What's new

Straight Razor Shave Before Wedding in Japan

I'm getting hitched in Japan in July, and I'm thinking about getting a shave at a traditional barber shop in the Osaka area the day before as a treat. I have some worry about having "irritation" and razor rash the next day, but it's based on member feedback about getting shaves in "barbershops" in the States.

Has anyone ever had a bad shave from a traditional barber in Japan, or have good stories to share? I myself shave with a straight that I hone and don't get irritation.

If you are really worried, you still have time to buy a Kamisori (if you don't already have one), hone it and test it. Then bring it with you and ask the pro to use it. You can always make a story about it being the one your dad was shaved with before is wedding and you want to continue the tradition if you are afraid to offend him.
However, I think it is unlikely that the pro would still have clients if he did not provide perfect shaves. So I would not worry.
But then again, I've never been to a barbershop.
Although there is one downtown Bristol that got me interested...

They use Feather razors over there and are quite handy with them, not like here. Although they will shape your eybrows and earlobe hair while they're at it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Do not do a new shaving experience before a new life experience....

Cheers, Steve

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I had a similar experience in 6th grade at the local barber. Went in for a hair cut came out with a BBS full face shave and reshaped eye brows. My Mom wasn't amused and I went to "stylists" after that.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
At the time in the late 80's a barber cut was 800 yen and a stylist was 3500 yen.

Top Bottom