What's new

Safety Razor of the Month, June 2016 - The Gillette Tech

Which handle do you like best, the Star?
The ball end and Star have the best weight and balance, but I like the thicker Star handle more.

The ball end and Star handle weigh about the same.

I added a half ounce of Tungsten puddy to one of my fat handles and it is right up there with the Star.

The ball end and Star have the best weight and balance, but I like the thicker Star handle more.

The ball end and Star handle weigh about the same.

I added a half ounce of Tungsten puddy to one of my fat handles and it is right up there with the Star.

I thought the Star would be heavier than the ball end, what is the Star made of?

[MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION]

I believe it's brass, I think the Star head is Zamak.

This scale is not calibrated but should give you an idea of the weight.

The heavier fat handle has the half ounce of Tungsten. The heaviest handle is the ATT Kronos.

$uploadfromtaptalk1465005060452.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1465005071369.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1465005083718.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1465005095208.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1465005196020.jpg

Interesting, that is light. Do you like the Star shave?
It has less blade exposure than a Tech. I had one 2 years ago and sold it because it was too mild. I haven't used this one, I only bought it for the handle. Found it for $10 shipped.

It's designed like the prewar Tech with less blade gap and exposure.

It has less blade exposure than a Tech. I had one 2 years ago and sold it because it was too mild. I haven't used this one, I only bought it for the handle. Found it for $10 shipped.

It's designed like the prewar Tech with less blade gap and exposure.

Cool! Thank you my friend. :001_smile

Travel / Grooming Tech set, made in England. It contains a scissor, shoe spoon, nail clippers, nail file and the razor. And you can brush your shoes or jacket :)

The razor's handle and base plate are alu. The top cap doesn't have the facets, so I don't think it's Zamak. It's very mild, probably the mildest Tech made.

$20160604_160525.jpg

Last edited:
Travel / Grooming Tech set, made in England. It contains a scissor, shoe spoon, nail clippers, nail file and the razor. And you can brush your shoes or jacket :)

The razor's handle and base plate are alu. The top cap doesn't have the facets, so I don't think it's Zamak. It's very mild, probably the mildest Tech made.

View attachment 663594
I could be wrong but I think the whole razor is brass.

View attachment 663594

Yep, brass cap, very nice set! :001_smile

I think [MENTION=98226]Jacquers[/MENTION] is right. Baseplate and handle are aluminum.
Are all 50's British Tech baseplates Aluminum? I have a British 50's Tech with the late 60's aluminum handle. I believe the cap and baseplate weighed less than my 50's US version. Maybe I have an aluminum baseplate as well.

Are all 50's British Tech baseplates Aluminum? I have a British 50's Tech with the late 60's aluminum handle. I believe the cap and baseplate weighed less than my 50's US version. Maybe I have an aluminum baseplate as well.
I'm not 100% sure but I believe there's also brass baseplates?

Some stats about the travel set I posted: The colour of the base plate looks different than the usual nickel coating and it's too light weight to be brass. The handle weighs 12g, the base plate 3g and top cap 14g. In comparison another Tech (late 60's) bp I have weighs 7g.

$20160604_172606.jpg

Last edited:
I just compared my US and British weight. The cap and baseplate are brass. They weigh the same.

$uploadfromtaptalk1465055609908.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom