What's new

Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just recently got my carry permit and the past few weeks have been the first time I've ever carried a loaded weapon on me at all times.

I have been carrying without a round in the chamber. I have been carrying the Ruger LCP with no safety. I thought it was best if I carried without one in the chamber while I got used to having the gun on me. Walking, bending, sitting, in general just moving around. It does take a bit of adjustment and "getting used to it".

I realize this has put me at a disadvantage but it's a risk I was willing to take. I feel that it's time to chamber a round and keep it that way.

I'm just curious where the group here stands. If you have a gun without a safety do you keep a round chambered?

When I first started carrying I did the same. Around 4 months in I started carrying with one in the pipe. Like you said, it takes some time to get used to it.
Congratulations on your choice to conceal carry!

I see concealed carry as a personal choice. Even having a CCW is a start, and carrying it often is even bigger step. If it makes you more comfortable that way, which leads to you carrying and being more familiar with it, then I see a step forwards. It doesn't matter if it's loaded or not, or how many rounds it holds, if you won't carry it.

In a class I took a few years ago we ran a "Tueller Drill". Once loaded, once not loaded. The difference was too much for me to ignore. Personally I do, but I think every individual has to make that choice for themselves. Carrying often is the hard habit to make. Whereas deciding on "Condition One", is easy to integrate.

With modern handguns in good working order, then chances of an accidental discharge while carrying are almost non existent. As long as you properly train to keep your finger off the trigger until the time arises, you're good.

I don't really carry my Glock G27 on me anymore (too big), but if I had an LCP (and I think I will pretty soon) I would go without a round in the chamber like do with my Glock. I know the arguments against doing so, and I have been criticized for doing it, but I feel safer with the gun on me, but without a round in the chamber. The way I see it, with a Glock or any other pistol, having it with a full magazine is better than having it stored away in a drawer at home.

You could say that if you carried a snub-nosed 38 revolver, you always have a round in the chamber. I really think it's personal preference. I have kids around my house. They're not big enough to chamber a round. If I have a round chambered, I've done it for them, and then I become responsible for any accidents. I don't think my kids would do that since they've been educated in the respect of firearms, but when their friends are around, I don't know who is educated and who might think it's a toy.

When it comes down to it, I think having a gun on your person without a chambered round is better than not having it. In the words of Woodrow F. Call, "It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it".

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
On duty and off duty: round in the chamber and no safety!!
Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have identified your target and have made the decision to shoot.
When the "oh poop" moment happens you will not think about chambering a round unless you train to chamber after each and every single shot.
Almost 30 years of carrying a weapon and 25 years as an instructor!

On duty and off duty: round in the chamber and no safety!!
Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have identified your target and have made the decision to shoot.
When the "oh poop" moment happens you will not think about chambering a round unless you train to chamber after each and every single shot.
Almost 30 years of carrying a weapon and 25 years as an instructor!

What He Said +1.

'Click' is a terrible sound to hear. And it is the reason we train to check for a loaded weapon every time we pick a firearm up. It is why we train in drills to consistently count. It is why we train with a partner in interrupted fires scenarios. Why we practice surprise fail to fires, and reloads; removing empty magazines and smoothly replacing full magazines. Learn these to a point of unconscious competency and we have half a chance to survive a fight without an unexpected 'click' from our weapon.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
All...Ways. If it doesn't have a safety it has a long DA trigger pull. Just as safe as a revolver.

My Walther TPH has a safety, but since the first shot is DA, with SA thereafter, I keep one up the pipe and the safety off.

Last edited:
Although , when working at my last job , for 33 years ,I carried a North American Arms .22 mini revolver every single day loose in my pocket for those 33 years.I always kept the hammer down on a dead cylinder.After 33 years I retired ,and figured the insides must need a good cleaning.I sent the mini ( their first model ) back to them with a note explaining how long it was in my pocket ,and to get the "lint" out,send me the bill and I'd send them a money order pronto...After a few weeks I received a BRAND NEW gun ,no charge , with my original serial numbers tapped into the steel,what a shock to get service like that !!...The new model had several improvements over the original pistol ,that I purchased when it first came out.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Although , when working at my last job , for 33 years ,I carried a North American Arms .22 mini revolver every single day loose in my pocket for those 33 years.I always kept the hammer down on a dead cylinder.After 33 years I retired ,and figured the insides must need a good cleaning.I sent the mini ( their first model ) back to them with a note explaining how long it was in my pocket ,and to get the "lint" out,send me the bill and I'd send them a money order pronto...After a few weeks I received a BRAND NEW gun ,no charge , with my original serial numbers tapped into the steel,what a shock to get service like that !!...The new model had several improvements over the original pistol ,that I purchased when it first came out.

Got a pic? I like those tiny guns. I think they may be one of just a few companies still making the tiny pocket pistol.

$concern 001.jpg

That issue is not a concern of mine....

Yes, always. My carry gun has a safety. I use it and train with it: no big deal. But having to rack the slide to shoot is a big deal.

The two "house guns" are always loaded and have a round in the chamber.

$CZ 001.jpg

On those very rare times that I do carry a semi-auto my CZ has one in the pipe and it is Decocked..Hammer is in the half cocked position....

No disrespect meant and or intended to Bobby Mac, but I had one of his wheelgun holsters and our second son Donnie bought me this holster as a gift, and I ended up selling Bobby's holster. I preferred this over his offering which by the way is a very fine holster indeed...BTW: You are welcome....

I always carry with a round in the chamber. That includes my LCP. The stock LCP has around an 6 pound trigger pull, so its not like a cocked SA/DA pistol. Besides, its designed to be ready to fire as soon as its in your hand.

Top Bottom