What's new

Tobacquisitions June 2016

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I went to my local shop after work today and almost picked up an interesting looking Randy Wiley pipe, but the shop owner gave me one heck of a deal on these two estate pipes instead. The bulldog is a Comoy's London Pride. The Meer has no labeling, but I fell in love with the patina, so I decided to get it. Plus, I got 8oz (more like 10) of the shop's house Virginia flake and 2oz (more like 3) of their house medium English.

$2016-06-28 (2).jpg

$2016-06-28 (3).jpg

$2016-06-28 (4).jpg

In a big pot, it's my favorite oriental blend. Simply amazing. Beats the pants off penzance in my book.

Them's pretty strong words, podnuh.

Strong words, but no boast. Even if it doesn't beat penzance for you, there's no denying Tashkent--it's tremendous.

Okay, added two ounces of Tashkent to the bag of Stonehaven I scored from Peretti's. Package arrived today, so my POTD was a no-brainer.

First impressions: While I don't think it does beat Penzance for me, you are certainly correct... it is outstanding. It's a bit, umm, "creamier" (?) than Penzance is, but not quite as nuanced. That may well be due to this being fresh off the USPS truck, while the Penzance I have to compare it to has about four years on it. Time will tell. Definitely in the same ball park, though. (And it does pair just as sublimely with Lagavulin 16, I might add.)

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Okay, added two ounces of Tashkent to the bag of Stonehaven I scored from Peretti's. Package arrived today, so my POTD was a no-brainer.

First impressions: While I don't think it does beat Penzance for me, you are certainly correct... it is outstanding. It's a bit, umm, "creamier" (?) than Penzance is, but not quite as nuanced. That may well be due to this being fresh off the USPS truck, while the Penzance I have to compare it to has about four years on it. Time will tell. Definitely in the same ball park, though. (And it does pair just as sublimely with Lagavulin 16, I might add.)

Glad you like it! Took me a while to dial it in with the right pipe. I like it in a big 15/16 drilled pot, but it's good in anything broad. Gets a little muddled a one note for me in a smaller or deeper pipe.

I've been hearing a lot about the Tashkent, so I just ordered some along with other Peretti baccy. In the meantime, this arrived yesterday and one more SH is expected either today or tomorrow.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom