What's new

Floid Blue and Aqua Velva

I've read a whole lot of threads here about how great Floid Blue is--you guys make everything sound so appealing. You could sell anything to anyone. So I bought a big bottle. Its OK, and I'll have no prob using it. But I'm not getting the awesomeness I expected. I already have the Vigoroso, so I know & like Floid. I think the Vigoroso is terrific. The Blue just seems a little dull. Perhaps I am a newbie with an unsophisticated sense of smell, an inability to detect all the different "notes" in scents, but to my mind I just spent a lotta dough on a watered down Aqua Velva. Now I love AV, but I don't pay to have it shipped in. I just go down the street and get a nice big bottle for 5 or 6 bucks. If you put Floid on me in a blind test I would immediately say it smells & feels like watered down Aqua Velva. I'm curious what other guys think.

I agree, 100%. I have all five Floids, and Blue ranks fourth in my book. Vigoroso and Suave are very similar to me, but Vigoroso gets the overall nod because it comes in the 400ml jug, whereas the Suave is not available in that size. I enjoy Black, but it's a completely different experience. Blue and Amber are both very weak to my nose.

I agree, 100%. I have all five Floids, and Blue ranks fourth in my book. Vigoroso and Suave are very similar to me, but Vigoroso gets the overall nod because it comes in the 400ml jug, whereas the Suave is not available in that size. I enjoy Black, but it's a completely different experience. Blue and Amber are both very weak to my nose.
I never tried Suave, but I have a sample of the Amber. Its OK, but I tried and like Vitos aftershave better. Ended up getting a big bottle from Italian Barbers. Its cheaper than Floids too. I never tried the Black. I really like Italian splashes-I have big bottle of the 2 I mentioned as well as Proraso. Great stuff. So I was a little disappointed in the Blue. Thanks for confirming my feeling.

Thanks guys, you've put me out of my misery !!
I live in Mallorca, Spain
Floid Vigaroso is readily available in 150ml and 400ml bottles at €5,50 and €11,50 respectively, I've got a 400ml bottle in the middle of my Shaving Den
Floid Suave is fairly easy to come by in 150ml bottles at €6,50, I preferred the Vigaroso, so I didn't bother buying another Suave after I used it up
BUT - Floid Blue is nowhere to be found and I've been almost tearing my hair out debating on whether to bite the bullet and buy a bottle of Blue at a premium online
Now I know it's not much different to Aqua Velva, I'll stick to what I've got
Williams Expert Aqua Velva is readily available in 200ml glass bottles for €3,95, I like it, and use it as one of my go to aftershaves, but I find the scent to be a bit tame
I bought a 3.5oz plastic bottle of Ice Blue Aqua Velva on eBay for €3,07 + €3,51 shipping from USA to Spain - I prefer it to the Williams - it's one of my all time favourites and gets used sparingly on special occasions

Well, I just ordered AV (Williams) from Spain! I do hope I like it, but I consider it a test. If I don't like it, at least I'll know! I'm more curious about the Myrsol that's also on the way. :)

I can appreciate the comments above, but have to admit that Floid Blue has a lightness and zip that AV Ice Blue does not capture.
Both are great; I'm see no reason to be a monogamist!

$proraso blue morris forndran feather floid dr harris windsor april 12 2016.jpg

$williams kent schulze wednesday aqua velva december 16 2015.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've read a whole lot of threads here about how great Floid Blue is--you guys make everything sound so appealing. You could sell anything to anyone. So I bought a big bottle. Its OK, and I'll have no prob using it. But I'm not getting the awesomeness I expected. I already have the Vigoroso, so I know & like Floid. I think the Vigoroso is terrific. The Blue just seems a little dull. Perhaps I am a newbie with an unsophisticated sense of smell, an inability to detect all the different "notes" in scents, but to my mind I just spent a lotta dough on a watered down Aqua Velva. Now I love AV, but I don't pay to have it shipped in. I just go down the street and get a nice big bottle for 5 or 6 bucks. If you put Floid on me in a blind test I would immediately say it smells & feels like watered down Aqua Velva. I'm curious what other guys think.

