What's new

Test razor for a new blade; test blade for a new razor?

I'm a relative newbee having returned to DE shaving after a many year hiatus. I'm curious if the more experienced DE shavers use the same safety razor when trying a new blade. Also, do you use the same baseline blade when first trying a new razor?

Thanks in advance!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Welcome back to the DE. I wouldn't be surprised if some here do just that. Since I use only one razor, you could say that I do.

My Wizamet W-11 Adjustable from Poland seems to be my most reliable razor for testing a new blade.
I've got a very wide selection of blades to choose from, but Bic Chrome Platinum(Greece), Gillette 7 O'Clock Green(India) Racer Super Class Platinum(Egypt), Wilkinson Sword(Germany) and Zaza(Turkey) are probably my best all round blades for testing a razor

I don't bother to test new blades any more and I rarely succumb to the lure of a new razor, but keeping as many variables as possible constant would certainly make one's testing more valuable.

Nope. With three decent razors and enough good blades to last me at least a year, doing so would be a waste of time and money, IMO.

I really enjoy trying new razors & blades. I feel it is best to have a standard. If I find a particular razor and blade combo that really rings all the bells, and blows all the whistles they become my testing units. All blades I test in that razor and all razors I test with that blade.

Ron I

Just curious -- what are your test razors and blades?
Thanks!

I really enjoy trying new razors & blades. I feel it is best to have a standard. If I find a particular razor and blade combo that really rings all the bells, and blows all the whistles they become my testing units. All blades I test in that razor and all razors I test with that blade.

Ron I

I'm a relative newbee having returned to DE shaving after a many year hiatus. I'm curious if the more experienced DE shavers use the same safety razor when trying a new blade. Also, do you use the same baseline blade when first trying a new razor?

Thanks in advance!

For me (YMMV) every time I get a new razor I start back with ASTRA SP blades and then work from there through my pack until I find that special one. For me, I find that Astra SP blades always perform well for me, but different blades work different in different razors.

For instance, my 34C works well with Astra SP and Bic Chrome, my 33C is the same (there practically the same), however my 37C does not work well with Bic. I can use Astra and Persona blades with it so far. I will continue to reuse all the razors as I go through blade sampler pack.

I always use my weishi when trying a new blade. Will soon have a Gillette which I have a feeling is gonna end up my go to razor. I started with the Astra SP and used one blade for a week. I ended up with derby as my go to blade. The sharpness/smoothness combo was so good I've stuck with derby the last two weeks.

Cheers,
Chris

With new blades I like to run them through a few razors starting with a Tech or Super Speed then going to a more aggressive one. For a new razor I like to use a blade that already has a few shaves on it, especially if it is said to be an aggressive razor. It also lets me know the blade was good even if the shave went bad.

Hello TooTone,

I pretty much know what to look for with a Muhle, R89, loaded with: Gillette Silver Blue, or Yellow 7 O'clock, and also a Polsilver.

Cheers,
Ron I

Last edited:
When I was going through blade acquisition disorder I would run a new blade through each of my favorite razors for a few shaves (Fat Boy, ATT M2, ATT R1). Through this process I settled on the lab blues (med prep works too but I can't tell the difference between them, so I go with the cheap stuff). Now when I get a new razor the first blade I test with is the lab blue...

Good luck sorting through blades.

Now that I have answered the question, if I could offer a bit of unsolicited advice... If you are new-ish to DE shaving stick with a single well regarded razor, blade, soap, and brush combo for a few months. Experiment with AS if you must change something. Sticking with one set up allows you to refine technique. If you have a bad shave you know it is you and your technique rather than the new stuff you were trying that day. It takes patience but is more scientific (only change one variable at a time!) and will prevent you from dismissing stuff that you may like.

I am not so particular or detailed in selecting razors and blades. Perhaps I am less discerning than most, but I truly can;t tell a lot of difference in various blades and razors other than the moper aggressive razors have a narrower operating angle window.

When I was going through blade acquisition disorder I would run a new blade through each of my favorite razors for a few shaves (Fat Boy, ATT M2, ATT R1). Through this process I settled on the lab blues (med prep works too but I can't tell the difference between them, so I go with the cheap stuff). Now when I get a new razor the first blade I test with is the lab blue...

Good luck sorting through blades.

Now that I have answered the question, if I could offer a bit of unsolicited advice... If you are new-ish to DE shaving stick with a single well regarded razor, blade, soap, and brush combo for a few months. Experiment with AS if you must change something. Sticking with one set up allows you to refine technique. If you have a bad shave you know it is you and your technique rather than the new stuff you were trying that day. It takes patience but is more scientific (only change one variable at a time!) and will prevent you from dismissing stuff that you may like.

+1

Ron I

Top Bottom