What's new

Sneakers

I am not a fan of today's trend toward lurid Day-glo colors in athletic shoes.
I want simple.

Recommendations? Feelings on the topic?

I work out in my athletic shoes. To me, that makes them a tool and I don't really care what they look like. New Balance has always had some shoes that are low key. I would check out an online retailer tailored to your activity. You should be able to find some understated shoes. For running shoes I am a big fan of runningwarehouse.com

I no longer own any, I wear either soft brown leather zip-up "Wellington-style" boots or lace-up Tactical boots for mileage or dark brown zip-up antique leather lace-up cap-toe boots for nights out

My boring blue and white Asics sneakers for running get cascaded to the gym when they're run out. The old gym shoes then get donated.

New Balance for me, for years now. The model numbers have changed slightly over the years but the style look is basically the same - cross trainers white with a little blue trim. I don't remember past model numbers. Current pair are 608v2 cross trainers from Kohls.

Classic sneakers:

Converse
PF Flyers
Vans

Subdued modern athletic shoes:

New Balance
Keen
Karhu
Nike (a few models, like the Cortez and Air Force)
Adidas (a few models)

I've worn the Brooks Beast for years with no issues. The Beast is made for heavy middle aged guys, so Brooks knows that the market isn't one for neon running shoes! They're always a mellow color combination. I run in mine until the soles are pretty worn. Then they become walking around shoes. The old walking around shoes go to the local Goodwill. And the cycle continues....

I've worn the Brooks Beast for years with no issues. The Beast is made for heavy middle aged guys, so Brooks knows that the market isn't one for neon running shoes! They're always a mellow color combination. I run in mine until the soles are pretty worn. Then they become walking around shoes. The old walking around shoes go to the local Goodwill. And the cycle continues....
Where do you buy them? Do they produce/stock wide sizes? Thanks

Where do you buy them? Do they produce/stock wide sizes? Thanks
I've only bought them in stock sizes. As to where you can find them, I've seen them available at stores that emphasize running type gear. In the Dallas area Luke's Locker (where I've bought mine) and Run On! both carry the Brooks Beast. I've never looked for them in a big box general sports store like Dick's Sporting Goods. Do a google shopping search and you'll see the places that sell them. Your name suggests you're from Texas, and if you're the Dallas area check out Luke's.

I've only bought them in stock sizes. As to where you can find them, I've seen them available at stores that emphasize running type gear. In the Dallas area Luke's Locker (where I've bought mine) and Run On!, both of which carry the Brooks Beast. I've never looked for them in a big box general sports store like Dick's Sporting Goods. Do a google shopping search and you'll see the places that sell them. Your name suggests you're from Texas, and if you're the Dallas area check out Luke's.
I was born and raised near San Antonio. My Texas adult life was spent in the Austin area. I did live and work in the Dallas area briefly, in Duncanville I think it was. But no longer reside in Texas. Was about to say no longer a Texan but not sure that's completely true, [emoji6] Looks like Foot Locker and many other stores carry then as you said. I like New Balance but it doesn't hurt to be aware of what else is out there. I can remember when I loved Adidas then could bit longer find any that would fit me so had to look elsewhere.

I was born and raised near San Antonio. My Texas adult life was spent in the Austin area. I did live and work in the Dallas area briefly, in Duncanville I think it was. But no longer reside in Texas. Was about to say no longer a Texan but not sure that's completely true, [emoji6] Looks like Foot Locker and many other stores carry then as you said. I like New Balance but it doesn't hurt to be aware of what else is out there. I can remember when I loved Adidas then could bit longer find any that would fit me so had to look elsewhere.
I'd been a New Balance guy since college until I tried the Beast. The guy at Luke's suggested it in '00 or '01. Every few years they tweak it, but (fingers crossed) they haven't stopped production. As long as fat ole' white boys are out their jogging, they have a market!

proxy.php

Top Bottom