What's new

Mid-Range Badger Knot Decision

Question for the assembly!

I currently am the proud owner of two awesome brushes, a Maggards 22mm Synth, and a RR Plissoft Monster. They lather great and feel like sweet lather clouds caressing my face.

However, I want to try out a quality badger! Curiosity is getting the best of me. My ideal would be soft tips with good backbone and under $60, so probably a best or finest badger. In order to maximize value, my idea was to get a 24mm knot and glue it into a handle myself. Current potential prospects include a TGN 2-band Finest, Shave Revolution High Mountain, and a Whipped Dog High Mountain (cheapest option). The handle would be a WD drilled 5mm extra so I can experiment with the loft to get my ideal backbone.

The total for such a frankenbrush would be around $50 after shipping, maybe a little more. The 2-part question I have for you all is this:

Would such a project better than just getting a Stirling Finest Badger or RR silvertip at roughly the same price point?
and
If it indeed is the best value, which knot would you folks recommend?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom!

Great questions [MENTION=107293]BF&E[/MENTION]! I don't really have any answers for you however I look forward to what gents wiser than I have to say.

I can't really give much advice to the differences in your choices. In I'm still a newbie, only have three brushes, the last two I've had less than a month.

What I can say is, I have a Whipped Dog 24mm high mountain, drilled down 4 or 5 mm deeper (56mm loft). And it is awesome. It is just a bit scrubby (which I like). The tips are soft, and getting softer as I use it more. Lathers great, bowl and face (I hadn't been able to face lather before this). It is well worth the money.

Check out Vintage Blades brushes in Finest Badger.

Should come in well under your budget and they are quality kit.

1) I enjoy the customization of the brush and setting the knot to your liking, so yeah, I'd go this route. Or, hunt for an older brush handle (something you like, vintage, retro, or new with a junky knot) and replace the knot!
2) I haven't used the others, but I am floored by my TGN Finest (I have the finest and finest F2). It is very nice on the face (once wet it reminds me of my plissoft) but it has more back bone and a bit different experience than the Synths you mentioned.

Good luck! And check out the resto sub forum: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/54-Brush-Making-and-Restorations

Thanks Fishbone! You I've heard good and not-so-good about WD, but from what you say it definitely sounds like a great value.

djh, thanks much for the reference. I hadn't heard of that vendor or their products before, which is why I'm so glad you chimed in! I'm about 7 months into DE shaving and am still doing a LOT of learning, and it looks like they have a ton of great stuff there, not just brushes.

dexutter, howdy from another CO Springs resident! Thanks, you may have just sold me on TGN. I love the softness of my plissoft knots, so with extra backbone and natural hair that blooms in lather, I have to say that sounds perfectly heavenly. Additionally, just like you say, setting my own knot and customizing the loft is a big selling point for putting it all together myself. Kind of like Legos for big kids... :001_rolle

Appreciating all the feedback! Unfortunately I have to go to Poland for the next 5 weeks which will have to put this project and my current blade test on a short hold until I get back, but I love the feedback and help I can get here.

If you're going to buy a knot, you might want to check out The Golden Nib. They have a high mountain white 24mm knot for $59.95. I've not used them, but they have a lot of devotees on this forum. I've been thinking of drilling out a vintage handle and buying one of these high end babies.

dexutter, howdy from another CO Springs resident! Thanks, you may have just sold me on TGN. I love the softness of my plissoft knots, so with extra backbone and natural hair that blooms in lather, I have to say that sounds perfectly heavenly. Additionally, just like you say, setting my own knot and customizing the loft is a big selling point for putting it all together myself. Kind of like Legos for big kids... :001_rolle

Definitely! If you want to see the TGN knots, let me know. You're welcome to come check 'em out! I live on the East side of town (Powers/Woodmen area). If you're looking for old brushes here, head to Denver or Pueblo. Way more to find and better pricing.

If you're going to buy a knot, you might want to check out The Golden Nib. They have a high mountain white 24mm knot for $59.95. I've not used them, but they have a lot of devotees on this forum. I've been thinking of drilling out a vintage handle and buying one of these high end babies.

So tempting! But unfortunately a bit above my price range, and I don't think I can get the SWMBO to buy off on me buying that one this year... But their 2-bands look great as well, so I appreciate the tip! TGN seems to be good quality from all the threads I've lurked on around here.

Definitely! If you want to see the TGN knots, let me know. You're welcome to come check 'em out! I live on the East side of town (Powers/Woodmen area). If you're looking for old brushes here, head to Denver or Pueblo. Way more to find and better pricing.

Nice! I'm out at Falcon. Also, nice to see someone else named Brent, not too common of a name... Anyway, I've heard the Flea Market up at Calhan has some nice things too though I haven't been there. Just use your powers for good! I don't think I'll get there before I go to Europe and don't give up info on potential hidden gems like that likely :001_cool:. But yeah, again after I get back in July, I'd love to see the collection!

