What's new

Need advice on selecting a backpack suitable for a young successful business guy

I am graduating college soon, at the age of 36. I managed to squeeze a bachelors degree into 2.5 years while being a road warrior at work, and a father to two young kids with a rockstar wife. I'm at a point in life where I can afford decent things so I'm torn because my mom would like to buy me a nice graduation gift but I don't want to ask for anything too crazy. I like a backpack because I do still travel some, and a briefcase isn't real conducive to the giant laptop I'm issued. For an idea of the style that suits me, I really like the Tumi Alpha Bravo Kingsville Deluxe, but I don't care for the price ($500). The leather trim and ballistic nylon look sharp and I feel it will age well. I'd like a pack that matches my mid/upper level manager status at work to replace my standard Swissgear I currently have. Does anybody else have ideas or input? I've looked at Filson, Saddleback, and Tom Bihn so far. Please give me your ideas.

Below is the Tumi that I like for a reference.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 159
While not helpful in the slightest I carry a rush12 am very happy with it, to be real briefcases and suites while mandatory in the world of business are beyond annoying for travel and since you spend most of your time in transit or generally not doing business I see no reason to spend $500 on a business safe back pack when for $80-$100 you can buy a pack tough enough to withstand combat.

How big is this laptop in regards to dimensions and weight? If it is a beast, backpack may be your only option for comfortable travel. However I would consider a briefcase with a shoulder strap. Have a look at Mitchell leather. Their briefcases are made to order, quite a bit of dosh, but absolutely stunning and fitting if you are in senior management.

A lot of the commuters in London have either a backpack, or a messenger bag type. Almost no briefcases
I'm sure. But I will not sling a book bag on my back and go into a customer's office. I could not have worn a backpack into a court room when I was practiced law. Might just be me, but I would not feel comfortable with such a bag. The gym? Sure. But otherwise, not for me.

I'm sure. But I will not sling a book bag on my back and go into a customer's office. I could not have worn a backpack into a court room when I was practiced law. Might just be me, but I would not feel comfortable with such a bag. The gym? Sure. But otherwise, not for me.
It is also very job and company dependent. There are conventions, and I agree a lawyer can't stroll in with a backpack.

Things have definitely changed with this. Backpacks are kind of now, sort of, acceptable for some business folks.

I feel like I've seen some Swiss army ones or something like you describe.
I think it may depend on what you do for work. My boss carries a messenger bag, but a back pack wouldn't cut it.

I carry a more traditional Filson 256 in dark brown.

Congrats on the many accomplishments too!

I think a successful business guy looks and carries himself like he's ready for the next promotion, job, challenge, etc.; imo, a backpack cannot look like this.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Backpacks are fine, suits and all. I love that Tumi as well, but haven't gotten the muster to spend 5 bills on it either. Just can't do it. I use a Timbuk2 messenger backpack because it doesn't have any zippers or pockets on the outside. It's flat. I always have an irrational fear that someone is rummaging through my backpack as I am going up up the escalator at Penn Station. I've seen it happen to other people. And this backpack eliminates that possibility. And I hate that pregnant bulging look of the typical IT guy backpack. This one is fairly flat and looks good in most situations. Someday I'll get that Tumi.

Congrats on your perseverance and obtaining your degree. That requires a lot of commitment with all of your other responsibilities.

I don't think backpacks are suitable for business, especially if you travel in a suit or coat.

I should have clarified my role a bit better. I manage tech support for a heavy duty truck manufacturer, my customers are dealerships and the technicians they employ. I do not spend any time in the courtroom where I agree a suit and briefcase would be appropriate. My typical attire for the day is business casual, with some suits and occasionally jeans with a dress shirt.

While not helpful in the slightest I carry a rush12 am very happy with it, to be real briefcases and suites while mandatory in the world of business are beyond annoying for travel and since you spend most of your time in transit or generally not doing business I see no reason to spend $500 on a business safe back pack when for $80-$100 you can buy a pack tough enough to withstand combat.

i currently have a 5.11 MOAB 10 for my casual daily carry with the typical dad load out for 2 small kids. I agree that a briefcase is horrible for travel, especially when I have more than just papers and a laptop with me.

How big is this laptop in regards to dimensions and weight? If it is a beast, backpack may be your only option for comfortable travel. However I would consider a briefcase with a shoulder strap. Have a look at Mitchell leather. Their briefcases are made to order, quite a bit of dosh, but absolutely stunning and fitting if you are in senior management.

It is an HP desktop replacement. 15", but 5.2lbs without the aux battery I travel with. I have a nice briefcase with a shoulder strap, I used it for two trips and couldn't carry everything I needed in it, and it was heavy on my shoulder.

It is also very job and company dependent. There are conventions, and I agree a lawyer can't stroll in with a backpack.

See my response to Lmarkow above.

Things have definitely changed with this. Backpacks are kind of now, sort of, acceptable for some business folks.

I feel like I've seen some Swiss army ones or something like you describe.
I think it may depend on what you do for work. My boss carries a messenger bag, but a back pack wouldn't cut it.

I carry a more traditional Filson 256 in dark brown.

Congrats on the many accomplishments too!

Thank you! It was a tough road while trying to be a good dad and balancing work with free time(I had none). I currently carry an all black Swissgear that is the typical "IT" droopy style and it works, but it's definitely not an ideal look as I'm moving up (which I have been),

i appreciate everyone's input.

I worked in NYC, wore a suit and commuted daily from the suburbs by train (except when flying to some other part of the world) so I really can't relate to your backpack requirements. I can say that I would never wear a backpack with a suit as I would most likely mess up the suit and probably, over time, ruin it. Based on your job description, I would suggest both a backpack and a briefcase of some kind, usage determined by where you are going and how you want to appear to your clients. Appearances do count.
Kudos for your drive and determination. Hope it takes you where you want to go.

How about a briefcase with wheels and an extendable handle?

There are many styles of "Mobile Office" gear available ... these are larger than a conventional briefcase and can easily accommodate your laptop and accessories, along with your lunch, a grooming kit, and other personal items.

If you need frequent access to your laptop, this would be easier to manage than a backpack, and you can load it down with as much weight as you need to carry without it messing up your suit or your backbone.

The first brand name that comes to mind is Targus, but I'm sure you can find more upscale (and costly) versions from other manufacturers. I would avoild designer labels (like Kenneth Cole or Ralph Lauren) and stick with a plain-jane design that will be appropriate no matter where you go or what you do.

You can't go wrong with a tumi back pack ,I have one. It's probably 8 yrs old now. That thing is a tank. It still looks fantastic and not one defect in it yet. If I ever need another which I'm hoping I won't. It will be another tumi.

Top Bottom