What's new

Black Beauty - Advice Needed

I recently purchased a Black Beauty on ebay for $20. The listing only had a couple of blurry pictures so I had no idea if it was in good shape. I bought it anyway since it was so cheap - I figured that I would just throw it away if it looked like crap. When I received it I was surprised by the great shape the razor was in (for a 44 year old, S code, razor).

But it turns out that one of the guards is bent. I can’t even feel the blade on my finger on anything less than setting #4. I shaved with it using the good side and I love the razor.

The only place I found that might be able to fix the problem is Razor Emporium, but their reputation is less than stellar. Is there another shop or B&B member which might be able work on the razor? Any other ideas or suggestions?

$bb2.jpg$IMG_1830 [936800].jpg$bb1.jpg

There are some instructions around here somewhere for fixing that yourself. If uncomfortable with that though, Captain Murphy is the best. He fixed up my black beauty for me.

The "bad" reputation of razor emporium is based on old customer service issues that have long since been resolved from what I can tell. I have had no issues with them at all. They have done some beautiful rhodium revamps for me.

There are some instructions around here somewhere for fixing that yourself. If uncomfortable with that though, Captain Murphy is the best. He fixed up my black beauty for me.

I did find an old thread where the op explains how to straighten out a safety bar with a screw driver. I tried it on my razor, but things are still not kosher. I can feel the blade now even on setting 1, yet the gap on the damaged side is not the same as the good side. I believe that the only way to get things to match perfectly is to take the razor apart...and I can barely tie my shoes....so...:sad:

I'm hoping it is Captain Murphy to the rescue.

Monkeydad Captain Murphy knows what he is doing and has worked on several for me. He is a first class guy and I highly recommend his services.

The "bad" reputation of razor emporium is based on old customer service issues that have long since been resolved from what I can tell. I have had no issues with them at all. They have done some beautiful rhodium revamps for me.

I concur as well. They had problems but have since put in the extra work to repair their standing with our community. Cap is usually backed up on his work. You can try razor emporium. I gave them a second chance and the owner made sure to fix the problem.

*EDIT* I've also used Cap's services and he's a class unto himself. Great guy and a heck of a craftsman. You can't go wrong with his service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom