What's new

Traeger Grill owners - Advice needed.

After being a confirmed Weber guy since, well, the world was young, I'm seriously considering a Traeger.

My brother-in-law owns one, but he's in Spain at the moment; no advice to be gotten there.

So, what do you think of these? What do do they do well? What do they not do so well?

Would you buy one again? All comments and advice are appreciated.

I'm looking at the Pro Series 22. Big enough for a turkey?

$TFB57PZB_BRZ_01.png

Last edited:
FIW the customer reviews on Amazon are over 26% negative. As far as I can tell these are now another Chinese copy of a once good American product.

I went to get a Traeger, took home a Big Green Egg and have zero regrets. Easy to set the temp and it holds it in the wind and snow. Sheet metal doesn't works so well. Lots of places carry the pellets now, that was another point in the BGE favor when I bought it a few years ago.

I don't own a traeger, but I do have a smoke hollow pellet grill. I'll tell you that it's by far the easiest smoker I've ever used. I came from a side box stick burner and alot of sleepless nights! With the pellet grill, you just have to make sure your hopper is full and you're good to go. Really the reason I bought it was for my wife. I deploy alot and she loves smoked foods. It's really like cooking in an oven so even she can do it!
I know some guys look at the pellet grills as sacrilege but I get amazing BBQ without the hassle.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Pros- ease of use, set it and forget it. Cons- the pellets cost more relatively, and like noted above, it will have a harder time maintaining heat in bad weather (which is where the eggs shine). If you can live with the cons, they are great machines.

I live 50 miles from Traeger headquarters and have owned several. So, my $0.02 is as follows:

Joe Traeger pretty much invented the pellet grill and they used to be manufactured in a barn in rural Oregon. They were great, but since have sold to investors and the manufacturing has since been moved to China. I have not had a Chinese-built Traeger, so I can't attest to their quality.

However, since inventing the concept of pellet cookery, they really haven't improved their technology, while others have drastically improved the controls and features of the computer-chip controls which provide more even temps and advanced features (built-in meat probes, remote controlling, programmable settings, etc.) I currently own a Mak, but there are many other brands that all work similarly. For this reason, I would recommend a different brand than Traeger.

Pros of any pellet grill: They are basically a wood-fired oven, so whatever an oven can do well, they also do well. Standing rib roasts (prime rib), Ribs, Briskets, Chickens, Pizza, breads, cookies, casseroles, etc. EASY maintenance: push a button, and you're cooking.

Cons: Because they only offer indirect heat, they don't sear. Even the ones that claim they do, don't do it well enough to bother. For this reason, I use another method for steaks, burgers, veggies, etc. Charcoal or propane grill, or even cast iron on the stovetop will afford you better results.

Top Bottom