What's new

Next Badger: Simpson 58 or Thater 4125/1

Thinking about spending $ 120-130 on another 24mm Badger brush.

I prefer a fan shape. I prefer 24mm knots that are not too tall.

I have a Duke 3 and am pretty happy with it. I also have a Shave Revolution Evolution HMW Silvertip and I like the softness of the tips. My favorite brushes are my plisson-type-knot synthetics.

Simpson 58 is a Best Badger brush with 24mm knot.
Thater 4125/1 is a 3-band Silvertip with 24mm knot available in a fan shape.

Anybody have experience with these two? Any recommendations?

I have all of the brushes you mentioned in this post, and I like them all I think that my favorite is the Thayter but I have it in 2-band.
proxy.php

The 58 is denser than the 4125 2-band but the fan shape and just the care which the hairs were set is amazing, you can't go wrong with either brush in my opinion.

The Thater 3 band is a really nice brush. It has the softest tips I've ever felt. I sold mine to fund another brush purchase and I do regret it. Another idea is a Rudy Vey custom. A custom RV with a Shavemac 3 band silvertip falls very close to your price range.

I have a Simpsons 57 (also 56, Duke 2, classic 2 and chubby 1). I was considering a 58, so for me the choice is obvious: 58!

(But you really should get both!)

If you have a Simpson in the same hair grade, why not try something different? Thater gets nothing but great reviews...

I'll echo a few previous posts. Since you already have a Simpson brush in "best", then definitely get the Thater. I love my Thater 49125/2 bulb 3-bander. But I'll also recommend, as someone already did, to get Rudy Vey to make you a brush with Shavemac's 2-band silvertip in fan (not the D01).

I purchased a Rudy Vey custom (Shavemac 3 band silvertip knot) recently. Fantastic brush and great craftsmanship. I would not hesitate buying another from Rudy. Email him and he can answer whatever questions you have.

I owned a 3 band thater and it was lovely but i sold after a few people had issues with theirs and thater is not someone you can contact if there is an issue. Thats why i stick with simpson, shavemac, wiborg, etc. I can talk to the person who does them just as the artisans but thats just me.

I owned a 3 band thater and it was lovely but i sold after a few people had issues with theirs and thater is not someone you can contact if there is an issue. Thats why i stick with simpson, shavemac, wiborg, etc. I can talk to the person who does them just as the artisans but thats just me.

Thank you everyone for all your help. Think I will save my money and get another Plisson-style synthetic instead.

Top Bottom