What's new

Bike tire recommendations

It's been just about a year since I started road cycling, mainly for one triathlon I did last September and I hope to do every year. I purchased a road bike with Kenda 152 tires (700 x 25C). Shortly after asking my sister how often she changes her road tires, my rear tire gave out last night. Twenty-seven miles from home! Luckily, I was meeting my wife and daughter 5 more miles up the road. I ordered a set of Specialized Armadillos. Does anybody have experience with these? Any tire you prefer? How often do you swap tires? I hear a lot about Gatorskins, but they are a bit pricey...

Jerk offs in my area have a habit of throwing painted tacks on the bike path I ride so I just buy cheap tires. I may try Gatorskins though, if they'd hold up to that.

I cannot recommend Continental GP 4000s tires enough.
I have them on both my bikes: tri-bike and fixie. I work on the weekends at a bike shop. You can tell a lot by what the techs put on their road bikes. Almost all of the road riders that ride clinchers that I work with run Continental GP 4000s tires. They are more expensive than the gatorskins, but I find them more than worth it. I used to run Michelin pro 3s and pro4s, but I was always disappointed at their life. Someone gave me a gatorskin tire a couple of years ago. I was running a gatorskin on the front and a GP 4000s on the rear. Rear tires wear faster than the front as that is where the weight is, but the gatorskin died much sooner and had more flats. I know that Amazon reviews are not always the best (evidenced as here on badger and blade as their are many many 5 star reviews of wetshaving products that are hated here on B&B), but I think the Amazon reviews are pretty indicative of this tire: http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Grand-Prix-4000s-Cycling/dp/B00PUE4NKY. Many people reference getting 5000 miles out of this tire. I know I am close to 5,000 on mine. It is a high performance tire with low rolling resistance and high puncture resistance and good tread.

FYI, flats usually come in threes, so be ready for your next two.

I just realized that there is a newer version of the tire: http://www.amazon.com/Continental-7...0G8QGSYC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

I know people that ride $8,000 bikes who ride this tire, and I know people have rescued bikes from the recycle bin and thrown this tire on. I forgot I have tried armadillos as well, and they performed about the same for me as the gatorskins.

I always run my tires 100-110 psi for low rolling resistance and it will lead to less flats, and I always install my tires without a tire iron (roll it on with your hands to avoid pinch flats).

Cheers and keep the rubber side down.

Last edited:
Jerk offs in my area have a habit of throwing painted tacks on the bike path I ride so I just buy cheap tires. I may try Gatorskins though, if they'd hold up to that.
Unreal! Lots of broken glass on my trek last night, but I don't expect to be doing that ride a lot.

I cannot recommend Continental GP 4000s tires enough.
I have them on both my bikes: tri-bike and fixie. I work on the weekends at a bike shop. You can tell a lot by what the techs put on their road bikes. Almost all of the road riders that ride clinchers that I work with run Continental GP 4000s tires. They are more expensive than the gatorskins, but I find them more than worth it. I used to run Michelin pro 3s and pro4s, but I was always disappointed at their life. Someone gave me a gatorskin tire a couple of years ago. I was running a gatorskin on the front and a GP 4000s on the rear. Rear tires wear faster than the front as that is where the weight is, but the gatorskin died much sooner and had more flats. I know that Amazon reviews are not always the best (evidenced as here on badger and blade as their are many many 5 star reviews of wetshaving products that are hated here on B&B), but I think the Amazon reviews are pretty indicative of this tire: http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Grand-Prix-4000s-Cycling/dp/B00PUE4NKY. Many people reference getting 5000 miles out of this tire. I know I am close to 5,000 on mine. It is a high performance tire with low rolling resistance and high puncture resistance and good tread.

FYI, flats usually come in threes, so be ready for your next two.

I just realized that there is a newer version of the tire: http://www.amazon.com/Continental-7...0G8QGSYC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

I know people that ride $8,000 bikes who ride this tire, and I know people have rescued bikes from the recycle bin and thrown this tire on. I forgot I have tried armadillos as well, and they performed about the same for me as the gatorskins.

