What's new

Att se1

To see a different picture in the tapatalk preview I load up a SOTD pic of the SE1. 😊
proxy.php

Has anyone else noted a slight play to the top cap when the razor is being tightened back up. On the razor I received this allows the blade slightly forward/backwards. Not a huge issue but I imagine it might impact the shave feeling. I had to screw/unscrew a couple of times to get it aligned right. It's more noticeable when looking down and from the back of the razor.
John

Just got mine today and I have the same play in the top cap you describe when tightening it, regardless if I do it upside down or not. This resulted at first in the blade being slightly crooked relative to the top cap. I had to fiddle with it to get it straight. I don't have this issue with my less expensive Alumigoose. I hope it's not an issue down the line. Will shave with it tomorrow.

No play in mine either. I assemble it upside down, cap with blade then plate and screw together. After use i usually unscrew slightly and swish in alcohol to dry. Blade never moves on me. I use the feather pro blades.
The blade stays put -- it's the the top cap moving as a whole that happens on tightening and can result in it being crooked.

First shave with the SE-1 this morning with a Feather AC Pro blade and I got an awesome BBS, closest shave I've ever had. I'm not thrilled with the need to adjust the top cap alignment when tightening down the razor as mentioned above, but once locked in, an amazing shave to be had. I thought the Alumigoose V2 with a Super Pro was a nice close shave, but this was even smoother and closer. Both are great razors though and each have their pros and cons. I prefer the light weight feel of the Alumigoose, as it is closer to the Schick injectors, which I love as well. These razors and the type C Schicks are the best IMO.

Just got mine today and I have the same play in the top cap you describe when tightening it, regardless if I do it upside down or not. This resulted at first in the blade being slightly crooked relative to the top cap. I had to fiddle with it to get it straight. I don't have this issue with my less expensive Alumigoose. I hope it's not an issue down the line. Will shave with it tomorrow.

I don't understand your problem. When you tighten it down you have to make sure it is aligned? Is that what you are saying? ATT razors are made with such precision I find this hard to understand. Of the many many guys that own this razor no one else (but one) has mentioned this.

Last edited:
I don't understand your problem. When you tighten it down you have to make sure it is aligned? Is that what you are saying? ATT razors are made with such precision I find this hard to understand. Of the many many guys that own this razor no one else (but one) has mentioned this.

As jonoc9997 and I both noted, while the blade itself sits tight on the top cap, when I go to assemble the razor (whether upside down or not), if I don't adjust the top cap towards the end, the top cap sits at a slight angle relative to the remainder of the razor and the blade doesn't line up evenly with the guard. Like jonoc9997, I had to adjust the top cap several times to get it to sit right so I could shave with it. I find it hard to believe we are the only two with this issue/problem. I am quite familiar with 3 piece razors and usually assembling them upside down works very well, but not with the ATT SE-1 for some reason.

Just to clarify, I am not saying the blade itself moves on the posts--it sits fine on them. I am saying that the top cap starts to rotate and not sit straight in alignment when I tighten down the assembly. Looking down on a birds eye view of the razor, the blade ends up crooked relative to the base plate and guard, with the right side of the blade overhanging too much and the left side too little.

Last edited:
As jonoc9997 and I both noted, while the blade itself sits tight on the top cap, when I go to assemble the razor (whether upside down or not), if I don't adjust the top cap towards the end, the top cap sits at a slight angle relative to the remainder of the razor and the blade doesn't line up evenly with the guard. Like jonoc9997, I had to adjust the top cap several times to get it to sit right so I could shave with it. I find it hard to believe we are the only two with this issue/problem. I am quite familiar with 3 piece razors and usually assembling them upside down works very well, but not with the ATT SE-1 for some reason.

Just to clarify, I am not saying the blade itself moves on the posts--it sits fine on them. I am saying that the top cap starts to rotate and not sit straight in alignment when I tighten down the assembly. Looking down on a birds eye view of the razor, the blade ends up crooked relative to the base plate and guard, with the right side of the blade overhanging too much and the left side too little.
I never had this problem (doesn't mean *you* don't have it), so I'm trying to understand what you're describing. Can you take a photo of the problematic state from the top and/or side?
I did notice that is easy to place the baseplate incorrectly if you don't pay attention to the grooves for the blade posts. Try and see if the baseplate sits correctly and hold it together and then screw the handle. The tolerances are really tight and the grooves/posts are minimal, so putting it together in a haste might cause it to sit improperly. Did you send Stan an email about it? He's very communicative and patient.

I've just spent some time playing with mine.

With the cap upside down, a blade is placed on the tabs, the base plate placed over the blade and the handle screwed on.

With the handle loose there is a small amount of back & forth play in the lengthwise blade direction. Twisting the base plate, I can feel just the slightest amount of play.

However, there is a ridge on the rear edge of the base plate (the side away from the blade) that aligns with the rear edge of the cap as the handle as tightened. This is machined to a very close tolerance, and as the handle is tightened all play disappears and the cap aligns with the base plate.

This ridge isn't very tall and I found that if I tightened the handle abruptly it was possible that the cap would not seat properly against the ridge and thus not be perfectly parallel with the base plate and the blade would then be crooked in reference to the guard.

I hold the razor in my right hand (I'm left-handed) with the ends of the cap/base plate between my thumb and forefinger. As long as I tighten the handle slowly, the edge of the cap aligns with the ridge in the base plate and everything aligns as it should.