You have described the exact same opinion I had to a "T". Floid Blue is just ok. It also seemed like a very expensive "watered down" version of Aqua Velva. But the Vigoroso is great stuff! :)

I don't think AV (Italy ) is watered down AV Americano ,I think it has its own personality just like Myrsol Blue does.The Euro versions of Williams Aqua Velva have different formulas then our American AV does , however the American AV has had a few formula changes since the 50's to be sure.My favorite Floids are the Vigorosos from both Spain and Italy ,followed by the Suave produced in those 2 countries...The Floid Blue EDC is much more potent than the regular Blue...

To echo much of the above, I also enjoy Aqua Velva Ice Blue a great deal (the American version). I would choose it over Floid Blue or Amber, but well behind Vigoroso or Suave. I happened to choose Suave this morning (out of my 60+ choices), and am still enjoying the fragrance and face feel nine hours later. I also enjoy Floid Blue, which ranks among the top half of my choices, due largely to the amazing Floid DNA. Floid and Wm Neumann are my favorite AS families.

By the way Colonel ,did you know Edelsteine has expanded their output to now include their own "BLUE" ?

Attachments

• $edelblue.jpg
    $edelblue.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 137
  • $Edelstein_Edel_45_Kopie.jpg
    $Edelstein_Edel_45_Kopie.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 136

Interesting.

I picked up the 400ml bottle in Italy (can even be found in larger Supermarkets) and the larger bottle is the toned down version, even though on the label it says only "The Genuine".

"Vigoroso" and "Suave" seem to appear on bottles for the Spanish market, even though the 150ml "Vigoroso" (Spanish import) bottle can be found in Italy as well if one knows where to look.

B.

I never tried Suave, but I have a sample of the Amber. Its OK, but I tried and like Vitos aftershave better. Ended up getting a big bottle from Italian Barbers. Its cheaper than Floids too. I never tried the Black. I really like Italian splashes-I have big bottle of the 2 I mentioned as well as Proraso. Great stuff. So I was a little disappointed in the Blue. Thanks for confirming my feeling.
I read a couple reviews saying that Vitos is a little weak in scent and longevity (although I don't know if that was specific to one product or across the board). Have you found the strength/longevity of the Vitos to be pretty good?

Interesting.

I picked up the 400ml bottle in Italy (can even be found in larger Supermarkets) and the larger bottle is the toned down version, even though on the label it says only "The Genuine".

"Vigoroso" and "Suave" seem to appear on bottles for the Spanish market, even though the 150ml "Vigoroso" (Spanish import) bottle can be found in Italy as well if one knows where to look.

B.

,,,,,,,You mean the 400ml bottle is a different formula than the 200ml and the labels don't announce that fact ???...Wonder if that's the same story for the Blue dopobarba ??

I read a couple reviews saying that Vitos is a little weak in scent and longevity (although I don't know if that was specific to one product or across the board). Have you found the strength/longevity of the Vitos to be pretty good?

Which Vitos ???...The Mentolo and Ice are mostly for cooling and disinfecting the skin,not for an all day cologne.The Acquarelle is more potent , but smells 100% synthetic....The "Aftershaving" is one of the all time greats,with great lasting power ,loads of powder and just the right spicy muskiness ,this is what Clubman smelled like in the 50's...Vitos Lavanda is good ,but don't expect legendary Italian Lavanda aroma like Atkinsons or Coldinava....

I recently picked up a bottle of AV blue. Going to give it a second chance and compare it to Floid Blue. (Currently my fav.) Here's hoping.

Here's a tidbit from theitalianbarber : Edelsteine is made by Figaro (Italy ,not Hungary ).The formula is not the same however,and now we must realize the 200ml and 400ml are different as well...

Here's a tidbit from theitalianbarber : Edelsteine is made by Figaro (Italy ,not Hungary ).The formula is not the same however,and now we must realize the 200ml and 400ml are different as well...
Can Italian Barber get Edelstein? Now I wonder if the 45 is just the Figaro Monsieur with a different label slapped on it? Thanks for digging around.

Top Bottom