What's new

Best way to warm up lather on my new g12

Hi everyone,
i recently picked up a new 'seconds' G12 scuttle. However, the lather is not feeling as warm as I'd expect it to be. Am I missing something?

Here's my process:

- Fill up scuttle and bowl with hot tap water
- Place brush in bowl
- Take a 10 min shower
- Empty water out of scuttle and refill with hot tap water, then proceed to load cream on brush and work up lather

This is my whole process and as I said the lather doesn't feel as warm as I'd like.
Any idea if I should lengthen the process or refill a third time?

Thanks in advance,

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
That sou 's good to me. How hot is your tap water? The point of a scuttle is warm, not hot, lather. Too hot and you run the risk of lather breakdown. If the water is too hot to hold your hand under for more than a few seconds, it's probably too hot.

I've seen some fill it up with hot tap water just to warm up scuttle, then immediately empty. Fill up again with hot tap and fill bowl with hot tap while showering.

This is basically my process with a g20 and it works pretty well.

I've seen some fill it up with hot tap water just to warm up scuttle, then immediately empty. Fill up again with hot tap and fill bowl with hot tap while showering.

This is basically my process with a g20 and it works pretty well.

Thanks. I'm gonna give this try. Perhaps it takes longer to 'heat up'.

I agree with captp; if the water is too hot, the lather breaks down.

However, there's quite a bit of variance in water temperature (at least at my place). A G12 is microwavable, so the easiest way of preparing water is to remove the rubber stopper, add a cup of water to your scuttle, and microwave for a minute or two (but no more than that; you don't want boiling water). When it's out of the microwave, insert the stopper.

Usually, at least with my G20, I noticed that I had to run hot water over it first to get it nice and heated. Then I start filling it up with hot water on the bowl and in the scuttle. Warmth lasts longer that way for me. Also, some people go as far as filling their sink before they shower so they can ensure it stays hot throughout, and drain the sink once they're done, as well as refilling the scuttle.

OP: You're doing what I do with my G20. Time to turn your water heater up.

How hot is your tap water? The point of a scuttle is warm, not hot, lather. Too hot and you run the risk of lather breakdown. If the water is too hot to hold your hand under for more than a few seconds, it's probably too hot.

I have hot tap water that hot, and have never seen "lather breakdown" with over 50 soaps and creams. I'm beginning to think it's an urban myth, unless the fact that my water is soft is a factor.

I think it's possible that you could microwave water to be "too hot" for lather, but I wouldn't know.

I've never used a scuttle before, but it seems to me that maybe you should try submerging the entire scuttle into a pail or other container of very hot water while showering. This way you'd maximize the heat absorption and retention until you're ready to lather up.

I've never used a scuttle before, but it seems to me that maybe you should try submerging the entire scuttle into a pail or other container of very hot water while showering. This way you'd maximize the heat absorption and retention until you're ready to lather up.

Filling the sink with hot water (and submerging the scuttle) will do, too. Then replace the hot water inside it before lathering. Kind of like "warming the pot" when making a proper cup of tea.

Crank up your water temperature for your second fill. Mine comes from a tea kettle, simmering not boiling. My guess the temp is around 180 to 190 degrees. I use an SWK scuttle.

Like tromboneliness, I've never had lather break down because it was too hot. Lather is also a terrible heat conductor; bowl lathering for me quickly negates a lot of the scuttle's heat. The second, tea kettle fill sits in the scuttle while I shower, allowing the heat to transfer to the scuttle shell. Hot water tap pre-heat, tea kettle for shaving heat. I've never had a problem doing it this way.

Don

Top Bottom