What's new

To-un Ihara razors

Hello everybody! I've been lurking on the forums for a while and have finally decided to register to B&B and take a plunge into straight razors. I am starting my first graduate job so looking to start clean-shaven and start the next phase of my life with a more sophisticated shaving system.

I have been looking at a lot of razors and trying to narrow down my first razor to a few options. I definitely have expensive tastes and have looked at some really expensive (and, beautiful) razors.

Anyway, here are the two choices I have got:

To-un Ihara:
https://www.fendrihan.com/products/...-6-8-black-and-red-handle?variant=19757265670

Thiers Issard Grelot Zebra:
https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/...-zebra-razor-with-stainless-steel-scales.html

I love the concept of Japanese steel and craftmanship. Having spent a bit of time living in Japan, I find the To-un calls out more to me. Has anyone here had any experience with this maker and able to offer any perspective on quality? Doing some searching hasn't turned up a huge amount.

Also, I love the look of straight razor with stainless steel scales - if anyone has any recommendations for an affordable one, please do share.

Thanks a lot and look forward to posting more :thumbup:
Ali

Welcome aboard shipmate!

Wow, both of those razors are beauties! Price wise they're a bit out of my league =). A lot of guys (myself included) pickup a vintage blade from Larry at the Whipped Dog http://www.whippeddog.com to see if straight razor shaving is something they want to do. The BST board here at B&B is another good place to look for an affordable blade.

Welcome to the forums. Never heard of the Ihara, but TI is real quality stuff. However if it is your first straight, I would agree with jlindy and get something less expensive as your first razor. Many start with a Sight Unseen razor from Larry. They are in good condition and come properly honed. The other option would be to get a shave ready Gold Dollar (I think someone sells them in the BST section). The practical reason for starting out that way is because by going down this road, at some point you will have to strop and hone your razor and it would be better to practice those skills on a cheap razor. Besides, you don't want to blow all your funds on a razor and then use Barbasol canned foam. You would need a proper brush and some quality shaving soap (which you will need no matter which razor format you settle on).

happy trails.

Welcome here.
You have already got excellent pieces of advice.

My 2 cts here:

1) avoid inox blades as a first choice. Stainless steel blades are stiffer than carbon steel made and you want something easy to shave with for your fist journey

2) have the razor honed by an expert. You have great hobbyists here who can do that for you. Do not trust "shave ready " proclaims from vendors. Their shave ready concept often means "bevel set" which is far away from delivering a comfortable shave.

3) I also can recommend to try a NOS 5/8 or 6/8 . Old steel is most of the time better than new. Many NOS Japanese razors are available on eBay by the way....

That said ..pick-up the one you like most !!

I have a similar Thiers Issard. The stainless steel scales are quite heavy and puts the razor way out of balance. I re-scaled it with horn and it's a fine razor.

Thanks jlindy, gvw775, Mango and alpster. Great community with everybody saying welcome and offering advice, much appreciated.

I took the plunge and went for the To-un Ihara. It looks incredible in the images and can't wait to receive it. I know it's a little on the more expensive side for starting out but this is my treat to myself for finally get my "big boy" job. Hopefully the quality and the experience of the razor will make it a worthwhile investment. I have spent the last few years just trimming my beard with electric razor and shaving using cartridges when I needed to - so looking forward to a new face!

I emailed the guys at Fendrihan to see if I could get a bit more info about the razor. They said they didn't have much more info but were happy to ask the manufacturer anything I was interested in. I want to learn a bit more about the razor. In particular, I have only seen To-un Ihara knives and wanted to know how this product came about.

Does anyone have any advice on what specific questions I could ask? Or, what you would ask the manufacturer of your razor in a similar situation? I'm going to see if I can find out where in Japan it was made, and when, and ask Ihara has made any other razors. Please let me know any other good questions!!

I have never heard of that brand (and I have a lot of Japanese razors).
I'd be curious to know what volume they produce/sale.
Also how long they have been making razors in general and this model specifically.

It's a recent production. Most probably an OEM based on Hitachi Shirogami (white paper) steel
Should shave well but will be stiff. Will need perfect honing.
Congrats

Thanks guys. It should be arriving with me late next week and look forward to taking some pictures. I have also gone back to Fendrihan to ask them for more info regarding Ihara's straight razor heritage and models, the steel, etc. and will share any news I get back.

It's a recent production. Most probably an OEM based on Hitachi Shirogami (white paper) steel
Should shave well but will be stiff. Will need perfect honing.
Congrats

Thanks for this, Mango. I will be looking for someone (ideally on the site) to do the initial hone and get it shave ready. Do you have any recommendations or anything special I should consider before select someone?

At the beginning of my journey, I had Doc226 (Alfredo) honing my razors, and still need him today when I stumble against a headache.

He delivers wonderful edges, is generous, patient and willing to teach.

Bottom line: he's great and will take good care of you.

At the beginning of my journey, I had Doc226 (Alfredo) honing my razors, and still need him today when I stumble against a headache.

Thank you for your recommendation, Mango. I sent a message to Doc and need to wait patiently for a reply. I have now received the razor and hoping to get it shave ready as soon as possible.

Can anybody recommend someone in the UK who would be able to do the initial hone? I have set up a thread in the hone sub-forum, but thought there would be no harm in continuing the discussion about the Ihara in this thread, too.

I have received a response from one potentially honemeister but he is hesitant to accept the job without knowing if the razor has a good reputation and of good quality. I can only assume so, given that I have purchased from a good retailer and paid a decent price.

He has said: "I basically set the bevel on a 3 k naniwas then move to a coticule."
Does this sound appropriate for the razor, in anybodys opinion? :blushing:

Thanks for all support
Ali

Hi
I'll ask Alfredo (doc) to get back to you asap
Leave it with me
Going from a 3 K to a Coticule is not unusual but a good edge depends a lot on the technique
We'll find a way to give you a good shave !

Doc has honed may an edge for me as well and just like Mango I still call on his knowledge and expertise when I start banging my head against the wall on honing, I currently have a nice setup of stones and can usually get a more than acceptable edge but it take me about 3X as long as Doc, he makes honing look so easy, you can trust his work and expertise.

Doc's edges are clinically proven to be superior to all.

I look forward to see how this razor performs. It's out of my price range, but seems to be a decent price for what it is.

Thanks gents -- glad to hear Doc has such solid recommendations. He has been in contact and will get my Ihara over to him asap. I will follow up on this thread in a few weeks to let you know more about it. Thanks for all responses, such a great community!

Top Bottom