What's new

Bunn NHS brewer

I have had a BUNN NHS brewer for several months now (http://www.amazon.com/BUNN-Velocity-10-Cup-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B00EAQJCWW). I have been using the flow restrictor sprayhead instead of the standard sprayhead to slow down the brew a little bit.

I have found that it makes a good consistent cup of coffee, but it has some weird design issues:
  1. The pot warmer does not automatically turn itself off, so you need to remember to do so.
  2. It is designed to always keep a full pot of water hot inside its tank. This is how it brews quickly - you cause the next brew to start by pouring more water into the machine, which displaces an "equal" amount of water into the current brew, while starting to heat the next pot of water that was just poured into the machine. However, it can take several minutes to heat the next pot. The issue is that if you pour more water in before the current tank is fully heated, it will start the brewing process anyways, even if the water is not fully heated. There is no indicator light or anything to say when it is ready, so you just kind of have to wait until you hear that it is done heating the tank. You also need to make sure that the basket / grinds & carafe are always in place before you pour water in, because the brew process starts as soon as you put water into the machine and close the lid - literally within seconds.
  3. If you go more than 24 hours between brews, some of the water inside of the tank will have evaporated, which will lead to less coffee out the other end that you were expecting - as it needs to fill the tank before it can displace the water for the brew. You cannot see the water level inside the heating tank, so you can't really be sure how much water you will get, unless you pour an initial pot of water through to "refresh" the tank, which means waiting again for the tank to heat up before you can start your brew.

Does anybody else have any experience with this machine?

I have a couple "home" brewers and a 12 cup commercial. Been using Bunn brewers for decades.

They ARE different and do take a bit to get used to but they make a killer cup of joe

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom