What's new

Lawn Mower Recommendations

I have a Toro that absolutely refuse to put any more $$ into. Every year it's a belt or two, bearings etc. I am pretty upset. The engine is in great shape. If I was abusing the machine I would expect repairs. The kicker is I just had it tuned up and had the belt replaced again. I have paid more in repairs (not maintenance) than I paid for the mower 6 years ago. I talked with several other friends/neighbors who had Toros and similar problems. Both of them switched over to Honda.

I am thinking Honda. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hehe, well I was coming here to say Honda. I have an HRX217VKA (the lowest of the HRX line). It's awesome and been going strong now in its 4th summer. I don't have a huge yard and it doesn't get a million hours, so I've only changed the oil in it once, last year. The whole deck is plastic and it won't rust; I spray the whole mower off regularly to keep it clean. The mulching blade works great and I've never once used the bag. Honda small engines can't be beat so if you don't get a Honda mower, at least get something with one of their engines (but I'd just go and get the whole Honda mower). Good luck!

Toro, Troybuilt, John Deer, etc, make different (cheaper) models for the home centers. I had a Troybuilt, with Honda engine, that was a *** from day one, including the engine, Lowes wouldn't do anything about it, but refer me to THEIR service center, Troybuilt refused to even discuss it. I now spend the few extra $ and get lawn equipment from lawn equipment retailers and it is much better built, works at altitude, and some one stands behind the warranty and servicing.

I spent the extra $$ and bought the Toro from a dealer, knowing that there is a difference between some of what the big box stores sell and what a dealer sells.

I have looked at the HRX line up. I too do not have a huge yard.

Last edited:
I spent the extra $$ and bought the Toro from a dealer, knowing that there is a difference between some of what the big box stores sell and what a dealer sells..
:thumbup1: Plus it keeps more money local. I would add a vote for a locally sourced (dealer) Honda. Ask the dealer and they will likely not over-sell you. My dealer talked me down a level based on usage and I could not be happier. I am on my second Honda. I donated the first one after 15 years use. I know who picked it up and he is still using it. I traded because of a feature I wanted (ok- the spouse wanted to help and wanted it). I think maybe 15 times in 19 years of using a Honda I have had to pull more than once to start and it is usually that I shut it off too quickly rather than letting it run down slowly. But I have friends who swear by Toro and Snapper. Oh, and my dealer beat HDs price on the same model though I did not ask him to.

Last edited:
I too have the Honda with the plastic deck, self propelled, variable mulch/bag adjustment, twin blade. Before that, I had the basic Honda model. It's a great mower. They always start even after sitting all winter. My M-I-L who is a master gardener, was impressed with how well it cuts.

I'd get a Honda as my next push mower. Granted this is coming from a guy who has a craftsman with the Briggs engine and year after year that fires up on the first pull every time and runs so quiet and smooth that I doubt will ever die.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've been using a Scott's self propelled lawnmower for over 15 years with no problems. The treads are starting to wear out but aside from that, a spark plug or two, and oil changes, it has been great. I believe that it is a re-branded MTD who have been around since 1932. Honda does have an impressive reputation. When it is time to replace mine I'll probably go that direction.

I like my Toro, but it's relatively new. Had a Deere push mower for 12 years, then bought a Toro self-propelled 2 years ago as I'm getting old and got tired of pushing. I looked at Honda but couldn't see spending the extra $100 or more and preferred having a B&S engine like the Deere. I buy my mowers & other yard equipment from a local dealer, not from the major stores.

I hear good things about the Honda 21 inch push mower (HRS216K5PKA). Not very expensive. I know a guy who is technically completely inept (total butter fingers, banana heels, mental problems) and he can do the maintenance on that mower and use it without mowing his toes off.

Last edited:
I used to be a box store mower guy. I couldn't see paying big money for a Honda. A family friend gave me a used one 7 years ago. It's an HRC216HXA. I love that thing. The first start of the spring takes two pulls, otherwise it starts with a single pull. Before owning one I would have refused to pay the price. Now I will repair the current one until it's absolutely dead then replace it with another one.

I have a 2 year old Ariens "Razr". Love the adjustable handle on the side to raise/ lower the mower with ease. Mulch plug works very well when I'm not bagging the clippings. It is a tad on the heavier side when pushing it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I've had a Honda self propelled mower for over 15 years and it's still like new. Other than normal maintenance items, it's been flawless.

I think it is going to be a Honda from a local dealer. Honda is still offering a 6 year warranty for one more day on their mowers. So I will be going that route.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I am on the second Toro since 1987, the only reason I got the second (2008) was I needed (well, wanted) a self-propelled one during the summer of chemotherapy. The new Toro starts in the spring and every time with a gentle tug. Coincidentally, a neighbor asked me last week to help him load his Honda in his trunk for transport to a garage sale. He had two mowers "just in case", the Honda and a Toro. He is keeping the Toro as he likes the way it handles & starts better. He mentioned that the Honda had a thumb throttle or drive control that was a pita

I note that Toro advertises some of their line as having Honda engines .. maybe that would be the best of both worlds?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I mow Joseph's lawn with his Toro, and I don't like that mower.

It's too heavy and Joseph puts on the grass bag and adds gas to it as I mow.

And he makes dang sure that the blade is sharp.

He should have bought another mower. I hate that mower.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
When I moved to a place that had a lawn (it's something green, for you city folk) I bought an inexpensive one from Sears to tide me over until I bought something "good".

It's now in its 23rd season with no maintenance other than plugs, air filters, and blades. I might just buy another.

Several years ago when researching a new self-propelled mower, I asked my town's thriving small engine repair shop. The owner immediately answered "Sears Craftsman." He said that they rarely saw Craftsmen mowers in their shop, despite their being priced very competitively and our having a big Sears Store <10 miles away. I took his advice, and bought the Craftsman. I follow the oil change guidelines, keep the blade sharp, and..knock on wood..have had zero issues with my mower.

Top Bottom