What's new

synthetic

I've got a $10 Razorock Pilsoft synthetic and it is literally the best brush I own for face lathering. Highly recommended.
+1. They make a fine even-consistency peaky lather. I have a $10 24mm one and an $11 26mm Monster for road and home respectively. Neither has lost a single bristle.

For comparison, I got a Fine Accountrememts 20mm Angel Hair brush. I will try it out and report back. It seems SUPER soft to the touch.

Given everything I've learned about synthetics over the past few days, I don't see any reason to buy a badger brush ever again. No need! If I can spend $10 on a brush that is softer, lathers better, dries faster, and probably lasts longer, then the choice is a no brainer, really. Just my .02

Last edited:
I don't know how long synthetics will last - but a I have a badger brush, a Hoffritz, that I bought in 1993 and it is still going strong today.

I have quite a few brushes and I have had a number of synthetics over the past few years. If you like a soft brush - I think it's floppy - then the Plisson Cade would work. My favorite synthetic is the Muhle Silvertip Fibre which has enough backbone for all purposes but is still gentle on the face. Plus, it's the best looking synthetic brush IMHO.

full

I ordered this brush this morning (with the ivory handle), my first synthetic. Looking forward to giving it a run in a few days time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given everything I've learned about synthetics over the past few days, I don't see any reason to buy a badger brush ever again. No need! If I can spend $10 on a brush that is softer, lathers better, dries faster, and probably lasts longer, then the choice is a no brainer, really. Just my .02
That's the conclusion I came to too after trying synths.

I can't recommend the razo rock plissoft brushes enough. I have the Monster which I use at home, it bowl and face lathers well and the Bruce as my travel brush.

Pretty much the attitude that got me into trying, and no going back now!

Same here.

recieved my monster today. All I can say is, WOW! I'm officially a synthetic convert! That brush is fantastic!

Rooney's, Somerset and modern Simpsons, M&F's and Thater share my den.

The modern synths create better lather/prep for the shave to follow. They just do.

The handles & workmanship are nice on the badgers, they work nicely but the synthetics are better imo.

Synthetics are my daily staples. I love them.

Some are more springy than others, but they are awesome for the most part.

I suppose its not a simple choice to make. The same guy can love/prefer synthetics/badgers/boars under different circumstances. I love my synthetics because of the affordability/ease of maintenance/less of soap consumption factor but often I find them too soft. I love my boars for the "massage" they give and during winters I love the warmth of my badgers.

Hi,

I just got the $9.99 Plissoft brush from RazoRock yesterday and used it after my shower. Normally, I'm a big fan of horse hair. I have 3 Vie-Long brushes.

For fun I made it a RazoRock shave with the new brush, the $20 RR TTO razor, and ze' Peppino soap. Overall, I think the brush looks very well made. I love the Ivory handle's weight and shape a lot. Reminds me of my V-L Beehive a bit. The knot is the softest thing I've ever tried, (don't think it will work well with the hard soaps I often use). The lack of backbone and scritch was unsettling to me.

But, when I hit the soap with it, it did a good job of loading the ze' Peppino, as I expected it would. And it held enough water to build a good lather, (I face lather), without needing to add more water or extra effort. Which surprised me. Because in my reading about synthetics, many say they don't hold water as well as natural knots. I did notice the brush cooled the lather quickly like others have mentioned. But I often do a cold water shave anyway. Particularly in summer time.

Overall, it's a good brush, but at this point I still prefer to saddle up my horses. I miss the backbone and scrubby feeling on my face. I'm not done with working with it yet. I will give it a solid week of use minimum. I will try it with my Tabac stick, C.O. Bigalow, Van Der Hagan, and last but not least - Williams. At worst, it will become a travel brush. Stored in my toilette bag with a tube of C.O. Bigalow. That should be a great match.

Dale

I suppose its not a simple choice to make. The same guy can love/prefer synthetics/badgers/boars under different circumstances. I love my synthetics because of the affordability/ease of maintenance/less of soap consumption factor but often I find them too soft. I love my boars for the "massage" they give and during winters I love the warmth of my badgers.

Yup. If softness were your only criteria you could own one perfect brush and be done with it. But there is no perfect brush because there is no perfect mood. There are just moods and brushes.

Top Bottom