What's new

UK Newbie checking in!

After a long time of using B&B as a reference for reviews etc, I've finally created an account!

A little bit about me: I have a beard. A full-set beard. Sorry. Still, I need to keep my neck clean and I'm bloody well going to do that in the classiest, best way I can!
BUT, I'm getting married in August and have made the decision that while I'm in Italy (where I'm getting married), the beard will be coming off to reveal my pale, pasty white chin and cheeks in preparation for a bronzing on my honeymoon. Maybe I'll do it in real style with an Italian hot towel shave.

Shaving wise, I had a brief foray into the world of cut-throat shaving about 8 years ago, then I went stubbly for a long time for convenience before growing a bush on my face. In the last couple of weeks I've gone and got myself into the world of DE shaving with a Muhle R106 razor, and an Edwin Jagger Super Badger brush. Currently using Proraso Red soap, Proraso pre-shave cream, an alum block and Proraso Aftershave Lotion and I'm waiting for an Arko stick and Taylor of Old Bond Street/Jermyn cream to be delivered. I have every intention of trying out as many soaps/creams/potions and lotions as my wallet will allow me, but thought it best to start off with a widely trusted brand that didn't cost the earth. I'm convinced that Proraso will be my aftershave of choice, although I'll certainly be creating a collection.

Currently I'm still on the hunt for "my" blade - having a very sensitive neck I'm finding it difficult to finish a shave without incredibly painful razor burn. I'm using Dorco Platinum ST300 blades right now but I have a selection of blades on their way to me: Feather Platinum, Gillete 7 O'Clock (yellow), Personna and Polsiver. I've also tried a Muhle blade but will need to revisit those. I'm sure that a lot of the irritation is down to not having the correct technique yet, as I've seen a huge improvement after recent shaves.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you guys and after a bit of time, actually having something to offer to what seems to be a great community.

Oh! Today I actually had my first shave with next to no irritation (3 pass, all with the grain), which reasserted my position on DE shaving and drove me to actually say hello. So, hello!

Welcome from a relative noob. I also have had razor burn on the neck in the throat area. My experience suggests a lubrication lack (soap) and technique. You seem to have found a way that doesn't cause razor burn so stay with it. You might also try changing your angle of attack for the blade. That has made a difference for me.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hi, welcome to B&B
Tip : If you like the Personna blades, Boot's and Tesco's own brand DE blades are made in Israel by Personna

Greetings and Hallucinations.. Glad you're here...

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials and your irritation-free shave.

welcome along, I too have the sensitive neck area causing a great deal of razor burn I have found the following,
some creams increase the problem, for me anything with citrus in it burns like crazy which is a shame as I was looking forward to trying and using many creams, Palmolive cream in green tube available in tescos works well for me as well as dove sensitive cream available in asda, the dove says to use direct on face but it works well from a bowl.
blades so far I have tried derby which were ok, shark not so, astra terrible, 7 o clock green ok and currently polsilver very good
technique I do three passes, face wtg, xtg and atg but the neck needs more care 2xwtg and a final xtg I sometimes try atg but end up with weepers
Post shave using an alum block or styptic and a lash of nivea sensitive ASB helps a lot I do often treat myself to an Aftershave along the lines of Fine clean vetiver but end up revisiting the nivea

[MENTION=110509]Darkprincelucifer[/MENTION] Welcome to Badger & Blade! We are very glad that you have found our little corner of the interwebs. There are many great conversations going on even as we speak. Take a look around, find one you like, and start posting away. Once again, Welcome to B&B!

Welcome to B&B! While you are in Italy there should be great deals on proraso, cella, figaro, omega etc. be sure to utilize that chance!

Really?! :blink: That's great to know - thanks for that.
No probs, one of the things I've missed about England since moving to Mallorca 10 years ago are proper Chemists, Farmacias sell a very limited stock of shaving gel, cartridge razors and cartridges, but nothing else for shaving.
Mercadona supermarket sells Wilkinson Sword brushes, Lea shaving cream and shaving sticks and Williams Aqua Velva, Floid Vigaroso and a few other aftershaves. They sell Personna blades at €2,25 for 10- great blades, but too pricey
Eroski and Carrefour sell La Toja shaving sticks and shaving cream, Williams Aqua Velva, Floid Vigaroso and La Toja Aftershave, but no DE blades
Most of my shaving gear came from eBay !!

Boots also used to sell Wilkinson Sword Classic DE razors and blades, Palmolive Shaving Sticks, Brut and Old Spice

Also check out Lloyd's Pharmacy, when I lived in Haslemere, Surrey back in the 1990's they used to have a good selection of Kent shaving brushes and Crabtree & Evelyn Shaving Creams and Colognes

No probs, one of the things I've missed about England since moving to Mallorca 10 years ago are proper Chemists, Farmacias sell a very limited stock of shaving gel, cartridge razors and cartridges, but nothing else for shaving.
Mercadona supermarket sells Wilkinson Sword brushes, Lea shaving cream and shaving sticks and Williams Aqua Velva, Floid Vigaroso and a few other aftershaves. They sell Personna blades at €2,25 for 10- great blades, but too pricey
Eroski and Carrefour sell La Toja shaving sticks and shaving cream, Williams Aqua Velva, Floid Vigaroso and La Toja Aftershave, but no DE blades
Most of my shaving gear came from eBay !!

Boots also used to sell Wilkinson Sword Classic DE razors and blades, Palmolive Shaving Sticks, Brut and Old Spice

Also check out Lloyd's Pharmacy, when I lived in Haslemere, Surrey back in the 1990's they used to have a good selection of Kent shaving brushes and Crabtree & Evelyn Shaving Creams and Colognes

I'm a big fan of Boots. Even in Norway, where my wife is from and we spend half the year, they are opening more stores and have a good selection. Otherwise Norway is a shave desert. Lloyd's however, has got a lot worse in Britain. Most of my stuff comes from Ebay too - It's hard to beat 100 German Wilkinsons for 10.30 & 100 Voskhods for 7 quid. There has been a serious decline of Chemists in Britain.:blink:

Welcome to the madhouse Darkprincelucifer. :biggrin1: :devil: :w00t:

... A little bit about me: I have a beard. A full-set beard. Sorry. Still, I need to keep my neck clean and I'm bloody well going to do that in the classiest, best way I can!
BUT, I'm getting married in August and have made the decision that while I'm in Italy (where I'm getting married), the beard will be coming off to reveal my pale, pasty white chin and cheeks in preparation for a bronzing on my honeymoon. Maybe I'll do it in real style with an Italian hot towel shave. ...
Best wishes for the big day! :001_wub:

Assuming I've picked you up right, and that you'll be clean shaven for your wedding... I'm wondering why you don't shave your beard off now so you can get plenty of practice in, for perfection on the day.

If you're remaining bearded for your wedding, just ignore my comment above. :blushing:

I'm afraid you've picked me up wrong! After several years of my good lady complaining about my "horrible beard", I thought I would get the most eager of responses when I declared that I was thinking of shaving the thing off for the wedding. However, all I got back was "Really? Oh... I sort of like it now. It suits you." :angry:

So I'm thinking that we get married, then I pop along to a barber in Verona and let him have at it. Then I can spend an unfair proportion of our honeymoon in the Maldives talking about how well B soap is moisturising my face or how close Y razor shaves (that naturally, I will buying in Italy along with W, X and Z razors and A, C and D soaps).

My GOD she's a lucky woman.

Top Bottom