What's new

Slickest lathering soap?

Which soap is the slickest? One that needs a brush for lather, not Cremo. :biggrin1:

So far, for me, Williams has been the best. I get good lathers and it's very slick.
MWF was a huge disappointment. I get a great lather, but it's not very slick.

You're likely to get a lot of different answers to your question. In my(albeit limited)experience, many of the soaps I've used are so close in slickness that it almost isn't worth comparing. Tabac is one of the highest on that list, as well as Fine, Stirling, Barrister and Mann(white label AND Latha, the only difference I find between them is post shave), DR Harris, and WSP(Rustic and Formula T).
The search for the perfect soap seems personal and ongoing, and there are enough variables it will be different for everyone. Good luck on your journey. :thumbup1:

I certainly agre that differences diminish as you gain skill in lathering. B&M, CB, SV, Valobra, MdC, Cade, Tabac and Maggard's are among the slickest I've tried followed by soaps like Williams, Cella, Arko and MWF.

I know they are technically creams but Baume.be and Castle Forbes I find very slick in combination with cushion, etc. Calgary, Alberta, Canada made Midnight and Two is also very slick when you add enough water. It's a very thirsty soap like Barrister and Mann but is a veg soap.

There's the initial slickness provided by the lather ("add enough water ...") and then there's _residual slickness_.

For some lesser soaps, the two are mutually exclusive. Great soaps provide both.

I would say Haslinger Schafmilch but think that probably most any soap could be considered slick lather if you loaded enough of it onto the brush.

You're likely to get a lot of different answers to your question. In my(albeit limited)experience, many of the soaps I've used are so close in slickness that it almost isn't worth comparing. Tabac is one of the highest on that list, as well as Fine, Stirling, Barrister and Mann(white label AND Latha, the only difference I find between them is post shave), DR Harris, and WSP(Rustic and Formula T).
The search for the perfect soap seems personal and ongoing, and there are enough variables it will be different for everyone. Good luck on your journey. :thumbup1:

+1. There are so many variables: technique, water hardness, amount of water, etc. Any good soap should provide more than adequate slickness, but there are other factors to consider, such as cushioning, residual lather, post shave feel, to name a few.

Good luck.

Lots of variables will affect the sickness of a soap.

For myself, Tabac and Arko are on the top of the list.

B&M(le petit Chypre) and Groom are right behind. Your water quality, quantity and how you load your brush will make a big difference.

Marc

Top Bottom