What's new

Dry cabinets

Legion

Staff member
Has or does anyone here use a proper dry cabinet to store their razor collection?

I found a forgotten one at work, and can probably get it for a good price, but I am wondering if it is worth the bother.

I'm curious if anyone here has experience with them.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You mean the electronic dehumidified cabinets? If you can maintain a certain humidity it might double as a humidor for cigars too.

Legion

Staff member
You mean the electronic dehumidified cabinets? If you can maintain a certain humidity it might double as a humidor for cigars too.

Yes, those things. I'm pretty sure they can only dry the air though, not add humidity. Usually they are used for keeping cameras and things like that dry in tropical places. Melbourne, where I live, has pretty low RH, which is why the one I found has sat unused for however long. I'm just trying to justify taking home something I don't really need because it is cheap...

I store mine outside of the bathroom in my office where the air tend to be dryer. I also oil my razors that have carbon blades.

Never used one but a low humidity is likely not a bad thing, too low could also be bad for drying out natural scales though.

No direct experience but I would imagine horn in near zero humidity might dry out too much

Legion

Staff member
Never used one but a low humidity is likely not a bad thing, too low could also be bad for drying out natural scales though.

No direct experience but I would imagine horn in near zero humidity might dry out too much

Yep, it's a no go for ivory, and horn to a degree. I worked in a museum for quite a while, so I am up on the RH of preserving most materials... To be honest I don't need a dry cabinet for razors where I live. My big pickle jar and a satchel of desiccate is fine. I am a hoarder.

The one I use and place it in clothes closet, with small silicon dry packets, away from bathroom that usually is more humid. $847466130_o.jpg$847466168_o.jpg

Top Bottom