What's new

Has anyone had a meniscus tear?

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. The worst part has been the havoc the anesthesia has played with my stomach. It actually made me look at a corned beef sandwich in disgust. The doc showed me pictures he took when he was in there, and I couldn't believe how frayed it was. I'm lucky that the knee didn't lock up.

Not to scare you, but my wife has been having trouble with her knee. Her meniscus was removed about two years ago, and recently she has needed to have it drained every few weeks. Yesterday she had it drained and received another shot of something, and today she can't walk at all. I'm driving her back to the doctor right now.

Hope your recovery is flawless, Bob.

Now you tell me????? :wink: I hope all works out for mrs. ouch.

Good luck with the recovery! I'd like to offer only one bit of advice: the sooner you get rid of the swelling, the faster everything else happens (decreased pain, increased motion and strength). Ice often, elevate at rest, perform light exercises as prescribed, and take frequent short walks. You'll be back in no time!

Any formal therapy planned?

I'm on it and icing right now. I'm not sure about any PT, yet. I imagine we will discuss it at follow up.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Great to hear that, Bob. My wife had her knee drained and a shot of cortisone. I'm thinking she may need her knee rebuilt.

You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll become un-hobbled. The worst part for me was that my knee locked up, and with my Cadillac plan and the greatest country for medical procedures still took a month to schedule surgery.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. The worst part has been the havoc the anesthesia has played with my stomach. It actually made me look at a corned beef sandwich in disgust. The doc showed me pictures he took when he was in there, and I couldn't believe how frayed it was. I'm lucky that the knee didn't lock up.

Now you tell me????? :wink: I hope all works out for mrs. ouch.

I'm on it and icing right now. I'm not sure about any PT, yet. I imagine we will discuss it at follow up.
Aswome :thumbup:

Good luck with your procedure and recovery, Bob. Would riding a bike be a good substitute for your running? Less impact for sure. Swimming?

Good luck with your procedure and recovery, Bob. Would riding a bike be a good substitute for your running? Less impact for sure. Swimming?

I think so on both counts. The doc says that I can jog, which turns out to be the pace I usually run anyway, but less frequently. Now that I can plan on being active again, I'll probably jog a couple of days per week, and fill that out with bike, swim and elliptical.

The knee is progressively getting back to normal. I can walk on it with no pain, and the swelling is going down. I'm hoping to be back to normal range of motion by mid-week. The damn stitches itch, though.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I dropped off a Pat's and a Geno's at the 18th floor of his school's admin building. They told me "Everyone knows Bob," and assured me they would have no problem delivering them to him.

Had one in the early eighties. Doctor insisted I stay overnight in the hospital afterwards. Had extra strength Tylenol for pain killers and it worked fine. 2006, had a surgery for the same thing on the other knee. Turned out I had a fracture inside the joint that shredded the meniscus. Had some bone work done, along with sucking out what was left of my meniscus. Horrendously painful, and the rehab that followed even more painful. Knew when they woke me up it wasn't the same. Four months on crutches with no weight on that knee. Took me two months to be able to rotate a pedal of an exercise bike. Beware of any doc saying it will be just a simple meniscus repair. Extremely squeamish about any surgery since.

Top Bottom