What's new

New natural stone incoming

So I recently ordered a new natural stone from japan. It seems to be taking forever to arrive! It's a very blue stone...almost blueish white. Rated 5+ very hard, and it's pretty large. Ozuku mizu asagi.
I also ordered a tenjyou, and mejiro nagura. Asano stamped.
I've been honing for quite some time now, and shave with my own edge exclusively, but I've never used a stone like this. Never a jnat.
Is there any information that the hone meister in here can bless me with?

Any helpful guidance would be very appreciated!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There is a lot of info on the subject, and it would be hard to condense all that info into a singe post. However suffice to say every Jnat has its own flavor and it is up to the user to figure out how to best extract it out.

For your first few outings I would take a razor with a freshly reset bevel, maybe hone it up half way up whatever progression you use and go from there.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Welcome to the Jnat world!

The tenjyou and mejiro are mid-grits. You will need a tomo nagura but a worn diamond plate will work, especially on a 5+ hone. I saw the image, looks good!

You will need to shave test off both the naguras, the grits on these two can overlap so you'll have to test which one is coarser/finer...

Make sure the hone is flat, use a light milk slurry with one or both the Mikawa naguras. Use a thin tomo nagura slurry and then strop and shave. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the info, I'll try this to the letter, and report back on how it goes. The host stone itself does come with a tomo nagura, and also I'll mousy likely get a koma nagura, if I can find a decently priced one.

You're in good shape then. Koma are unfortunately expensive and you should have no trouble going mejiro->tomo. That said, I am glad I have one, I *do* feel they add something.

Tenjyou and Mejiro are more or less interchangeable, though. As Steve said, find which one you like better.

When I do a full Mikawa progression these days I usually do botan->mejiro->koma->tomo. If anything, I think I want to get a bigger botan at some point. I find I rarely use my tenjyou anymore.

Top Bottom