I've tightened and loosened it over a dozen times. As long as I go slowly right when the pieces are first becoming snug together, everything drops into place as it should.

It doesn't take me several attempts to get the cap to align properly. In fact, I have to work at it to duplicate the problem. When the cap is misaligned, all I have to do is loosen it enough to where I can move it back and forth (that small amount of play that I mentioned above) and it snaps into alignment.

I can see that it is vital that the ridge on the base plate be kept clean - any soap buildup could definitely cause an issue.

I don't see this as a defect - just something to be aware of. If I were designing version 2 of the SE1 I might make the ridge a little taller. I'd also make the tabs that hold the blade a little taller.

Assuming, of course, that we are talking about the same thing.

--Bob

Last edited:
I've just spent some time playing with mine.

With the cap upside down, a blade is placed on the tabs, the base plate placed over the blade and the handle screwed on.

With the handle loose there is a small amount of back & forth play in the lengthwise blade direction. Twisting the base plate, I can feel just the slightest amount of play.

However, there is a ridge on the rear edge of the base plate (the side away from the blade) that aligns with the rear edge of the cap as the handle as tightened. This is machined to a very close tolerance, and as the handle is tightened all play disappears and the cap aligns with the base plate.

This ridge isn't very tall and I found that if I tightened the handle abruptly it was possible that the cap would not seat properly against the ridge and thus not be perfectly parallel with the base plate and the blade would then be crooked in reference to the guard.

I hold the razor in my right hand (I'm left-handed) with the ends of the cap/base plate between my thumb and forefinger. As long as I tighten the handle slowly, the edge of the cap aligns with the ridge in the base plate and everything aligns as it should.

I've tightened and loosened it over a dozen times. As long as I go slowly right when the pieces are first becoming snug together, everything drops into place as it should.

It doesn't take me several attempts to get the cap to align properly. In fact, I have to work at it to duplicate the problem. When the cap is misaligned, all I have to do is loosen it enough to where I can move it back and forth (that small amount of play that I mentioned above) and it snaps into alignment.

I can see that it is vital that the ridge on the base plate be kept clean - any soap buildup could definitely cause an issue.

I don't see this as a defect - just something to be aware of. If I were designing version 2 of the SE1 I might make the ridge a little taller. I'd also make the tabs that hold the blade a little taller.

Assuming, of course, that we are talking about the same thing.

--Bob

I will try again when I get home later, but it sounds like you are describing what I'm experiencing. I don't believe I was going that quickly when I tightened it, but I'll relook at it and take it slow and see if that helps. I noticed that when I put the Feather AC Pro blade on the top cap posts, the posts aren't very tall and seem to be almost flush with the blade when the blade is installed(at least in the razor I received yesterday). I suspect this is what allows the top cap to move relative to the base plate while the handle is being screwed on. I probably need to hold the baseplate/top cap tighter together with my fingers while putting on the handle. I have no issues whatsoever on my Alumigoose, where it tightens up easily with no movement due to the tight fit of the posts into the cutouts on the baseplate. I can tighten up the Alumigoose at any speed and never have any misalignment. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the shave I got with the SE-1 once it was assembled correctly, I just felt that it didn't fit together very well. Anyone else notice this also???

Last edited:
I had my first shave tonight with the ATT SE1 with a Feather Pro blade. The main thing I want to say is: Wow ! This could be the most perfect razor ever made. And I tried a lot of new razors and vintage.
Very smooth and close. It blows away my AlumiGoose V1 and my OneBlade. Good job Stan.

Blows away OneBlade? That's the first time I've heard anyone say that. Could you elaborate?

Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers
Mike

Blows away OneBlade? That's the first time I've heard anyone say that. Could you elaborate?
Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers
Mike

I find the OneBlade too mild. It gets the job done but I like to feel the blade a little more than the OB allows. I guess if I stayed with just the OB for 6 weeks I would probably get used to it. Not sure. I feel I have more control with the ATT SE. It is the perfect design IMO.

I like the bamboo handle that comes with the SE1, but I was totally blown away when I mated it with a Jurgen Hempel Titanium Microfine 1 handle. This handle is about an ounce lighter than the bamboo handle, bring the total weight down to under 3 ounces.

$se1_Hempel1.jpg

The only other razor in my collection that provides the same levels of closeness and smoothness with the same consistency is my Cobra Classic.

The OneBlade? Not even close.

--Bob

I like the bamboo handle that comes with the SE1, but I was totally blown away when I mated it with a Jurgen Hempel Titanium Microfine 1 handle. This handle is about an ounce lighter than the bamboo handle, bring the total weight down to under 3 ounces.

View attachment 677418

The only other razor in my collection that provides the same levels of closeness and smoothness with the same consistency is my Cobra Classic.
The OneBlade? Not even close.

--Bob

Bob what blade do you prefer in the ATT SE?

What a beautiful razor. I agree with Bob, the SE1 is really the only SE razor I have found that can run with the Cobra Classic.

Bob what blade do you prefer in the ATT SE?

The Feather Pro is my first choice, although the Pro Guard is pretty good, too. I've tried the Pro Super - it definitely gives the razor a more aggressive feel and increases the likelihood of irritation/weepers if I let my mind wander, but doesn't really seem to shave any closer.

--Bob

Top Bottom