Nice! I'm out at Falcon. Also, nice to see someone else named Brent, not too common of a name... Anyway, I've heard the Flea Market up at Calhan has some nice things too though I haven't been there. Just use your powers for good! I don't think I'll get there before I go to Europe and don't give up info on potential hidden gems like that likely :001_cool:. But yeah, again after I get back in July, I'd love to see the collection!

Oh, it does. You have to know what things are though, they have some mismatched sets around (I saw a '47 SS in a Red tip SS case, also picked up a fat boy for $18). But they're really nice out there. I work in Falcon. I'm the dentist in the Safeway center nearest the O'reilly's!

I've said it so many times I should make it my signature. The TGN Finest is hands down the best badger knot for the money imo. Soft tips, good backbone, great for creams, hard or soft soaps, bowl/scuttle or face lathering. It really covers all the bases perfectly, you just can't go wrong with one. I have 5 brushes, one is a synthetic, the other 4 are TGN knots, and I'll definitely being adding more TGN knotted handles to the rotation as I make them.

I own several of the TGN knots. Their Finest knots are a nice knot for the price but for me they have a slight amount of scritch. I was expecting no scritch and it to be a bit softer, still a very good value at $27 and a very usable knot. Mine hasn't shed a single hair. If it were just a bit softer or if I didn't have their HMW knot to compare it to I'd really like this one.

The TGN High mountain white is a good knot as well. I have one set in a Rubberset 400 handle. I like it a lot better than their Finest knot as it's a bit softer while still having a decent backbone and very little initial scritch that softens after some use. The hair on this one is finer and mine has shed a couple hairs just about every shave so far. I did get a replacement knot and unfortunately it sheds as well just like the first one did so I suspect that they're all going to do this. The knot is so packed with with thin hair that it could shed for years and not impact my shaves however it is a bit of an inconvenience. This one runs $60 for a 24mm knot so it's not a cheap knot. The shedding is an issue but I do like the knot.

I also have another TGN knot which is a Grade A silvertip knot. The thing is very soft and very densely packed. I like it but it does lack some backbone making it a slight bit floppy. The knot is huge and very densely packed with really soft luxurious hair but the lack of backbone makes me prefer their HMW offering. While I've never tried a Kent brush from what I've read this would be similar to what that brush offers. Super soft, less backbone and very luxurious. This is $33 for a 24mm knot.

I've tried the regular Whipped Dog Silvertip brushes but not the HMW version. The regular version is a great value but it does lack a little backbone, making it floppy. Still super soft though with no scritch at all. One of the best values in wet shaving and a great starter brush.

Then I tried an Envy knot. The Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip knot for me is a better knot than the TGN knots. It runs about $44 for a 24mm knot and I think $3 to ship it. For me it has just the right amount of backbone, it's super soft, and of a much better quality. I just put one of these into a Wolf Whiskers handle and it's the brush I keep reaching for. I think this is the very best knot offered in this price range. I have this knot in two different sizes. Neither one sheds at all and I choose them regularly. This one is just the right balance, not floppy, good backbone, soft tips, no scritch, doesn't shed and very reasonably priced. Of all that I've tried so far this is the only one I'd buy another of for a brush I planned on using frequently.

Do use silicone to put your knot in if you're unsure of what loft you'd like. You can then use it like that for as long as you want and then pull the knot out and reset it again at a new loft until you find one you really like. Once you've used the brush with the knot set at different lofts then you'll know exactly what you want. At this point consider using some 5 minute epoxy to reset it or just leave it in with the silicone.

A vintage handle that you can refinish yourself by lightly sanding it and applying some plastic polish will make the brush more meaningful because you did it yourself. Plus you'll likely end up with something with some character. Way cooler than a black plastic handle. I'd also recommend a 24mm knot as well since that seems to be the sweet spot for most people.

Last edited:
Awesome Stuff @dfoulk ! I have 2 Finest knots. One of them has some scritch (my F2 finest), the other has virtually none, when wet. I wonder if there is an inconsistency there. Anyway, now I want to try and Envy, and my brush shelf is full :a32:. Couldn't agree more about the vintage handles though. I love mine. I only have one non-vintage... wait, that means I have room for another brush!

proxy.php

Here's the Envy knot in the Wolf Whiskers handle. This is before it's first use. I can post another later on to show you what it looks like now that it's been lathered with.

$038.jpg

Man this post took off way more than I thought it would! I'm loving the advice guys, keep it coming. I'm seeing a trend of high praise for both the TGN and WD knots, which is what I figured, though the TGN seems a little higher end. All this knowledge is hurting my brain, but it's a good hurt. Beautiful brush pictures too!

Here's some pics of the knots. From left to right: Rubberset 400 polished finish with 24mm TGN Finest knot, Rubberset 400 satin finish (unpolished) with 24mm TGN High Mountain White, Adoration with 28mm TGN Grade A Silvertip, Wolf Whiskers with 26mm Envy Luxury Silvertip.

$001.jpg

And a top view:

$004.jpg

Top Bottom