What's new

What's your favorite piece of classical music?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Attachments

• $hair.jpg
    $hair.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 82
I was a concert violinist a long time ago. Favorite composers to play overall were the five, but hard to pin things down. I suppose I would have to say Pictures at an Exhibition, Griegs's Piano Concerto in A Minor (main piece in the best concert I ever played), A Night on Bald Mountain, Die Fledermaus, and Sibelius' Finlandia. Finlandia is magnificent.

Brahms' Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn never fails to move me, and I will second Copland's Appalachian Spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww - that is an unfair question!

Some days, it's Mahler's 9th.

Other days, it's Ravel's Piano Concerto in G. Then again, it could be Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto. Or Takemitsu's From Me Flows What You Call Time. Then again, how about Dutilleux's Metaboles? Or his Shadows of Time? Or Vaughan Williams' Lark Ascending?

Today, it was Ravel's La Valse. Tomorrow - who knows?

That was yesterday. Today, it's:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Beethoven's 13th or 14th String Quartet ... the 13th if I'm allowed to restore the original ending (Grosse Fuge); otherwise probably the 14th.

I know, technically it is Baroque but

Every time I listen to the Brandenburg's, I am awestruck by their brilliance. I am personally drawn to versions of the concerto's that were performed on period instruments and have slightly different tempo's than some modern versions. Yeah, they're baroque, but awesome choice!

Favorite classical piece? I really don't think I could pick just one. Most of Haydn's symphonies fall into my favorite category. I'll toss in a string quartet that I enjoy. This is Joseph Hayden's String Quartet Op. 74 No. 3 in g minor, 4th movement. This quartet is an easy one to massacre, but Kodaly rarely dissapoints:

May I add one more? (I could probably add 100 more, but this is the last one :001_smile )

Jumping forward around 100 years from my previous post, I always enjoyed Brahms' Variations on a theme by Haydn op.56. I always thought this was a very clever and well thought piece. I think Brahms claimed he based this on an unknown piece by Haydn that he found, but, just my opinion, it is more likely he based this on Haydn's style of experimentation and evolving music. Either way, it doesn't matter, I think Brahms development of this piece is brilliant.

Top Bottom