What's new

Question about Corn Huskers lotion

I've read lots of reviews on this lotion (B&B, Drugstore.com, etc....), and a lot of people find it very moisturizing.

This product has Denat. Alcohol as its second ingredient, and the other ingredients don't seem to be super moisturizing either.

So the question, despite all that, how can it be so moisturizing ?

I gave it a try. The stuff is really, really thick and even when I applied a small amount to wet skin, it still felt sticky. Nivea balm works better for me. There was the issue of the smell too....it smells to me like something baby-care related and grossed me out. It's a faint smell but it lingers.

Hey Rafik,

Do you remember what the last ingredient is?

Boric acid
. (I looked.) Now, I don't know, but it doesn't sound too user friendly.

very tacky and sticky unless you do have very dry cracking hands. I used to unload trucks so alot of contact with cardboard. Corn huskers was great b/c it absorbed immediately but these days...no way

I have used it as a hand and foot cream but have not tried it as an ASB as some around here use it. I thought it worked pretty well and the slight scent didn't bother me.

I use Corn Huskers Lotion as a pre-shave. I believe it helps, as I seem to have a rougher shave if I omit this step.

Shouldn't CH be drying with its high alcohol content?

I don't know that it has a high alcohol content. Alcohol is the second ingredient. isn't glycerin the first. it could be 98% glycerin, 1% alcohol and lesser amounts of the remainder.

I have used it. it takes a long time to dry or be fully adsorbed. I recall that it was moisturizing. but I did not care for the scent. Not a man scent in my opinion.

Something merely containing alcohol doesn't necessarily mean it's drying. Most witch hazel solutions contain 15-20% alcohol as a stabilizer/preservative, but you'd never feel any alcohol burn or drying sensation from them.

I don't know that it has a high alcohol content. Alcohol is the second ingredient. isn't glycerin the first. it could be 98% glycerin, 1% alcohol and lesser amounts of the remainder.

I have used it. it takes a long time to dry or be fully adsorbed. I recall that it was moisturizing. but I did not care for the scent. Not a man scent in my opinion.

Something merely containing alcohol doesn't necessarily mean it's drying. Most witch hazel solutions contain 15-20% alcohol as a stabilizer/preservative, but you'd never feel any alcohol burn or drying sensation from them.

Maybe the content doesn't just have anything to do with how high an ingredient is listed ?

Maybe it has more to do with the number of ingredients; the more the ingredients, the lower the % of that ingredient

Maybe the content doesn't just have anything to do with how high an ingredient is listed ?

I thought I had read that the contents were listed by percent of content with the greater being first. This does not tell us the percent of each ingredient though. Someone will know for sure.

where are you guys getting your corn huskers???

on the bottle i just bought water is the first ingredient and glycerine is the second and alcohol is third.

I think the stuff is great. But I don't use it straight. As others commented, it's probably a bit too thick.

I mix it 50/50 with water and use it for my polishing pass. Works great. The razor glides across my face like it's on ball bearings. I also use this mix on my hands. It absorbs very quickly and doesn't leave my hands feeling greasy.

I also mix it 1 part corn huskers and 3 parts witch hazel. I rub this on after my shave to clean things up and as a combination toner/moisturizer. After it absorbs, I apply my after shave.

My theory on why the alcohol doesn't dry your skin? I think there's just enough in there to thin the glycerin enough to let it flow. But I still think it needs further thinning.

~Jeff

I use it as a pre-shave for my last pass, and it works great for that. It helps the razor to glide across my face on that ATG pass. However, I don't care for the smell, or the stickiness it leaves on your face afterwards, so I just stick to using my Nivea Sensitive ASB afterwards rather than using the CHL as an after shave.

I use it almost every day. I don't use much. It absorbs in a few minutes and the scent goes away. It does very well moisturizing my face. You can then apply your cologne.

Top Bottom