What's new

Online shaving supply stores based in Canada?

I'd like to order some nice soaps for my dad for father's day, but I can't find any good shaving stores based in Canada to order from. I found Fendrihan.com, but the shipping costs were double the price of the soap!

Do you know of any stores based in Canada or with cheap shipping options to Canada? I'm not too concerned about the package being late.

check out menessentials.ca

its menessentials.com

James only uses the .ca site to promote the stores in toronto becuase everyone would usually go to the american site because with the conversion its cheaper. They have warehouses both in canada and (soon to be complete) the US.

I'd like to order some nice soaps for my dad for father's day, but I can't find any good shaving stores based in Canada to order from. I found Fendrihan.com, but the shipping costs were double the price of the soap!

Do you know of any stores based in Canada or with cheap shipping options to Canada? I'm not too concerned about the package being late.

Hello,

On fendrihan.com the shipping costs are calculated by Canada Post software and no handling fees are added. If it's pricey, is because the Canadian Postal Service is expensive (especially if you are in BC or AB, not so much for ON and QC). There is no cheap shipping inside Canada. Canada Post rates can be calculated on their web-site. It is true, for single, less expensive items the purchase doesn't make sense when you take in consideration the shipping charges. For one soap it might be cheaper to buy from a US based store (i.e quedusa.com, don't try to use the web-site, just send an e-mail to Charles). I guess the purchase will be under 20CAD and you'll not be charged taxes, customs or brokerage fees. For small packages, shipping from US to Canada is cheaper than shipping inside Canada.

Regards,
Alfred

Hello,

On fendrihan.com the shipping costs are calculated by Canada Post software and no handling fees are added. If it's pricey, is because the Canadian Postal Service is expensive (especially if you are in BC or AB, not so much for ON and QC). There is no cheap shipping inside Canada. Canada Post rates can be calculated on their web-site. It is true, for single, less expensive items the purchase doesn't make sense when you take in consideration the shipping charges. For one soap it might be cheaper to buy from a US based store (i.e quedusa.com, don't try to use the web-site, just send an e-mail to Charles). I guess the purchase will be under 20CAD and you'll not be charged taxes, customs or brokerage fees. For small packages, shipping from US to Canada is cheaper than shipping inside Canada.

Regards,
Alfred

Hey Alfred,

I guess I was just surprised to see that priority shipping was the cheapest option offered on the store. I would have liked to have seen a regular mail option for a small package.

Thanks for explaining the logistics of the store and offering up a way to save money.

Hey Alfred,

I guess I was just surprised to see that priority shipping was the cheapest option offered on the store. I would have liked to have seen a regular mail option for a small package.

Hello,

The Regular Parcel offered by Canada Post is only 10-20 cents cheaper than Expedited Parcel. However, Regular Parcel doesn't come with insurance coverage included. I just think it doesn't make any practical sense to offer Regular Parcel; the saves are insignificant, while the risks are much higher.
Expedited Parcel is the cheapest option offered by Canada Post for small parcels. Items cannot be shipped in envelopes by Regular Mail for practical reasons and because the maximum thickness allowed for an envelope is 20 mm.
The high shipping costs are more painful for BC and AB clients, for ON and QC the sipping rates are usually in the 6.5-8$ range (depending on the postal code and weight of the package).

Regards,
Alfred

Momentum tends to be more expensive, for example, they charge $75 for a Futur, while Alfred charges $67 - before the B&B 10% discount - which brings it down to just over $60.

Alfred also offers free shipping on orders over $150 - which I realize is double the amount required for Momentum to ship - but its clear from the momentum pricing that they can offer free shipping at this lower order value because they have significantly higher mark ups (for example Momentum charges $6 for a puck of Conk, whereas Alfred charges $5.11 before the discount).

I have nothing against Momentum, but I do have an issue with thier prices - Alfred is the only Canadian e-tailer I'm aware of who's prices are comparable with those charged by US vendors.

