What's new

Wild caught Colgate Shave Stick

I recently found and bought a Colgate Shave Stick. The soap itself looks unused and smells quite nice.
I haven't used it yet since I don't normally face lather. As it is important still have 3/4 of a Arko stick left that I've had for a year now.
Those of you familiar with and or used it often when it was commonly available, how's it compare to Arko and does anyone happen to know the ingredients list? This one doesn't list ingredients, though that doesn't surprise me since it more than wasn't a requirement at the time of its manufacturer.
$tmp_2727-20160526_161908-1979632214.jpg
$tmp_2727-20160526_161846-1120042191.jpg
$tmp_2727-20160526_161820-2054472851.jpg

I believe it is still available, though in a modern packaging.

I like the scent and performance and I am a BIG shave stick user

proxy.php

Pre-printed price, weight printed in fractions, no UPC. Amongst those criteria, your find has to date from 1972 or so at the latest, and likely much earlier. It is in pristine shape. Good find.
You can now find Colgate only as vintage product, though the Palmolive stick is still available in limited international markets and can be brought home from the auction sites for under $5.00 shipped. Think of all the obscure stuff we can get, thanks to Internet, that we had to live without 25 years ago.

Pre-printed price, weight printed in fractions, no UPC. Amongst those criteria, your find has to date from 1972 or so at the latest, and likely much earlier. It is in pristine shape. Good find.
You can now find Colgate only as vintage product, though the Palmolive stick is still available in limited international markets and can be brought home from the auction sites for under $5.00 shipped. Think of all the obscure stuff we can get, thanks to Internet, that we had to live without 25 years ago.

Thanks you for all the wonderful information on this shave stick. Other ther outside being a little dirty, the soap appears to have never been used as far as I can tell.

Wow! $5.00 for a Palmolive stick? They're on sale in my local supermarket for 50p (about 40 cents). If I'd known, I would have brought a stash out to the US a couple of weeks ago and mailed you a dozen. Someone, somewhere, is making a big killing.

Wow! $5.00 for a Palmolive stick? They're on sale in my local supermarket for 50p (about 40 cents). If I'd known, I would have brought a stash out to the US a couple of weeks ago and mailed you a dozen. Someone, somewhere, is making a big killing.
Sorry, 50p is more like 75 cents - my mistake!

Great collecton. Which is by yout opinion best performer?

poslato sa LG L65

Arko by a large margin.

If you can't abide the scent of Arko, then go for Tabac stick since Irisch Moos has been discontinued... AND NO you can't have any of my MOOS stash :nono:

Arko has a similar pricing difference. It sells for around 1 TL in Turkey, which has traded from $0.40 to $0.34, but is sold on auction sites and other online vendors for $2 to $3 unless you buy in bulk, and even then it may come to $1.00 per stick. Sometimes they lose part of that margin on "free shipping" and the auction site takes at least 10%. By the time the dealers sell a lot of other stuff at lower margins, deal with a few problem returns, and take the hit on a few badly estimated shipping charges, they usually do not get rich selling to the world. Plus, it is labor-intensive packing and preparing shipments, so volume is limited.
I did end up finding a US supplier that sells Palmolive for $0.98 but I imagine shipping is not included. B&B vendor WCS sells for $3.75 but they usually do not include shipping. Like anything else, if you look long enough there can be overall cost differences that are threefold or even fivefold. It pays to shop around.

Top Bottom