What's new

New Westholme Latigo

I just received my second Westholme strop, this time in 2.5" latigo (I figured my Westholme 3" Italian Horse Hide needed some company).

$IMG_1360 - Copy.jpg

I just received my second Westholme strop, this time in 2.5" latigo (I figured my Westholme 3" Italian Horse Hide needed some company).

View attachment 662741

i have the Cordaven linen, I intend to collect all the leathers whestholme makes. I have the Italian horsehide on the way . How would describe the draw on horse hide, I hear it's quite grippy? How would you describe the Latigo ?

....How would describe the draw on horse hide, I hear it's quite grippy? How would you describe the Latigo ?

Italian Horse Hide: The "grippy" description is apt. I actually like it quite a bit! (But I prefer heavier draw strops). I consider it to be an "almost" heavy draw. Some might say "heavy", and I wouldn't voice an objection to that.

Latigo: the latigo is too new for me to really give a "valid" opinion; however I can state my initial impressions. This latigo is quite different from another latigo strop that I have from a different maker in terms of draw. The older latigo I have is a heavy draw (which I like) whereas this new Westholme latigo is not (and this is actually mentioned in the Westholme website description, I think). This new one is thinner, for one thing; but the draw is what I call dry, scratchy, and light at the beginning. Out of curiosity, I reached out to Alastair to inquire if the draw would increase over time on its own, or would adding something like Neets Foot Oil do some good. He quickly replied and said that if I wanted to, add a little bit of Neets Foot Oil on the BACK of the strop and after working it in, let the strop hang for several days to let the leather absorb the oil. So I did. Ahhhhhh, now this is much better! It still doesn't have a medium/heavy draw yet, but it is excellent, nonetheless - the strop is silky smooooooooooth - I like it - nice change of pace. BTW, the 2.5" latigo does not come with the same linen secondary component as the 3" horse hide (which is wonderful). But no matter, because I have the 3" one to use.

Hope this has helped.

Italian Horse Hide: The "grippy" description is apt. I actually like it quite a bit! (But I prefer heavier draw strops). I consider it to be an "almost" heavy draw. Some might say "heavy", and I wouldn't voice an objection to that.

Latigo: the latigo is too new for me to really give a "valid" opinion; however I can state my initial impressions. This latigo is quite different from another latigo strop that I have from a different maker in terms of draw. The older latigo I have is a heavy draw (which I like) whereas this new Westholme latigo is not (and this is actually mentioned in the Westholme website description, I think). This new one is thinner, for one thing; but the draw is what I call dry, scratchy, and light at the beginning. Out of curiosity, I reached out to Alastair to inquire if the draw would increase over time on its own, or would adding something like Neets Foot Oil do some good. He quickly replied and said that if I wanted to, add a little bit of Neets Foot Oil on the BACK of the strop and after working it in, let the strop hang for several days to let the leather absorb the oil. So I did. Ahhhhhh, now this is much better! It still doesn't have a medium/heavy draw yet, but it is excellent, nonetheless - the strop is silky smooooooooooth - I like it - nice change of pace. BTW, the 2.5" latigo does not come with the same linen secondary component as the 3" horse hide (which is wonderful). But no matter, because I have the 3" one to use.

Hope this has helped.[/QUO

Thsnxs for reply, I guess any strop takes a while to mature with natural use. Light smooth draw my choice which I have with Cordaven. Nice to have a more draw for a change and see how it brings my coticule edge on after honing.

no two ways about it his strops are very well made and his linen is as good as the late Neil millers.

NO!!! :cursing:, I just got a new strop I will not be bullied into buying another one by that gorgeous looking piece of leather...

Besides SWMBO wound't allow it... and where would I put it... a new shaving cabinet you say? She doesn't need to know?? mmm, maybe there is a way after all...

It's been about 5 months since I got the Westholme latigo, so thought I'd give an update on how it's broken in.

I have to say that this has broken in wonderfully, and is probably my favorite strop. It's got a very, very smooth, medium draw and it is just perfect for me. And I like this material in the 2.5" size particularly. I actually prefer it (by a slight margin) over my Westholme 3" Italian Horse Hide (which has become a very heavy draw - which I like also).

I've got a 2.75" shell cordovan en route from Alastair, so I'm looking forward to seeing the change of pace with regards to the other two. Perhaps those with the cordovan can give some specific characteristics for me to anticipate.

Top Bottom