In addition, I think Alfred carries a better range of traditional products (I'm not a fan of a lot of the new-age shaving products, but that's clearly a matter of personal preference).

In addition to being a member here, I've exchanged PMs with Alfred about an order I'm planning to make and he has volunteered to speak to his supplier to see about sourcing some products that he doesn't currently carry - which is much appreciated.

Also, Alfred's comments about shipping costs within Canada are spot on.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Fendrihan seems to have been under the radar for me until this thread, but the selection looks good and the prices reasonable.

Fendrihan seems to have been under the radar for me until this thread, but the selection looks good and the prices reasonable.

Until recently, Alfred only sold on e-bay, which he still does. A few months ago he opened up a dedicated wetshaving supply e-tail buisness.

I know he'll be getting my next order - its great to have domestic options for wetshaving supplies.

Until recently, Alfred only sold on e-bay, which he still does. A few months ago he opened up a dedicated wetshaving supply e-tail buisness.

I know he'll be getting my next order - its great to have domestic options for wetshaving supplies.

Hello,

My selection on EBay is getting reduced by the day. Reputable brand names won't be available on EBay anymore, except for clearance items. Also, for full disclosure, prices are higher on EBay than on Fendrihan.com. Also, on EBay (and ONLY on Ebay) I do add a handling fee (due to the steep EBay and Paypal fees and very high fraud rates).

Regards,
Alfred

Momentum tends to be more expensive, for example, they charge $75 for a Futur, while Alfred charges $67 - before the B&B 10% discount - which brings it down to just over $60.

Alfred also offers free shipping on orders over $150 - which I realize is double the amount required for Momentum to ship - but its clear from the momentum pricing that they can offer free shipping at this lower order value because they have significantly higher mark ups (for example Momentum charges $6 for a puck of Conk, whereas Alfred charges $5.11 before the discount).

I have nothing against Momentum, but I do have an issue with thier prices - Alfred is the only Canadian e-tailer I'm aware of who's prices are comparable with those charged by US vendors.

In addition, I think Alfred carries a better range of traditional products (I'm not a fan of a lot of the new-age shaving products, but that's clearly a matter of personal preference).

In addition to being a member here, I've exchanged PMs with Alfred about an order I'm planning to make and he has volunteered to speak to his supplier to see about sourcing some products that he doesn't currently carry - which is much appreciated.

Also, Alfred's comments about shipping costs within Canada are spot on.

Wait, we can get a discount because we're on B&B? How does one swing that?

I've ordered from Chapters.ca and their shipping was way more expensive (I ordered a cd) Mens Essentials and momentum grooming carry too many products I have no interest in. I've never ordered from Fendrihan but it looks like the real deal.

+1 for Alfred and Fendrihan! I've ordered a few times and been very happy with the products, shipping, and prices. I'm very pleased to have a CDN e-tailer of JM Fraser's cream and Booster aftershave. It was very annoying to have to order these great CDN products from US e-tailers. THANK YOU ALFRED!!

I placed an order on the morning of July 4th and received an email advising that the item was mailed that same evening-postal tracking number included. Very impressed with the prompt service as well as the prices. They are most reasonable when compared with other Canadian and US merchants. In my mind, the postal fees are just part of buying either online or by mail. It does beat the alternative of using my gas to drive somehwere to search out shaving products.

Regards

Discount? Bummer.

I've recently placed two orders after placing my initial large order with Alfred and I didn't know about any discount for being a member here.

Oh well.

Aside from that, I am very happy to do business with Alfred. His prices are good for sure. For example... I saw a bottle of Booster Mosswood a/s at a barber shop here in Calgary yesterday retailing for $15.

He's got my business for sure, for the items that he carries.

I'm hoping he'll be able to get Spanish Floid. :)

I was reading this thread, and had NO idea we could get discounts through Fendrihan for being a B&B member.
Can someone let me know how this is done?
No sooner than after I placed a huge order with them do I find this out...great!

Message (PM) sent with the details.

Regards,
Alfred

Top Bottom