What's new

What type of steel is the Mongoose Stainless Steel SE made of?

No not 316,

I believe 200 series or 301 series at most.
316 is not a necessary stainless type for a razor. It is infarct too much of a steel to use in a razor. Any 301 or 302 series will be sufficent for a razor or a handle for shaving properties. But dont know what mangoose uses exactly.

Last edited:
Why not 316? it is much harder and rust resistant, not?!
I prefer razors to be made of 316

The Rocnel.

$rocnel1.jpg

--Bob

If it were 302 series it would be just fine. Anything like 316 is really over-kill. With 302 stainless it won't rust and it will resist many types of corrosives as well.

Last edited:
Self-explanatory, or should this be posted in the humour forum or am I missing something?
Yep, you missed doing your homework before belittling the Op's question! Read up on the various grades/types of SS, the various alloying elements such as Nickle, Chromium and others. The alloying elements determine how resistant to rust and other environments that particular alloy is.

Wolfman is another SS razor using type 316 SS. Whether it's overkill, I leave it to the reader to decide.

Yep, you missed doing your homework before belittling the Op's question! Read up on the various grades/types of SS, the various alloying elements such as Nickle, Chromium and others. The alloying elements determine how resistant to rust and other environments that particular alloy is.

Wolfman is another SS razor using type 316 SS. Whether it's overkill, I leave it to the reader to decide.

I didn't intend to belittle anyone, that's exactly why I asked, as a last option, if it was me.

Is there a way to know for sure?

You could ask them on their facebook page. I know it is a stainless steel that does not rust. They said that when they first came out with it. That's all anyone should need to know. Hell there are plastic razors that last for many years.

Self-explanatory, or should this be posted in the humour forum or am I missing something?
Missing something bro.... Stainless Steel is a family , not an actual material.

There are a truckload of different Stainless Steels, all with different properties , strengths, and intended uses.

I am not a metallurgist, but I work in manufacturing. We use stainless steel for our product. With the very limited experience that I have with steel, I don't think I would get caught up in the nomenclature. There are some specific quantities of certain components that make up the recipe for stainless steel grades. However, the maker can also add other materials to change the properties, and it is still classified as 316.

What I am saying is, one supplier's version of 316 is not the same as another supplier's version of 316. There is a bit of secret sauce in every formulation.

Bottom line, 300 series stainless is good stainless. I personally don't care beyond that.

All this is just my experience. I don't have the scientific data to back it up...

I am not a metallurgist, but I work in manufacturing. We use stainless steel for our product. With the very limited experience that I have with steel, I don't think I would get caught up in the nomenclature. There are some specific quantities of certain components that make up the recipe for stainless steel grades. However, the maker can also add other materials to change the properties, and it is still classified as 316.

What I am saying is, one supplier's version of 316 is not the same as another supplier's version of 316. There is a bit of secret sauce in every formulation.

Bottom line, 300 series stainless is good stainless. I personally don't care beyond that.

All this is just my experience. I don't have the scientific data to back it up...

Take a moment and read this thread.

Top Bottom