What's new

Bolzano Blade Thickness Surprise (for me)!

I intend doing an "all Italian" month of shaving. On another thread [MENTION=84529]rudyt[/MENTION] gave me this reply:

... the only "Italian" blade, Bolzano, is no longer made in Italy. So technically, unless you're using vintage blades, they're not really Italian.
Bolzanos happen to be my favorite DE blades because they are thicker than most and seem to be stiffer. ...
So, as Bolzanos are the closest I'm going to get to Italian blades, I ordered some. They turned up this morning.

$Bolzano-1.jpg

(Being the detail freak that I am,) out came the digital caliper. And shock surprise!

From Rudy's post I was expecting them to be about 6 thou thick. All the other blades I've used are the standard Gillette 4 thou.
Bolzano Superinox thickness 3½ thou!

Naturally I double checked some other blades and the Bolzanos just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. But sure enough, Bolzanos 0.0035" and all the rest 0.0040".

I'll have my first Bolzano shave later today, and will report back on how I find the blade.

I am interested to hear how you like the Bolzano. On my "horrible" blade list. Never actually cut the hairs. Pulled them out one by one. All 5 blades in a tuck were terrible. Could it have been a bad lot? I suppose. I have read that Bolzanos are produced in an East German blade factory. We are not talking Porsche quality.

IAnd shock surprise!

From Rudy's post I was expecting them to be about 6 thou thick. All the other blades I've used are the standard Gillette 4 thou.
Bolzano Superinox thickness 3½ thou!
I'm just as shocked. The Bolzanos feel the stiffest of all my blades (most resistance to bending). If they're actually thinner, I can't explain it other than different (harder) material.

What can I say? This blade is different!

As more than one person has said “this blade feels stiffer than other blades.” I had the same experience, and due to that one automatically “thinks” that the blade is thicker… when in fact it’s the other way round. Hopefully someone (like [MENTION=43722]jamesspo[/MENTION]?) might be able to explain this weird perception deception.

Bolzano Shave 1
Until now, my only perceptions with new (to me) blades have been that they are sharper/duller and/or smoother/scratchier. I found the Bolzano so different that I had to completely change my shaving angles. I naturally prefer steep but Bolzano said “no no, shallower for me.”

As you’ll understand, changing the way you shave during a blade test makes the test result kinda difficult to communicate.

BTW, my normal shave is two passes, 1 WTG/Freestyle and 2 ATG/Freestyle (and I take my time).

$Piccolo+Bolzano1.jpg

By the second pass I was beginning to enjoy my shave again.

I normally get BBS. Today I got very close to BBS, but not quite. I put that down to my lack of experience with this very different blade. I’ll continue with the Bolzano and update you as I go along (if you can stand the tedium).

I am interested to hear how you like the Bolzano. On my "horrible" blade list. Never actually cut the hairs. Pulled them out one by one. All 5 blades in a tuck were terrible. Could it have been a bad lot? I suppose. I have read that Bolzanos are produced in an East German blade factory. We are not talking Porsche quality.
I can now understand your problem exactly. I guess you thought “this is just a blade test” and hadn’t realised you’d have to completely change the way you shave in order to test the darned thing.

Interesting! I also thought these were Italian. Look forward to your review! :popc:
They are Italian. Originally they were made in Italy. They are now made in Germany for the Italian market:

$Bolzano-Box-Back.jpg

How would you rate them against Zaza and your other favorite blades?
Sheesh Doug! :w00t:

That would be very hard to say after a single trial, where I had to completely change my shaving style!

That said, I'm Bolzanoing it all month, so I should be able to answer your question fairly soon. (Bear in mind that I usually only shave every other day; I have fast and coarse growth but I like the hobo/clean-shaven transition.)
:wink2:

Not too nice of a blade for me,I wouldn't buy them again.I am surprised at the thickness as well ,any chance you know the thickness of vintage Blue Blades or Super Thins ,which by the way were VERY flexible and extremely smooth.

Sheesh Doug! :w00t:

That would be very hard to say after a single trial, where I had to completely change my shaving style!

That said, I'm Bolzanoing it all month, so I should be able to answer your question fairly soon. (Bear in mind that I usually only shave every other day; I have fast and coarse growth but I like the hobo/clean-shaven transition.)
:wink2:

Cool. :thumbup1: I look forward to an answer closer to the end of the month.

Not too nice of a blade for me,I wouldn't buy them again.I am surprised at the thickness as well ,any chance you know the thickness of vintage Blue Blades or Super Thins ,which by the way were VERY flexible and extremely smooth.
Sorry malocchio, I have no idea on vintage blades. But there's a good possibility that our friendly guru (and steward) Edgar [MENTION=79408]nuclearblast[/MENTION] may.

Good Bolzano discussion. I find them a very fine blade. I went about 12 days on one blade eecently in a Fatip Oiccolo. Sharp and smooth. I have a Bolzano in Super Speed now and it is smooth as butter.

Bolzano was made in Italy but sold or moved the manufacturing to Germany.

Thanks for the info.

I was going to pick up a pack but I think I have changed my mind.

Anyone know how thick Persona Med Prep blades are?

Thanks for the info.

I was going to pick up a pack but I think I have changed my mind.

Anyone know how thick Persona Med Prep blades are?

According to the link in post 14, Lab blues are .006". Not sure if they are the same as Med Preps though.

Huh, I always thought they felt a little thinner, but I seriously doubt that I can tell the difference between .0035 and .0040 when I unwrap them. That said, I've always liked the way they shave. :thumbup1:

I'm still finding the Bolzano to be a very "different" blade.

Usually a new (to me) blade will say "yes, I'm for you" or "no, forget it" on the first shave. Then that will be confirmed on the subsequent many, or few, shaves I have with that blade. Strangely, there's been no "yes/no" conversation between us.

Bolzano Shave 2
During this shave/conversation I used a much shallower angle than I'm used to (continuing from the Shave 1 Lesson). We talked a lot and I did a lot of feeling and listening. Unlike other blades this one really talks to me. The others just shave (well or poorly as the case may be).

Shave 2 went much better than Shave 1. I enjoyed it from start to finish, even though I'm on a sharp learning curve.

At this stage I have no idea where this is going to lead. But I'm certainly enjoying the conversations.

View attachment 663651

Again, I got very close to BBS but not quite. Hopefully, as our relationship continues, I'll get back to my normal BBS each shave.
Watch this space... :popc:

Top Bottom