What's new

How many hours a week do you work?

I've always found it funny that a "full time" job is considered 40 hours a week, who only works 40 hours a week and can make ends meet?!

I average 55 hours a week. What do you average?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
On a busy week I'll put in 43.75 but here lately it's been slow so I''m averaging 41. And I can make ends meet on 40 because a wise man told me "NEVER do a budget based on assumed OT"...

Last edited:
On a busy week I'll put in 43.75 but here lately it's been slow so I''m averaging 41. And I can make ends meet on 40 because a wise man told me to never figure OT in to the budget...

I can make ends meet on 40 But that's about it, not much "fun money" left over

I am salaried, so it is not a matter of making ends meet with respect to work hours. You stay till the work is done, or till you have had enough cause the work is never done. I average about 45-50 hours a week. However, you do have the odd day here or there. For instance, I had to work 14 hours on Tuesday.

For our family, making ends meet is living well within our means. That is easier said than done, especially with kids.

40 for me. I make ends meet now but those 3 little mouths I feed are growing. I really can't get a part time away from the house job because I've got the kids to care for but I am looking into making some tables and a couple other things to make to help with the cash flow. I'd really like to find something I could do from home a few hours a week.

I am salaried, so it is not a matter of making ends meet with respect to work hours. You stay till the work is done, or till you have had enough cause the work is never done. I average about 45-50 hours a week. However, you do have the odd day here or there. For instance, I had to work 14 hours on Tuesday.

For our family, making ends meet is living well within our means. That is easier said than done, especially with kids.

My Job also requires me to stay until it's done. A few weeks ago I had to work 3x18 hour days 1x10 hour day and 1x12 hour day. Fun times I tell ya!

Depends on the time of year. On average 48-52(salaried also). Gift giving holidays it increases. Christmas I average 65-70 a week.

40 hours per week? ... Wow, that's almost a remnant of the past.

I alternate 5 & 6 day work weeks. So, 52.5 & 60.5 ("short" 8 hr Saturday shift)
No little mouths to feed and not a whole lot more else going on, so I don't mind - keeps me occupied. Can only shave once a day anyhow.

Don't care much for the 1hr round trip commute though. :thumbdown

I work 37.5 hours a week and make ends meet fine. Employers will push you as far as you are willing to go. You do a couple 50-60 hour weeks and you are basically signing up to do that for the rest of your career. I like to perform slightly below my potential and then when i perform at my regular level it is noticed positively. People at my work who regular put in 60+ hours a week and decide to work a 40 hour hour week make themselves look bad. It may sound a bit silly but you are likely there for the long term-pace yourself.

One job 40-56 per week, the other 12-28 per week, so the total varies between 52 and 84 hours per week. I am young, on hourly, and in need of cash so it's considered a temporary situation. One day I expect to become salaried and work about 40 per week, but the best laid plans of mice and men...

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
50-60 hours a week here. Used to be much more but I've cut down. In February 2015 I worked 10 weeks straight, 7 days a week and 10-12 hours a day. When the dust settled I looked at how much I had made and then at what a toll it had taken on me and decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

For the most part forty, then I send it on down the line. :wink2:
I do put in a half day here and there on the weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I try hard to only work 40, but if they need me I chip in when I can. I have worked the last 3 Sunday first shift, after working second shift Saturday night. Hopefully I won't have to do it much longer.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
45-50 I try to average. If I put in a lot of long days or weekends I will leave early a few days and kind of average it out. Salary can work both ways if you let it.

Technically 40, but I get paid for my lunch and breaks....so it's really about 35-37 hrs a week.

I've never worked a minute of overtime, never worked an evening, Saturday or Sunday (except when I was on shift work), that's mine and my families time. I have a good job but I'm definitely not making more then many guys on here, I'm just smarter with our money. My wife works too, which helps. We have one back account, don't split bills or take out money for personal use because one of us makes more or less. I couldn't imagine having separate accounts and splitting things up, what a hassle and lack of faith in a relationship.

It's all about money management, prioritizing and being smart. We only buy what we can afford, buy what we want, have two kids, house is paid off, cars, trailer, toys and all credit cards are paid off. We never pay a dime of interest on credit cards, never have and never will. It helps we don't have gamble, smoke or drink. Those vices can drain accounts fast.

Don't put anything on your credit card that you don't have the money for in advance. Pay ALL you bills on time, even your credit cards. Don't put vacations and furniture on creidt cards and pay the minimum monthly payment. Pay your big debts (mortgage, line or credit etc) weekly to cut down interest. We only use CC's for convenience and the perks they offer. Our banking fees are all free as well as our CC's.

Again, I can't stress this enough....pay off your credit cards EVERY month in FULL. Yes, in FULL.

We make ends meet and have plenty left over with no worries or pressure to work OT or get a second job. If I worked 60, 70 or more hours a week, my kids and wife would never see me. What would the point be?

Live within your means.

Last edited:
I would say 45-50, but salaried so overtime doesn't earn more. I have some weeks coming up where that will skew a lot higher because of area festivals. I have to attend and show interest.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
45 hours at the office. I also put a few hours here and there working remotely, although not as much as I did a few years ago.
I sometimes need to communicate with clients from other countries, so replying to a email when they are working can speed this up for what I'm working on. That and we work two shifts and sometimes things need my assistance.
There is a bit of give and take, so if I need to leave early that is never a issue.

Modern technology is great and can help doing your job from anywhere but it can get out of hand easily.

40 hours a week here, excluding 45 minutes for lunch and I make ends meet with plenty of room to spare. We don't get paid overtime unless we're ordered to work overtime which rarely happens (I've worked there for a year and it hasn't happened yet). If we do work longer hours we get to "bank" them and take time off, like leaving early on a Friday or taking a half day off. :)

My current work life is summed up by the following:
"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
-George Carlin
I get to suffer fools between 42.5-45 hours per week, plus I'm salaried so I have no desire to stay back to help those that create fires and feel the need to try and put them out in my time.
I sound bitter but I love my work and a restructuring had caused unqualified people to come in and mess with a lot of things that took me years to get working correctly and since in no longer in a managerial roll, my illustrations of why they are wrong arnt well recived...

Top Bottom