What's new

Does anyone use Col Conk

Does anyone here use Col Conk soaps consistently ?
I just love the Col Conk Bay rum scent.
Seems that I don't get as good a shave as with some other brands.
Can anyone suggest a similar smelling soap/cream ?

Col Conk is mediocre at best. I used the free sample I got as a hand soap by the kitchen sink.

I am a huge fan of Bay rum.

I would suggest Barrister and Mann Bay rum and Captains Choice Bay rum. Both are out of this world good.
Also great paired with Captains Choice bay rum aftershave splash or if you're brave Cat'o'nine tails (burns so good!)
Secondary choices would be Stirling's Bay rum or Mike's soaps Bay rum.
No doubt CC has a great Bay Rum scent. I didn't get along well with the Col at first but I learned I could get a good shave with it recently while revisiting it. Not the best soap but for the price it's not bad.

I've almost finished my puck of Col Conk Almond, it's the only lather I've made for months. Took me a bit to get a decent consistent lather going but I've found it a nice soap to use longterm. Doesn't excel in any area but does slip nicely into the background, I like it. Probably won't buy it again as there is a world of soap out there, and in here.

As for bay rum.....not much help, I had a few nice bay rum soap samples once upon a time but can't recall where from.

I am glad you like the Col. but I think there are other soaps that perform better relative to the cost.

My brother gave me a Col Conk Bay Rum. I've only used it a couple of times so far, but no issues with it. I've got other soaps I prefer, but Col Conk does the job for a really reasonable price.

I've yet to hear any praise for Col. Conk. It is popular with newcomers, because of its price, but that seems to be its only advantage.

Bay rum is a classic, in the world of shaving soaps. Everyone makes one, so you have plenty of options to choose from. Mike's, Mystic, CRSW, B&M, Strop Shoppe, Captain's Choice, LASSC, Ogallala, Reef Point, TTFFC, WSP, etc. Not all bay rums are created equal, however. Some are clovey, some are not. Some are sweet, some are not. Etc. Figure out what you are interested in, and then try a few soaps.

I'm using Conk Lime currently. It's good stuff for the price. Not the best, but it looks good from my house! I would throw a vote for a.bay rum to Barrister and Mann. Really good performer. Great scent, slickness, and cushion.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Years ago I got some, finished it off, and realized there are better soaps to be found.

I've yet to hear any praise for Col. Conk. It is popular with newcomers, because of its price, but that seems to be its only advantage.

Bay rum is a classic, in the world of shaving soaps. Everyone makes one, so you have plenty of options to choose from. Mike's, Mystic, CRSW, B&M, Strop Shoppe, Captain's Choice, LASSC, Ogallala, Reef Point, TTFFC, WSP, etc. Not all bay rums are created equal, however. Some are clovey, some are not. Some are sweet, some are not. Etc. Figure out what you are interested in, and then try a few soaps.

I think CC got quite a bit of praise pre-artisan boom because it was a decent low cost soap that was widely available but now there is a lot of competition in that price point. It's not a bad soap but M&P is almost a bad word and glycerin based soaps are often looked down upon as being inferior even when they aren't. I think it's a good soap for it's price range once you figure it out, which really isn't that hard to do, but it's one of those that is just overlooked a lot.

I have two CC soaps, bay rum and Rio Grande Lavender. Both smell great. Hard, for me, to lather. I have to bloom and soak my brush in hot water. If I do that and try to usecwarm water to later, they work fine. Not the best shave by perfectly adequate.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Colonel Conk imo, seems to be a beginner's entry soap and gateway to better soaps. I first started with VDH & Williams years ago, then finished off a puck each of the Bay Rum, Lime and Almond of Conk's.

That lead me into mainstream soaps of Cella, MWF, Proraso and Tabac. The rabbit hole got much deeper after that.

I brought the Bay Rum, Almond and Lime scents of these soaps. I've had no problems lathering or using them. I find them to be both slick and protective. Still, better priced soaps out there that perform better and last longer.

If it works for you, keep on using it. It's certainly better than spending $30+ on a bar of soap like many collectors here do.

If it works for you, keep on using it. It's certainly better than spending $30+ on a bar of soap like many collectors here do.
All depends on your reasons and goals honestly. I never started with the intention id savings money,, which is. A good thing! [emoji38] that's one of the best parts of your hobby because you can save money or you can explore all the options or be somewhere in between.

I use a ton of different soaps and creams, honestly my main soap is mama bears coconut. But I have a few pucks of the CC almond, and when I bowl lather (it's the only soap I bowl lather actually), it provides a great shave, with an ok post shave. That being said, in terms of scent alone, cc almond is by far my favorite.

I use CC Bay Rum quite often and I really enjoy the soap.

Like said by previous members, you have to learn to use it. Especially used with a synthetic brush, it gives me great shaves. I think it performs better if you bloom it a little longer than other soaps.

There is a ton of soaps out there and I won't limit myself to this one but when done, I will for sure bring back an other CC in the rotation.

Marc

Top Bottom