What's new

A wander down the River Trent

Was hoping for banded demoiselle to be on the wing, so took Sony A77 and Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro. Darn things never show when you want them!

$DSC01468-copy.jpg$DSC01475-copy.jpg$DSC01478-copy - Copy.jpg$DSC01486-copy.jpg$DSC01497-copy - Copy.jpg

Great pics, Carl! love the river shot, looking at it from a fishermans perspective though:biggrin1:
I got some nice flower pics from Myddelton Gardens near me, need to post them at some point.

I've been wandering the Trent here for 15 years - seen everything from kingfishers to grass snake and love it to bits Warren. It's a phalanx of green between an industrial estate and a major A road. Yet, so peaceful.

The river shot was taken under a bridge where the river often dries in patches - tempted to pop on the 17-50mm and get a tripod down low one day!

And get them shots posted sir!

Carl

Sounds great there! there are a pair of Kingfishers at a lake I fish, tried on several occasions to get some shots, but no luck so far! They are just blue blurs whizzing past:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Warren, sounds familiar! We've had them diving, sitting and all too far away, even in the old 500mm days!

BSA, thanks - nice hour stroll!

Sounds about right, I sat there for ages watching and waiting, looked down to grab my cup of tea and they zoomed past, typical:biggrin1:

Excellent shots! I've been trying this lately, but I still run the 18-55 kit lens. What's something in a cheaper range that would be an upgrade for a Canon? I seen at Best Buy there's a 50mm 1.8, but I'm thinking based on what some people say that their 40mm 1.2 (I think?), is better yet? I'm doing alright I think, but I want the clarity some people get with better lens's.

$Qsarj0x.jpg

$uvR63uc.jpg

[MENTION=76298]Cash_Stronomer[/MENTION] I could get decent flower pics with my Nikon 18-55 kit lens, I always tried to keep a high shutter speed if not using a tripod, it might be a case of keeping your kit lens steady and upping the shutter speed? maybe start a new thread and you will probably get better replies as well!

CS
I'm no Canon expert, but the 50mm f1.8 is a) so cheap and b) fantastic iq for a) that I'd get one just to have in the bag. I've a Sony 50mm f1.8 for the A77 and pretty much the same focal length covered by the 60mm f2.8 - both cost £120/$130. But for floral shots, you'd need to get closer than that would allow.

I used to use the Tamron 70-300mm with 1:2 macro for larger subjects, with some success. The Sigma version was sharper, though it fell to pieces under Sony's torquey AF motor.

Try the 50mm f1.8 and a set of close up lenses to see how you get on.

^ I was saying to do a new thread under a good heading to try and get a better reply than mine:001_smile But, Carl has offered some good advice there.

One thing I love about my Sony bodies prior to the A6000 is the ibis - really been a life saver at times. I will now, however, always fallback on a tripod for still life shots.

Top Bottom