What's new

My $02

Some of you might use buzz words or phrases like PTSD or Shell Shock but some of us just call it life. This Memorial Day, while the majority of Americans were burning something that resembled meat on a grill; many of us were dealing with our demons. As a veteran I have witnessed more than my share of carnage.

As we struggle with the demons in our lives some of us are lucky enough to have an outlet for all of this negative energy. Many of my brothers do not. Some of these fine young men turn to drugs and alcohol to push away the pain. As a drunk; I will tell you that these forms of comfort will do you no good!!! I spent many years attempting to "wash" away the pain. It doesn't work!!!

As you lay in bed tonight please throw a prayer out for my brothers in arms who can't find peace in their lives. Veterans are not the only people who deal with death and peril. As a firefighter/EMT, I have witnessed more demise of the human race than is rationally acceptable.

Regardless if you are a troubled Veteran, Fire Fighter, Medic or LEO please reach out to someone if you need help!!!! Nothing can replace the images in our minds but a simple conversation might be a good start. Please reach out to a crisis hotline if you need someone to talk to!!!

1-800-273-8255

Some of you might use buzz words or phrases like PTSD or Shell Shock but some of us just call it life. This Memorial Day, while the majority of Americans were burning something that resembled meat on a grill; many of us were dealing with our demons. As a veteran I have witnessed more than my share of carnage.

As we struggle with the demons in our lives some of us are lucky enough to have an outlet for all of this negative energy. Many of my brothers do not. Some of these fine young men turn to drugs and alcohol to push away the pain. As a drunk; I will tell you that these forms of comfort will do you no good!!! I spent many years attempting to "wash" away the pain. It doesn't work!!!

As you lay in bed tonight please throw a prayer out for my brothers in arms who can't find peace in their lives. Veterans are not the only people who deal with death and peril. As a firefighter/EMT, I have witnessed more demise of the human race than is rationally acceptable.

Regardless if you are a troubled Veteran, Fire Fighter, Medic or LEO please reach out to someone if you need help!!!! Nothing can replace the images in our minds but a simple conversation might be a good start. Please reach out to a crisis hotline if you need someone to talk to!!!

1-800-273-8255

I have to bump this one. PLEASE, anyone suffering, do everything you can to get help. Last summer I lost my best friend and "brother" when he took his own life. He felt he was strong enough and proud enough that he didn't need help. Sadly, he wasn't.

Robert, I'm not a religious man, but my most sincerest emotions go out to you and everyone else dealing with this. Stay strong my friend. :thumbup:

This was a very emotional post. While watching the news last night I wanted to jump thru the screen and beat the tar out of the news anchor when he was describing PTSD as a fad illness. I almost lost it on the TV.....

As stated above, please please please open up and talk to someone if you have a need. Call a hotline, me, a dispatcher on 911..... anyone. We are here to help and will always give a kind heart and set of ears if you need to vent.

Thanks for posting this! I'm pretty sure in Houston yesterday, we saw the manifestation of PTSD in a young man who unleashed a torrent of bullets on an area very near where I live. While I absolutely condemn what he did, I can't help but think that if he had gotten help, this might not have happened. I saw an interview where his parents said that they saw signs, but unfortunately hindsight is 20/20. This is an extremely timely post!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for this. One of the guys in my crew for work just discovered, today, that he has 100% (this is what he termed it) TBI. He is a 4th generational veteran, and he is very concerned about being put on permanent disability, which is pretty much in the works.

Top Bottom