What's new

Son's Birthday

I want to thank the B&B community for their past input help on what to get my eldest son for his Birthday.
The long awaited day has arrived. Today is my son's Birthday. He is big on his appearance and has told me on several occasions that he wants to be clean shaven. He turned 14 today. He started shaving last year with the once a week peach fuzz. So I gave him one of my fusions to get him accustomed to shaving.

Here is is what I selected to get him started with wet shaving.

Merkur 34C
Omega 80266
Derby Blades (I may bum one or two off him to try)
RazoRock - Alum block
Thayers Witch Hazel -non scented
Razor & brush stand

I have enough soaps & creams he can try. If he likes some of the scents I will give him one as I have duplicates. I also plan on taking him to the local AOS to let him select a soap or two. I want to get him started correctly and get him off the cartridges & goo before he starts looking at shaving as a chore.

Thank you gentlemen.

Joe

Last edited:
One small tip though, using only one shaving cream/soap and getting the technique down can really help a beginner. I suggest Taylor of old Bond Street as it's easy as h*ll to lather

Great gift, BigJoe, and I wish I could have done this with my son so many years ago.

My only quibble would be swap the Derby's for one of your favorite blades and one you can predict a bit how it should perform for him.

That way you both have a good baseline to work from.

I did much the same thing ... and it was so worth it. :)

He still doesn't shave all that much (last weekend he informed me he only shaves on Saturdays -- which sounds like he's finding his own "ritual" for his shaves), but he still likes his DE and I'm sure to keep stocked with blades, soaps, etc. It's fun

That should make great memories for him later. I wish my boys would shave. I have two of shaving age but they have blonde hair and scraggly beards and won't shave very often, and use electric when they do.

Oh, I failed to mention it's tradition in my family to pass down firearms. So I am giving him , I failed to mention it's tradition in my family to pass down firearms. So I am giving him my Winchester 94

Thank you for the replies. He was pretty happy with the gifts. My wife was surprised that he took such an interest. We sat there and talked shaving for an hour. I went over everything with him. He was surprised that I told him to wrap up the Blade after his once a week use and toss it. I told him rather than sit there and let his nine year old brother get hold of it and collect germs it was better just to toss. I let him know we could afford the $0.09 per week.

Top Bottom