, I'm now finding out what works for me with trail and error and of course referring to this site hence I am slowly building up an arsenal.

testers are the way forward at the start, if I had not gone down such a route I would now be sitting on or PIFing products that do not work for me,

I bought a four soaps, five DE's, and 200 blades three years ago. It's about time for more soap. Like you, it seems, I enjoy the process and gain a sense of accomplishment after a particularly good shave. Others relish the choice of many options, and feel like changing things up helps ameliorate the banality of what is ultimately doing the same thing every day.
Whatever your motivation, the end result is a superior shave. The routine elevated to something pleasurable.

I'd say a lot of people here probably have more stuff than they can use in a lifetime. I know that if I didn't buy a single shaving item of any kind for a year, I'd still have stuff unused on my shelf.

+1 - I'd say I can go at least two years. I've pretty much finished acquiring more stuff and will be settling down to enjoy using what I do have.

One evening when choosing which cream/soap to select I found one I didn't know I had.
Now, I limit myself to have enough that I can enjoy the selection, but no so much that an item will not be lost on the back of the shelf (about 16 items to choose from).
Brushes about the same... I use a different one each shave and have six in rotation.

Razors is where I depart from the joy of variety. I use my ATT almost exclusively because it gives me the best shave. At some point that has to count.

My personal practice has been the ideal number of razors, brushes, blades etc can be described by the equation I = n + 1 where I is the ideal number of a thing, and n is the number you have now of that thing.

However for the last few months I have been enjoying what I have without making additions. I still like the variety, just haven't found anything that has really caught my eye.

For me, it's a yes. I experience it in shaving but the phenomenon is much more pronounced with my CD collection. I probably have over 1500 CDs. Sometimes when I feel like listening to music I'll stand there baffled at what to choose because I have so much to choose from. On the shaving front, I want to move to a more minimalist approach because I'd be satisfied with a small variety. I still don't understand the need for more than one brush. I've narrowed my razors to two and eventually want to get my creams down to 2-3 and aftershaves down to 3-5. I don't seek variety in blades, I only care that they are comfortable and effective.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have a whole bunch of razors, but nearly all those are more a collection than an arsenal to choose from. I shave regularly with about half dozen of them and have about as many more that I'll shave with for special occasions or on a lark. I have a pretty good number of soaps and creams (20ish, I guess?) and a healthy handful of AS choices, but I tend to go to a small handful of each. As far as blades go, I've pretty well narrowed it down to three favorites with an occasional foray to a blade I've enjoyed in the past or haven't tried. I'll rotate brushes, but I most certainly have a few, treasured, favorites.

I enjoy the variety, and I intend to keep it, but I've certainly narrowed things from an earlier point. I've sold or PIFfed a bunch of stuff that I did not care for or just had too much of.

With the rest, I tend to do things on a more rotation basis. I'll keep only a few brushes and soaps/creams on my counter or handy drawer, and I use one razor/blade combo until it's time to change the blade. I usually know what sort of AS I want when I'm done shaving, so that's not a problem. By both limiting and rotating the choices that are right there in front of me, I can enjoy both variety and simplicity.

I also have a few "fixed" or routine things I do that still are fun but help keep things easy. "Menthol Monday," "(Mitchell's Wool) Fat Tuesday," and "Citrus Friday" all are both fun, easy enough to keep up with, and simple enough to deviate from when so moved.

No matter what, the whole idea is to have fun and enjoy what you're doing. If that's not happening, you need to fix it!

I enjoy the variety.

When it's hot, I break out any glacial, freezing type soap to use.

When specific items are mentioned (soap, brush,etc) that I have in stash, I use that item for my shave; makes it as random as can be pretty much.

marty

You bet. You know what the big problem is? Mail calls. Mail calls feels awesome.

Now I have too much soap, I don't know what to use.

Good thing Rockwell came along, at least I can stick to one razor.

Soaps? fuggedaboudit.

I keep it simple. Anything that I'm not going to use in a week goes into the PIF box I'm putting together.

I have 3 razors, 1 brush, 1 kind of blade, and 5 lathering products (1 stick, 3 creams, & 1 soap) currently in my weekly rotation. I use an alum block as an AS.

My goal is to limit it to no more than seven of each. In fact, exactly 7 of each might be nice. I could have a standard for each day of the week.

I don't think I'll become a total collector. I only have one razor and one brush now, and only tried 2 soaps. I plan on getting a slant or adjustable, a straight, and I currently have two handles I made my buddy is polishing I'm going to put some knots in. As for blades I think I'll be happy to just keep in stock the two that works very well in my two razors. For soaps I'm doing a good job using up what I have before ordering the next on my list to try.

Of course that probably won't stop me from entering PIFs and some of the recent ones have been so big it would only take a single win to push me over my planned rotation.:tongue_sm

I've been using a DE and wet shaving for quite a few years. The only thing I owned was a Merkur futur shave set. However, since my "arrival" on B&B my shave den has seen a significant increase of supplies.

I now own four razors( Merkur futur, Merkur progress, progress vintage and a 24k Gillette fatboy). My brush count is now up to four, approximately over 100 razor blades, a brand new batch of shaving cream, and three different types of clubman after shaves.

Recently, I had my eye on a toggle, but I decided to restrain myself and not expand my current collection. Oh, I almost forgot I also purchased two GP scuttles. It's been very tempting to pick up a toggle from the bay, but I think my modest collection is set for now.

I don't find that it ruins the fun, for me it makes it so much better because you get to try new and different things all the time. You can experience what other people have put their hard work and effort into. I get a new $100 shipment of stuff every few months or so, when I try new things, I can go back to my existing soap stash and "rediscover" how much I liked another soap/blade/aftershave.

I like the variety, keeps the shaves exciting that using one setup all the time. That's me of course, I also shave twice and day (morning face and evening head) thus using products twice as often.
But I am getting very close to "I have enough". Certainly razor wise. The Rockwell T might be my last for some time as I have no TTO or adjustable yet.

I use one for a week. If it enjoyed the week, I will extend it to two. Everything else depends on my mood. Usually I opt for something I haven't used in awhile. Using one product for a certain amount of time helps.

Top Bottom