I always run my tires 100-110 psi for low rolling resistance and it will lead to less flats, and I always install my tires without a tire iron (roll it on with your hands to avoid pinch flats).

Cheers and keep the rubber side down.
Thanks for that insight! And I am being more diligent about keeping the rubber side down since separating my shoulder in March!

Have been running GatorSkins on my road bike for quite a few years now, and so far, not one flat.

Out on one of the local bikeways we get a lot of large 3 corner jacks, and prior to the GatorSkins had 4 flats in the one ride.

This was the last one I picked up when riding, it had embedded itself quite deeply into the GatorSkin, wasn't game enough to remove it while riding, but at the end I was able to pull it out and it didn't puncture.

$11200817_10203078425796128_4994691728320052180_n.jpg

I'm in London where our roads are notoriously bad on tyres I've had a set of Panaracer RibMo on my commuter bike for two years now without a single problem and the roads here are covered in flint I also ride on tow-paths . Other tyres with a high level of puncture protection that roll decently are Maxxis Refuse which are excellent also especially if you are in the USA as they are readily available unlike here in the UK or Schwalbe Durano which are popular with the bike messengers .
If you want a faster training tyre Continental GP 4000 ii as mentioned above is hard to beat or try Vittoria Open Pave CG a very durable race tyre that's popular on the cobbles of the Paris -Roubaix which is the toughest road race in the world .

Thanks for your input, guys.

I stopped at the LBS on the way home just to get a cheap temporary and they had only two tires to select from: Kenda Kwest at $24 and Gatorskin Hardshell for $55. I took the Kwest just to get me through the weekend and I'll keep it for backup.

I'll post back on the Armadillos. I'll keep the Gatorskins and GP 4000s in mind for next year.

There is so much glass on the roads in Chicago I just get cheap tires and toss them once they get too many cuts. I just purchased some Mr. Tuffy liners. I have a friend who swears by them for preventing punctures.

I have pretty decent road conditions and my primary concern is rolling comfort and performance. The Continental Grand prix 4000sII has given me fantastic performance and has been very durable with only one flat that was due to a piece of sharp metal that would have killed any tire. They are very lightweight and the rolling resistance is very low. I recommend checking the available online tables to adjust the air pressure to your weight. At 200 pounds I am a bit of a Clydesdale and I use 110-115 in the back and 100-105 in the front, but a lighter rider could drop that a bit and be more comfortable on the road without picking up significant rolling resistance. Going from my old tires to these I could feel a huge improvement.

I recommend checking the available online tables to adjust the air pressure to your weight. At 200 pounds I am a bit of a Clydesdale and I use 110-115 in the back and 100-105 in the front, but a lighter rider could drop that a bit and be more comfortable on the road without picking up significant rolling resistance.
Hadn't come across this before. Thanks!

Legion

Staff member
My touring bike came with Schwalbe Marathon tires. I have put a ton of miles on them now, I commute to work every day, and so far (knock on wood) no punctures, and the tread is holding up very well.

The Armadillos showed up yesterday. They have more tread and feel quite a bit heavier than the Kenda 152s, but I guess that is the price you pay for increased traction and durability. Might have to switch to a slicker tire for race day. I'll keep the current setup with the front Kenda 152 and rear Kwest for now...

Seems SO long ago now that I used to ride, I really miss my Litespeed Ulitmate and the sound of Campy components for company on the open roads.

Anyway, I only ever used Michelin or Vittoria rubber, was fanatical about checking tire pressure, and due to worries about damaging rims made me replace the rubber whenever there where any signs of wear. Funny, people loved getting my old tires for free :)

Well, I swapped the Armadillos on yesterday, but the rains came, so I went out on them for the first time today. I don't think they are appreciably heavier than the Kendas, now that I compared them to the front Kenda, which wasn't as worn. They roll well, and the added traction cornering will be appreciated. Think I'll like them...

Armadillos have been great. No punctures. No significant wear. Just ordered a set of GP 4000S IIs anticipating a ride across Florida in March (180 miles in 2 days). I won't swap them until late February.

Top Bottom