What's new

How many hours a week do you work?

Been doing 40 hours a week on a new job for Uncle Sam. It will go to 48 hours every other week as I will need to work a Saturday or Sunday. Also I volunteered to work on federal holidays if the staffing needs are required. This job requires people or person every day of the week.

This is a sensitive topic for me. I generally work 40 hours a week. I love my job, but I don't define myself by my job. There are other things I want to do and I take my free time seriously. If you average more than 40 a week, then it just becomes expected of you. I wouldn't normally get paid for the extra hours, so its not a financial thing for me.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Typically 37-38 and still considered full time. Never more than 40. Not by choice - cause if we could, I surely would be all over the OT. The directive from corporate is ABSOLUTELY NO OVERTIME. If someone must work overtime it must be approved by the district manager and/or regional vice president. But that is a very rare circumstance. I haven't worked overtime in 2 years. So to play it safe all full timers are scheduled 37-39 hours.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
SlyMoose:
I'm a retired Sergeant First Class (SFC), Army Veteran of 24yrs (I would average I worked a 60hr work week), and retired Department of Defense (DoD), Army Civilian Employee of 10yrs (I would average I worked a 40hr work week [with OT if authorized]), and a retired 'Life-Time' CEC® with the American Culinary Federation (ACF). :thumbsup:

Now...in the 'twilight' of my careers...I 'chill-out' and enjoy life & 'pitty-pat' around the house and yard, but I never forget the three 'C's of life; cooking, cognac and cigars.
proxy.php

View attachment 655410"Retirement only means that it's time for a new adventure". Author Unknown

Last edited:
50 hours a week minimum, and not by choice. It's shift work and lots of overtime opportunities. Days off are 4 in a row, and when I'm off...I'm off. I spend my free time with my lovely wife, 2 daughters and 2 dogs. I still manage to squeeze in an hour of workouts almost every day.

About 37 hours a week on the average week, but a lot more sometimes. In the past I have put in quite a lot of extra hours "off the clock" but that won't be happening any more. It got me absolutely nothing, not even a thank you. I'm already working for about half of what the previous generation of employees in my position made; no need to give them an extra second of my time for free.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What it takes! I own the company.

:thumbup1: I hear ya. I'm in a similar position. Self-employed, but participating in a number of different things where I am an owner. Duties may be divvied up among us, one way or another, but we're all still on the hook when it comes down to it. Hours vary wildly, depending on what is going on at the moment. Sometimes, it feels like I'm doing nothing but working and sleeping. Other times, I will have a day where I couldn't "work" if I wanted to (but there always is something to read, research, explore, etc.)

Things tend to be seasonal, which is nice. I just got through a very busy period, and I hope that things slow down (as they normally do) for the Summer. Things often slow down during the Holidays, as well, although the first couple weeks of December sometimes can get pretty hairy.

:thumbup1: I hear ya. I'm in a similar position. Self-employed, but participating in a number of different things where I am an owner. Duties may be divvied up among us, one way or another, but we're all still on the hook when it comes down to it. Hours vary wildly, depending on what is going on at the moment. Sometimes, it feels like I'm doing nothing but working and sleeping. Other times, I will have a day where I couldn't "work" if I wanted to (but there always is something to read, research, explore, etc.)

Things tend to be seasonal, which is nice. I just got through a very busy period, and I hope that things slow down (as they normally do) for the Summer. Things often slow down during the Holidays, as well, although the first couple weeks of December sometimes can get pretty hairy.
Yep, plus my wife runs part of it, so we are always talking, reading, planning, and finishing paperwork at home.
Employees think I have the same 9-5 as they do, But fail to see the extra 4-5 hrs at home completing the day, making sure payroll is correct and having to read over their reports and double check the work they did for errors, or figuring out how they did it wrong only for them to get paid again to correct it and do it right a second time.

^ ditto here. Nice to be retired. Working as a consultant, hours depended on the number of clients. Varied from 30 to 65 hours per week...

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
40-60 this time of year but normally 45-50
Because of the nature of the job, all positions must be manned 24-7
To keep things fair, overtime is assigned 1st by volunteer, low overtime earner.
So when there are no volunteers the low earner must stay. So you work overtime during the year so that when summer vacation and holidays come you do your 8 and go home. If you are a low earner you stay.
But don't feel sorry for us; Overtime is paid at double time!!

I've always found it funny that a "full time" job is considered 40 hours a week, who only works 40 hours a week and can make ends meet?!

I average 55 hours a week. What do you average?

When I was working, retired now, we worked an averaged 42 hour work week. I did that for 34 years and made ends meet. I am a dinosaur having been one of those over paid unionized workers that everyone seems to hate these days. Maybe that is part of the reason people can't seem to make ends meet these days, the unions have pretty well been decimated over the last 40 years.

Sure there are other reasons too, like not living within your means, taking credit which is way too easy to get these days even if you really should not qualify and the list goes on.

Bob

All depends on the week. Today I started at 4:30 am and finished at 4:30 pm. I was in a facility testing and walked 5 miles checking on different parts of the line. I get to do it all again on Friday.

Which job!!!
The FT job that pays the bills, 45-50
The PT EMT job, 48 hours per month
The VFD, it varies based on call volume but I average 10-20 hours per week

Top Bottom