What's new

Anders' shaving journal

First shave: Gillette 1953 English aluminum tech, Astra SP (1), Semogue 1470, Haslinger Aloe Vera and Nivea sensitive after shave balm.My first use with the haslinger, managed to mess up the water/product ratio and got a really thin lather, but it was usable and i achieved a DFS with some irritation.

2nd shave-Same set up, except schafmilch instead of aloe vera, the shave went really great, although as before some irritation and a small nick just above my adams apple that i got when i went ATG. Still some stubble left on my chin. Really dont know how to get BBS right there

Hey Anders - it will come with time and you will get great shaves. I find as I get older and the skin seems to get a little looser - that lifting my chin up in the air and jutting my chin out a bit tightens that area up a bit so I get a better shot at getting very close. Using my offhand to hold down skin by collarbones and lifting head makes neck taught for shaving.

Have a good weekend!

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Good stuff from labrax. I tend to get a better shave on the chin with WTG, xtg, then xtg the other way. But nice shave! I tried haslinger for the first time this week. It is great stuff (I too think I had had it a bit wet the first time)

Sounds like you are on the right track. Enjoy the journey! I will look forward to more of your updates! Post some pics of your gear and daily shaves...always a treat to see what others are using.

So managed to strip the threads on my Tech today by dropping it in the bath tub. I managed to fix it by wrapping some tooth floss around the screws, but no shave today. I also managed to nick the Astra blade while fixing it so o threw it away.

Prep: Long 20 min. bath and washed my face with clearasil face wash. I also splashed some warm water on my face prior to shaving.Equipment: English set 32 aluminum tech La Toja stick (first use) Astra SP (1) Semogue 1470 (really starting to break in) Gillette series aftershave balm. Todays shave really went well, first WTG and then XTG. I managed to nick myself just below my lower lip, but the styptic matches fixed it up. Decided to follow you guys' advice on pulling the skin on my chin up, and where I managed to do that i can feel noticably shorter stubble. Thanks for that one!The la Toja was SLICK! I expected a lot after my test lather, but it really blew me away. And the mentholated ASB was really nice, it might be even better than Nivea sensitive. BTW i really dont understand how I make my post not look like a wall of text, can anybody help me here?

Wow, that la Toja smell really is something. I cant seem to loose it, not even sure if i like or dislike it yet

Today's shave: Schafmilch, Astra SP (2), tech, Whipped dog HM 24mm, gillette series ASB. Really nice shave today, some spots on my cheeks really shaved nice and i think i finally understand what "no pressure" means as i shaved those areas. otherwise, DFS with some stubble left on my chin, but no irritation this time. think i'm going to just let the BBS come and not chase after it.

Yesterday's shave:

Equipment:
Tech, Haslinger Aloe Vera, Semogue 1470, Gillette series ASB, Astra SP (3)

Started out with a shower and a face cleanse. First pass (WTG) did a nice job of mowing down what little whiskers had managed to grow within the last 24 hours. Second pass (XTG) also went nice. I decided to go just ATG on the neck this time and leave it at that because this is where i am most prone to irritation. Third pass (ATG) was more like a "cleanup pass" as i didnt shave my neck.

All in all, the shave went pretty irritation free and it was an acceptable DFS (BBS on my cheeks, but my chin still had stubble).

Today's shave! Sorry for the terrible pick, but as i'm mostly doing this for myself i suppose it doesnt really matter

Attachments

• $13329651_1050840151656962_884167270_n.jpg
    $13329651_1050840151656962_884167270_n.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 98
Are you using an Aftershave? Also, how is the coconut treating you? I'm a TOBS fan, figure the coco has to be pretty nice... Also, any pic, is a nice pic!

OK, so the shave today went just as yesterdays shave, with the notable exception that i used TOBS instead of haslinger. The post-shave feel is not as good, but with ASB i believe i can live without haslinger. The scent and lather are really luxurious and that alone makes it worth having in the den

Ok, so getting a little lazy updating the journal. Have had two shaves since last updates, with the same gear as before with the exception of the soap. First shave was with Proraso white. I really like the menthol and i feel it's a great performing soap, but it just does not compare to Haslinger in terms of slickness. I also threw away the blade after six uses as it became really dull

Top Bottom